86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

An in between camshaft???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An in between camshaft???

I know one of the most asked questions is camshafts blah blah blah... But I'm looking for a cam more agressive than a 260 but not quite a 440 (I love the muscle car sound... in muscle cars). Any companies make something with a 300 lift or so?
Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 PM

The sound you're referring to is the lope you get when the cam lobes have a lot of overlap and duration not when the lift is huge. If you're hoping to go away from the loping and crappy idle you want to go with a lower duration and less overlap cam. You can max the lift and still have a good idle. http://www.lceperformance.com/Mild-S...-p/1022033.htm for a street cam. Personally I have one more aggressive than this and it still idles pretty smooth.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:23 PM

So do i want a shorter or longer duration?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:24 PM

Never mind. Didn't read that well enough lol
Old 05-25-2014, 07:01 AM

Right now the cam I have uses an overlap of around 9 degrees with an advertised of 255 degrees of duration. There are some cool calculators online http://www.wallaceracing.com/camcalc.php. Just enter the info the website gives you. So long as you keep the overlap under 12 degrees or so you shouldn't affect your idle.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:29 PM

I want a little bit of delay in the idle so I can tell it's there lol. Just not a ton. Any idea about what I should shoot for for overlap?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:32 PM

12 degrees will start to affect the idle. Anything beyond that is all dependent on where you want your power band. The less overlap and duration the sooner the engine will spring to life. The more the overlap and duration the later in the rpms so on and so forth. http://www.lceperformance.com/Stage-...-p/1022036.htm is their stage 2 cam . Lift is a bit over stock so you may need some better springs for it. Also you may need to check the valve to piston clearance before you start it up. The overlap is right at approximately 15 degrees and duration is 270 degrees so its going to lope but wont be so bad that you cant run your brake booster or accessory vacuum items. They also have custom cams that they can build to spec.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:44 PM

So the idle really only changes if I get a stage 2 or higher? As far as LC cams go I mean.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 PM

Well its just depending on the duration and overlap. Their outlaw cam and circle track cams are far more aggressive. The advantage of the stage 2 cam is that it doesn't hurt your engine vacuum like the others will. Mine is at 9 degrees overlap and my vacuum needle lightly flutters at idle.

Last edited by InToxicOne; 05-27-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 PM

Thats strange. Vacuum systems are way over my head lol. If it will still run ok I'm fine with it
Old 05-28-2014, 05:58 AM

Of coarse if you don't have power brakes or anything run off of vacuum youd be fine but your fuel pressure regulator may not work right with vacuum bouncing around. The fuel pressure regulator works its hardest at idle and with a huge variation in your idle vacuum it may cause even more idle problems ie fuel pressure increasing and decreasing with vacuum fluctuation. Not to mention if you go too big you'll have to up your idle speed to keep the engine from dropping out and stalling.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 PM

With any of the cams out there for a Toyota, you are not going to see really any lope to the idle with the lower of the cams, anything from mild street to stage 2 you won't notice any lope. If at all it is going to be the stage 3,4,5, and the outlaw camshaft, and into the circle track camshafts.
But since its not a strictly race vehicle, I would not recommend using either of those camshafts. If you start going with that high of a camshaft, there is a list of things that you will end up having to do. Not just to get the camshaft in but also have the camshaft perform the correct way.

When you start getting in to the bigger camshafts, stage 2 and up. So anything with a lift bigger than a .455, you need to upgrade the valve train as well.
With what i mean there is that you would use a Dual valve spring with a chromoly or a titanium retainer. The reason behind going to a dual valve spring is to give the correct amount of pressure on the valves and the cam, you don't want to float a valve or have anything along those lines.
When going with a camshaft with a bigger lift you want to make sure, that you have valve to piston clearance. You don't want to be slapping the valves in to the pistons.
That is never a fun combo, you end up having to replace lots of parts.

I saw that you said you want to go with something along the lines of a 300 lift.
The OEM camshaft is a .398/.382 split duration camshaft.
The best option for your build would be go with a PRO TORQUER camshaft.
It will give you bottom to mid range power, and with the bigger tires it would be the best set up for you.
You can also run this camshaft with your factory valve train..

One major thing to remember when changing a camshaft is replace the rocker arms.
You can also get them shaved or ground down to make them flat again, but that is something that can also lead to trouble.
The reason that you want to replace the rockers is due to the wear that the camshaft and the rockers do to one another.

If you have any questions feel free to let me know.
Hopefully this has helped you out a little
Old 05-28-2014, 10:39 PM

Haha I find it awesome that you guys are on here. Thanks a ton! The pro torquer was actually what I was looking at. I'd always been told that stock Toyota lift was around .260, but I definitely trust the industry more than word of mouth. Expect an order on a pro torquer within the next month!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:49 PM

So I'm most likely getting the Pro Torquer. I saw the RPM range maxes out around 5,000 RPMs. Will I sacrifice top end because it's meant for low end torque? I run like 3000 RPMs max but this is also my daily driver so I need the top end for the highway. It seems like a brainless question but I just want to make sure.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:01 AM

With this cam, you wont sacrifice top end. After 5000rpm the power increase will just level off. For what is done to your truck, it will be a great thing to add the extra power.
In general it is a all around great camshaft. We have lots of guys running them, and they haven't had any problems with them. They like the extra gains that they get from this.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:58 AM

Awesome. I'm sending my order through right now!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Right on, I got it as it came in. I will get my guy to throw some stickers in there for you as well.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:40 PM

Got it installed today. My valve train is really loud. Is that normal?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 PM

Never mind. Losre rocker arm haha
Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 AM

It happens, I was going to say check all of the rockers arms. If you have anything else you are looking for, or any questions feel free to contact me. That way we can go over everything for you.

Quick Reply: An in between camshaft???