Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bizarre Turbo Bogging and High Oil Pressure Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bizarre Turbo Bogging and High Oil Pressure Problem

Hey All,
I Thank You for any help you can provide; here is the story:

I picked up this '87 22ret last summer, it supposedly had a new head and a rebuilt turbo installed. I drove it home it drove fine. I redid the trashed interior (in ABS & Vinyl!) so it sat in a barn over the winter not running.

Well, I fire it up, and it just bogs below 2k. Shakes like crazy with very little power,
This thing has had a lot of hands on it, or just one "motivated" individual tinkering and hacking at this rig; the idle screw was replaced by a hex-head coarse thread bolt(???wtf???), the MAF bypass screw was opened and turned way down. I replaced the MAF, idle screw from local shop, got the timing at 5 with jumper in, have no codes. The compression was 180-175-175-160, the valves have been adjusted and the local toyota shop said that it went excellently after they had run it a bit, but it was still a little rough on take off, and at around 3k. I got in to drive it home and all seemed fine, I go to pull onto the main road and it loses all power, worse than before; I limp it home, and chock it up to a clogged fuel filter. I change the filter, find the 4th plug wire resting against the exhaust manifold burnt and likely shorting to ground. I replace it, test drive; seems fine...then loses all power, worst time yet, barely make it home on the flat.

Start it today to check for vacuum leaks, use noid light, check the injector splices and planned to relieve fuel pressure to pull injectors for cleaning, and the oil pressure goes sky high, and just keeps climbing.

What could cause this? Clogged oil passage/filter?(just replaced filter) Exhaust is also mega-gassy. I'm worried to run it with the oil pressure shooting up like that!

I know this is quite the situation, but any and all advice is appreciated!

Thank you guys in advance.

Last edited by Cadin; 07-03-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM

No help with the over pressure situation?

Anybody have an idea if this is a giant red flag, or should I seafoam the crankcase and drop the oil and filter? Clogged oil relief valve on pump? Bottom end gone and clogging stuff?

Anyone have experience with this?,
I have searched robustly (YT, PirBB, IH8M, 22ret, etc.) and the answers range from "Too high of oil pressure is never bad" to "Too high of oil pressure represents a major problem, don't run it."

The FSM doesn't refer to excessive oil pressure...

I beseech thee, Great Gurus of the Yoat!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 AM

Am I being too vague or rambling, or does no-one really know of anything that would cause a high pressure situation in a 22ret? Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I don't know, but I'll bump ya. What's sky high oil pressure? Check with a manual gauge? Could be that PO put heavier oil in to compensate for that low reading on #4... raises the cold pressure that way, too. Real rich, I would check & test TPS, and suspect o2 sensor as well. Check that your cold start injector and time switch are working right. Also water temp sensor. Beyond that, I've never messed with a Turbo toy..
Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 PM

Appreciate the bump, what I meant by sky high was just the gauge was fine and suddenly began climbing until pegged and the motor started running noticeably more rough and shaking badly, I will put a manual gauge on it and see what I get.

I just swapped the oil with 5w30, is that a low reading on #4? For some reason I thought the others may be high due to carbon build up.

I will shoot the TPS and O2, I pulled the CS injector and fuel injectors to send in for cleaning. The "forward" water temp sensor contact feels very broken inside the sensor, I will shoot it and swap it out.

Thank you for the help!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well... low compression comes from many things. If the rings on that one aren't quite perfect, it'll be a little low on compression. I can't remember, but I think there's only supposed to be a 15~ lb difference in cylinders. Any more could be indicative of beginning troubles. If it's not been maintained well, could also be timing chain related issues. (Jumped, etc) or just a valve stuck a little, reducing compression, and making it run rough. Timing chain issues will manifest similar symptoms.
Is the oil pressure sensor plugged in, not grounding out anywhere? That could give the high gauge reading, too.