Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Blower speed and ignition wires questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower speed and ignition wires questions

I'm the original owner of a '93 3.0 4WD pick up. A great truck for the last 300,000 miles.
I've been lurking here for a couple of years and always found answers to my questions asked by someone else.
Today I have two questions for the experts.
My blower speed controller will only work on three settings. Low,2ND,NO THIRD, and full.
I pulled the blower resistor and found nothing wrong with it. I Went to a You-pull-it yard and got another out of a same year truck. The "new" resistor is doing the same exact thing. No THIRD speed ( the one I use the most) 3RD runs the fan on LOW speed
Is there a way to troubleshoot the signal going to the plug and or the slider switch?
If you think it may be the switch,how do I get to it? I've never pulled the radio out of the dash in all these years.

My 2ND question is about replacement ignition wires. I bought a silicone set instead of the OEM wires and they do not fit Yota's very nice wiring looms. Are there after market wiring looms to fit my truck? I really liked how the factory ran the wires. Heck,they lasted all these years and just started to developed too much resistance in a couple of them. My bad.
Thanks for such a great site. I've learned a lot so far.

Last edited by Rapidrob; 01-05-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech Gunnersmate, I was a Fire Controlman. To get the dash apart on your year of truck, you have to start removing the panels starting from the passenger side. Sounds like it is your Speed switch that is bad. Been a long time since I pulled one out on your year truck.

Aftermarket wires don't fit well at all. Get your Denso wires off of ebay, much better fit. I get my cap and rotor from the dealer as they are about the same price as parts stores and much better fit and quality.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Sounds like it is your Speed switch that is bad.
Welcome to Yotatech! I actually just had and fixed this problem on my 94 pickup. I had replaced the blower motor switch a while ago and that solved the problem for a while, but eventually it returned. The real problem was a burned up contact on the switch harness plug. I managed to get a basically brand new plug out of a donor truck so I spliced in some new contacts for the burned up plug and picked up a new switch. The first switch I bought I payed $70 for at the dealership. I got the exact same part (Part # and everything) for $20 on amazon. If you can't find a decent plug of another truck the part # for it is 90980-10463. The new contacts with wire for splicing are for the large contacts 82998-12060 and for the small contacts 82998-12170. I had to do some hunting to find these. Below are some pictures of how mine looked like before and After. The burned up contact is the 3rd speed for the blower motor. I am sure you will find something similar. If you have any questions about how to get to the switch or get the plug off the wire harness, hit me up.

-Old Red
Attached Thumbnails Blower speed and ignition wires questions-img_0651.jpg   Blower speed and ignition wires questions-img_0652.jpg   Blower speed and ignition wires questions-img_0653.jpg   Blower speed and ignition wires questions-img_0654.jpg   Blower speed and ignition wires questions-img_0656.jpg  

Blower speed and ignition wires questions-img_0657.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
trainwreck (10-01-2020)
Old 01-06-2016, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the info guys. I will attempt to remove the radio and bottom panel to see if I can get to the switch.