Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Birffield Eliminator kit Q

Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birffield Eliminator kit Q

I got the Birffield eliminator kit from skyoffroad and it comes with brass bushings for the inside of the axle that slip inside..
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=143

I was wondering if these can be replaced with the trail gear ones? which are $19 each.
http://www.trail-gear.com/knuckle-service.html

The ones that come in the kit have no lip on them so they slip inside the axle (You can see the brass bushings if you enlarge the pic on the link for sky posted above. It almost looks like there might be a lip on them but there is not.) and I thought the trail gear ones would do this because of the lip on it.

I also thought about putting a little JB weld on the brass bushing that come in the birffield eliminator kit but I don't really want to do that I rather just switch them out..

Thanks
Smod
Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Arent those busshings supposed to be press-fit?
So, regardless of whether it had a lip or not it would stay put..
Old 01-22-2010, 05:16 PM

no. the instructions said i could just use a bench grinder instead of a lathe.. so i did and i may have taken off a little too much which is causing them to slip inside the axle... I didnt have em press fitted but yeah if I did i wouldnt have had this problem.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah, then jb-weld my friend, and if you dont wanna do that get another set and try again...
Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I would have skipped the Birfield eliminator kit and ordered a pair of Dirty 30's or a pair of Longfields
Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I watched a birf eliminator explode (or, listened to it rather) and I think a Longfield would not have. The birf eliminator kits are about as strong as a stock birf.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Longfields, I got an old style for cheap just search. But I like smaller tires than some.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar

I watched a birf eliminator explode (or, listened to it rather) and I think a Longfield would not have. The birf eliminator kits are about as strong as a stock birf.
Hmm I've never heard that they are as strong as the stock birf. They have to be at least a little stronger. The kit was like $400! and it has a lifetime warranty so in the case I did break anything it won't cost anything or much. Maybe I should have gone with the dirty 30s but oh well I'm going to just run the birffield elim kit.

The kit has Dana 44 u joints so I figured it is pretty strong. I know someone who ran these with dual t-cases and front&rear air lockers and he had no issues. I guess it depends on how hardcore wheeling you're doing too. I am running 37x12.50 tires and I have no lockers currently. I will lock it up later on when I get outta debt. So I think I wont have any problems really. At least I hope not. We'll see.

As for the brass bushings I think I will just use JB weld so I don't have to spend anymore money. lol

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOD
it has a lifetime warranty so in the case I did break anything it won't cost anything or much.
now this could happen with a broken birfield too...but an exploding u joint inside a ball housings seems to me like it could do more damage...this is from a thread on pirate where the guy had to drive a little while to get to a spot where he could pull the axle...

a stock toyota SA is said to be as strong as a stock dana 44...
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOD
Hmm I've never heard that they are as strong as the stock birf. They have to be at least a little stronger. The kit was like $400! and it has a lifetime warranty so in the case I did break anything it won't cost anything or much. Maybe I should have gone with the dirty 30s but oh well I'm going to just run the birffield elim kit.

The kit has Dana 44 u joints so I figured it is pretty strong. I know someone who ran these with dual t-cases and front&rear air lockers and he had no issues. I guess it depends on how hardcore wheeling you're doing too. I am running 37x12.50 tires and I have no lockers currently. I will lock it up later on when I get outta debt. So I think I wont have any problems really. At least I hope not. We'll see.

As for the brass bushings I think I will just use JB weld so I don't have to spend anymore money. lol

Thanks for all the help.
Just because something has a lifetime warranty doesn't make it any better. Bobby long has done stress testing on various types of joints and axles, and proven that a stock Birf is about as strong as a Dana 44 axle.

The Longs are not that much more, and you won't have to take your front end apart 6 times when you break the U-joint. As Robb pointed out, a broken U-joint often does much more damage than just the axle.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
now this could happen with a broken birfield too...but an exploding u joint inside a ball housings seems to me like it could do more damage...this is from a thread on pirate where the guy had to drive a little while to get to a spot where he could pull the axle...

a stock toyota SA is said to be as strong as a stock dana 44...
Wow that's crazy. Ok well this all makes sense and I understand everyone but I'm still going to use my birffield elimnator kit and if it blows up it blows up. lol. I just hope it isn't as bad as that one!

I didn't know that a toyota sa is considered as strong as a dana 44. I've never heard that. I'm sure the birffield eliminator kit will work out just fine for me. But maybe I'll eat my words later on. lol. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM

I still can't believe that pic. its insane.