86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bleeding Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleeding Brakes

I know how to bleed them and everything, I'm just a little confused on one think from all the threads I've read.

I only disconnected my rear lines right at the drums because I had to take the axle shafts out.

Do I need to bleed all four brakes or just the 2 rear?

Thank you!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do all 4
Old 03-07-2010, 11:47 AM

Also blead the LSPV
Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

If you are already going to bleed the rear, it's good practice to go ahead and bleed the front too. I don't think I've ever just bled one wheel, or axle; always do all four. Flush the old fluid out while you are at it!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
If you are already going to bleed the rear, it's good practice to go ahead and bleed the front too. I don't think I've ever just bled one wheel, or axle; always do all four. Flush the old fluid out while you are at it!
The Yota book I bought isn't too helpful and mentions nothing about the LSPV. And the one man bleeder kit I got there too, too small for the Yota bleeder valve.

I got my new (to me) 3rd in. But I can't remove the fill or drain bolts to save my life. So I've got the major problem taken care of. Just need to drain the little remaining oil and bleed the breaks...that I can't bleed atm.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Do all 4, start with left front, right front, lspv, then each rear at the wheel. I just did mine and didn't have much luck until I went and bought a mityvac brake bleeder. It made bleeding a one man job and seemed to work well.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Doing all 4 is great and should be done every couple of years.
However you only need to bleed what you opened.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by desertcamper67
Doing all 4 is great and should be done every couple of years.
However you only need to bleed what you opened.
So that means that i only need to bleed the to rear brakes then. What about the lsvp?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:35 PM

The front and rear are separate. If you only opened the rear, you only need to bleed the rear.

FSM says bleed at wheels first, LSP & BV second
Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 PM

well ITS WRONG TO SAY YOU ONLY NEED TO BLEED WHAT YOU OPENED any time you open a bleed screw for any lenght of time air gets into the system THE CORRECT WAY AND ONLY WAY TO BLEED A BRAKE SYSTEM IS THIS
REAR PASSENGER SIDE DRIVERS REAR SIDE FRONT PASSENGER FRONT DRIVERS SIDE
THIS GETS ALL AIR OUT FURTHEST POINT FIRST MY BRAKES ARE ALWAYS TIGHT I GHANGE MY FLUID EVERY YEAR CITY DRIVING U GOTTA
Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by mick cassidy
well ITS WRONG TO SAY YOU ONLY NEED TO BLEED WHAT YOU OPENED any time you open a bleed screw for any lenght of time air gets into the system THE CORRECT WAY AND ONLY WAY TO BLEED A BRAKE SYSTEM IS THIS
THIS GETS ALL AIR OUT FURTHEST POINT FIRST MY BRAKES ARE ALWAYS TIGHT I GHANGE MY FLUID EVERY YEAR CITY DRIVING U GOTTA
X2 on that one
Old 03-08-2010, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by mick cassidy

x3 on that
Old 03-08-2010, 05:56 AM

Heh, I like the passion!

If you look inside your brake fluid reservoir, there's a wall in there that separates the front and back systems so that if all fluid drains out of one, there's still a reservoir for the other system so that the brakes can keep on working (in a degraded mode). There's no way for air to get into the second system if it hasn't been opened.

There may be some argument for doing the other system, as malteserunner said, because then you know that the fluid is all equally fresh. But if you've done it recently and know it's all fresh, there's just no need to waste your time.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:52 AM

well on some master cyl there is a divider in the middle like on chevys but toyotas usually dont have that but in that case maybe just bleed the backs im a brake nut as a few years ago my brakes failed going down a hill hit a palm tree to finally stop in front of a police station ... not good
Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by B4Runner
So that means that i only need to bleed the to rear brakes then. What about the lsvp?
You don't need to bleed it for what you've done.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:50 PM

You don't need to bleed it for what you've done.
Then why do I barely have brakes? I unscrewed the brakeline to take the axle shafts out.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

I'll be wrenching all day Thursday. If you are free, and need some help, let me know. I've got to work on an Exploder in Ahwahnee, so I'll be close by. Later.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
I'll be wrenching all day Thursday. If you are free, and need some help, let me know. I've got to work on an Exploder in Ahwahnee, so I'll be close by. Later.
Man that would be awesome, only problem is that I've got to go to Fresno right after school. I'm going to get all my problems solved in Auto Shop on Friday because I'll have a long period. Thanks though!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by B4Runner
Then why do I barely have brakes? I unscrewed the brakeline to take the axle shafts out.
Did you let the master cylinder run empty? Did anybody step on the brake pedal without the lines hooked up? Without the lines hooked up gravity will drain all the fluid out and then yes you will have to bleed everything. How much fluid did you lose? Did you have to fill up the master cylinder again?

Sounds like you messed up somewhere.

No shop will bleed your entire system if only replacing the wheel cylinders. Of coarse they have no problem selling you an additional bleed and flush of your system though for an extra charge. If you don't want it then just the rears get bled.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM

Did you let the master cylinder run empty? Did anybody step on the brake pedal without the lines hooked up? Without the lines hooked up gravity will drain all the fluid out and then yes you will have to bleed everything. How much fluid did you lose? Did you have to fill up the master cylinder again?
Only about 1/4 cup (max) of fluid was lost when the lines were dinconnected. The brake pedal was stepped on with the lines disconnect. I'm not sure if it matters, but the brake fluid resevoir still has plenty of fluid.

Quick Reply: Bleeding Brakes