Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

bj spacer install q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bj spacer install q's

hey guys...

well I got some bj spacers and bilsteins headed up here, and need to know what else I need for the install, do I need different bump stops or can I just go with the stock ones, any ideas would be awesome, and also what about front brake lines?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont have to change anything.

you might consider dropping the dif, you will most likely get some axle bind on full drop
Old 08-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303

you might consider dropping the dif, you will most likely get some axle bind on full drop
But that also depends if you crank the torsion bars much.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:08 PM

^^^

nothing to do with torsion bars.. the IFS will still drop to the upper bump stops if the tire is airborne or in a situation where the flex allows it to drop that far.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 PM

well, torsion bar crank can aggravate the problem by keeping the IFS closer to the binding angle if they're tightened up. ie.. ride height is near or at the binding angle so the suspension will see itself near or at full flex more often...

but regardless the axles will bind with any 1.5" bj lift if you offroad 'er =)
Old 08-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

^^^

nothing to do with torsion bars.. the IFS will still drop to the upper bump stops if the tire is airborne or in a situation where the flex allows it to drop that far.
Then how could the spacer even change that?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

well, torsion bar crank can aggravate the problem by keeping the IFS closer to the binding angle if they're tightened up. ie.. ride height is near or at the binding angle so the suspension will see itself near or at full flex more often...

but regardless the axles will bind with any 1.5" bj lift if you offroad 'er =)
Get manual hubs and hope for the best
Old 08-20-2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Then how could the spacer even change that?
?

The spacer lowers the axle by an inch and a half. It doesnt effect the travel of the upper suspension arm, only the lower. The upper suspension arm still falls ontop of the upper bump stop but the result is the axle being at a steeper angle.

Torsion bars only adjust where the suspension rides at not the overall distance the IFS CAN flex to. However you may never see full uptravel if the torsions are set to tight.

but regardless of where you put your torsions the suspension can and will see full down travel!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:49 PM

and to make note....

When you install BJ spacers your tire camber changes drastically throughout the range of the IFS travel.

Generally you'll see a greater negative camber on the upper side of the travel and a significant gain in positive camber on full down travel. You see this on stock IFS but its much more 'noticeable' with the spacers.

So.....

moral of the story, set your ride height BEFORE getting your alignment done since if you mess with the torsion bars thereafter your camber WILL change.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 AM

I've never heard of one person with this "axle binding issue" after installing bj spacers. I know I don't have it.

The angle of the CV's is definitely worsened, but they don't bind even when rotated by hand.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Contributing Member

I guess I will find out when I install mine in a few weeks.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 AM

I go through a CV axle or 2 every oil change :-D
Old 08-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I've never heard of one person with this "axle binding issue" after installing bj spacers. I know I don't have it.

The angle of the CV's is definitely worsened, but they don't bind even when rotated by hand.
I've run into a few folks with that issue. Guy and his buddy had a similar year 4Runner and pickup, both stock except for the spacers. One had binding in the CVs at full droop and other was fine. After installing a diff drop kit, the binding was eliminated:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DiffDrop.shtml

Probably just variations in the CV cages that affect the maximum angle they can take.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You might consider changing the ball joints at the same time. It makes the process a little bit easier.. especially when you are trying to press the stubborn rusty studs out.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This can be easily determined by simply spinning the hubs by hand when the spacers are installed.

I must say I have not had any issues with this on two trucks I have owned.

Frank
Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I've run into a few folks with that issue. Guy and his buddy had a similar year 4Runner and pickup, both stock except for the spacers. One had binding in the CVs at full droop and other was fine. After installing a diff drop kit, the binding was eliminated:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DiffDrop.shtml

Probably just variations in the CV cages that affect the maximum angle they can take.
yea but you're not selling them till the 28th! =P

I need a pair btw

on my previous chassis the NEW aftermarket CV binded on the bent frame side but that axle angle WAS greater... anyway, the stock one didnt bind at normal drop (like you'd encounter on your rig)

on this new chassis (so now im like the rest of you with straight trucks)

The OEM axle doesnt bind but the new refurbed assuming aftermarket CV does a lil.

its not like it makes the tire hard to spin but you cant miss the uneveness in the spin of the tire and the axles spin, you can definetly feel the axle where it limits out.

Anyway, every truck is different especially on toyota IFS..since they all seem to be a lil different

theres only two solutions, modified upper bump stops (limit down travel) or the better choice, a dif drop.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM

sounds like when i do my bj spacers i'll be ordering the diff drop and sway bar drop as well. guess if im gonna do it i'd better go ahead and do it right ehh? tim.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bejiita
I go through a CV axle or 2 every oil change :-D
holy crap, thats messed up.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea but you're not selling them till the 28th! =P

I need a pair btw

on my previous chassis the NEW aftermarket CV binded on the bent frame side but that axle angle WAS greater... anyway, the stock one didnt bind at normal drop (like you'd encounter on your rig)

on this new chassis (so now im like the rest of you with straight trucks)

The OEM axle doesnt bind but the new refurbed assuming aftermarket CV does a lil.

its not like it makes the tire hard to spin but you cant miss the uneveness in the spin of the tire and the axles spin, you can definetly feel the axle where it limits out.

Anyway, every truck is different especially on toyota IFS..since they all seem to be a lil different

theres only two solutions, modified upper bump stops (limit down travel) or the better choice, a dif drop.
Do you know what brand of aftermarket CV is giving you the binding issues?

Frank
Old 08-22-2007, 07:51 PM

thanks guys!

well thanks for all the info, I have aisins already. hopefully I dont get binding, if so I will just change the upper bumpstops. hey frank, what sizes of tires rub after the install, cause I dont have my bigger tires yet so will the stock size tires rub with stock backspacing? thanks

Quick Reply: bj spacer install q's