Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

BlaZuk!! - installing Blazeland and Zuk stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlaZuk!! - installing Blazeland and 4" Zuk coil mod!

After weeks and weeks of research, I've decided I'm going Blazeland and Zuk rear coil mod.

I'll be the first trying to get 4" of lift out of the Zuk mod, we'll see how that goes!

When I buy parts, I prefer to go with the guy who gives me their good price first, not the one who I work down the most. Quoting me MSRP is the fastest way to get me to move on, no matter how good their end price will be.

I always prefer to work with people who are willing to set a price which makes them a decent profit, have great customer service (I will pay more for this), and a solid reputation.

I bought the arms used from an inmate, and everything but the springs and some of the balljoints from Dave'z Off Road Performance. He and his team really know their stuff, were super competitive from the get-go, and have a great reputation. Dave and his team also had a great sense of humor while we worked through the purchase process, and they had no problem throwing me a quote and then waiting for me to come back when I was ready.

They won my business. Disclaimer - just a satisfied customer with no other relationship to Dave and his team.

My parts should be here over the next week and I'm excited!

Last edited by edeslaur; 05-17-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:23 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool....I have ordered ring/pinions/master kits from Dave. I like the stuff he sells. Nitro Gear and G2 rules
He's a tough one to contact sometimes. Anyways, edeslaur, looking forward to seeing plenty of pics of your 4" lift project. If you are using the 14"
coils then there is basically no chance of them slipping out with stockish shackles and leafpacks.....so that means you can cut the upper steel stopper to 1" if you want to...I'll be watching you....

Last edited by ZUK; 05-17-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: picture change
Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 AM
ZUK

Blazeland modifies existing UCA/LCA's...interesting. Glad to see they recommend Bilstein
Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 PM

looking forward to this build
Old 05-17-2011, 12:57 PM

I'm waiting on my Blazeland kit as well. Should be shipping out tomorrow!

I got the OME torsion bars, bilstein shocks, and a 3" TG lift for the rear.

Keep us posted. I'll be putting up pics and progress in my build thread as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Well, I've already screwed up. I didn't post in the buildup section. D'oh!

I'll do the same thing I do when I fracture a speed law - I'll wait 'till someone notices. Then, when the Admin does and moves it, they can hopefully change the title to match the first post's... LOL
Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 AM

'Scribed! Doing the same thing to my rig! But hoping to configure coilovers into the front suspension so I can eliminate the torsion bars completely. Can't wait to see your progress man!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Parts have billed, waiting for them to arrive.... Whee!!

Monster yard sale on Friday mostly cleared all the stuff stored in the garage for the yard sale, so working on the 4Runner won't be such a pain.

Still need a set of axle shafts tho... Don't want to start until I have those in hand.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:17 AM

Looks like I might have found some axles. And all the parts are in and being assembled. Probably not here in time for this weekend, but then I did tell them that was OK.

Man, this is going to be so cool. I just wish the rear was an LSD/locker instead of open/locker.

Anyone have tips to rough in the alignment? I need to drive 24 miles to the alignment shop, you see, and the tires are new.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM
ZUK

Originally Posted by edeslaur
Looks like I might have found some axles. And all the parts are in and being assembled. Probably not here in time for this weekend, but then I did tell them that was OK.

Man, this is going to be so cool. I just wish the rear was an LSD/locker instead of open/locker.

Anyone have tips to rough in the alignment? I need to drive 24 miles to the alignment shop, you see, and the tires are new.
yaaa....24 miles is just enough where I might eyeball align it.....steering wheel centered......stand 5~10 feet in front of tire....sight down the sidewall and compare to rear tire sidewall "verticalness". This is the camber adjustment....so adjust the top of tire so that it sticks out slightly (about 1/8") compared to the bottom.

Toe is toe....sight it and toe in each side roughly 1/8".
Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 AM

I bought the arms used from an inmate
How did this transaction occur? From here?

http://prison.sandiego.craigslist.org

SoCal prisoners have it so easy.

Last edited by angrybob; 05-26-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by angrybob
How did this transaction occur? From here?
http://prison.sandiego.craigslist.org
SoCal prisoners have it so easy.
Yotatech inmate. No Arpaio here...

Last edited by edeslaur; 06-07-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 AM

Air compressor, lower balljoints, and sundry parts arrived yesterday. 3rd members due soon.

I need to find a set of cost-effective T100 axles. Anyone?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed
Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure what you mean by Cost Effective...but most auto parts store sell CV axles with lifetime warranties for less than $100 a piece.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 PM

3rd member in the mail. Ooohhh... Compressor, brake lines, etc. arrived.
O'Reilly says they don't do shafts, so I made an assumption. D'oh!

CarQuest has 'em ($74) and Dave'z got a reman set too... Hmm, must decide shortly.

Gonna try to hammer all this out over a weekend 'cause I never get out of work on time!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 PM

pics, sounds like this thing is gunna be sooo set up
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 PM

I've heard that the Remanned CV shafts are strong than aftermarket replacement shafts. Apparently the stock shafts are pretty beefy, so I'd recommend gettin the remans. Thats odd though, cause our local Oreily's has remanned T-100 CV's for $65 each O.o
Old 06-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

O'Reilly says they don't do shafts, so I made an assumption.
Strange... I guess you talked to the wrong guy at O'Reilly.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...100&vi=1278738
Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Color me surprised? ;-) Thanks for the links. I've heard the reman ones aren't as good either, but they're a heck of a lot cheaper. The junk yards in San Diego think they want $100 each.

I'm in San Francisco working all week. Hope all the parts are there when I get home!!

Last weekend was brake weekend. The 4Runner (fronts), SWMBO's truck (rear disc), the motorhome (master cylinder), and the motorcycle (pads all around) all needed brake work. Plus an O2 sensor in my daughter's car.

On a separate note, my 285s wobble a bit once you get going on the highway. They're recaps and took the kind of weight I would put on 'em in the early 90s. I ordered them from TreadWright and am pretty pleased so far.

The fellow who mounted and balanced them didn't impress - he took 3 hours to mount and balance 4 tires and all he worked on was my truck.

But I was following a thread about using Airsoft pellets to help balance your tires. So while I had the fronts off, I cracked the outer beads and tossed 6oz into each tire.

After a brief test, I'll be dipped if the steering is no longer shaking at 80mph. I have yet to do any long distance, but the couple of miles sure had me surprised. I'll have to do the rears when I take 'em off to do the ZUK mod.

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled set of patiently waiting for parts to arrive.

Last edited by edeslaur; 06-13-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: BlaZuk!! - installing Blazeland and Zuk stuff!