86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

bet theres no answer for this one!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bet theres no answer for this one!

howdy... first off 1988 4x4 std cab 22re stick 190k. drivability issue! ive seen in a few previous posts about an idle/sort of "powerband" throttle response.seems that mas air flow is ok, tps is ok, timing good, plugs cap wires so forth... no apparent vac leak, fuel press good, im kinda leaning towards O2 sensor bein its kind of just hanging in the breeze right now? problem is... no cat, and dual stacks. ive seen posts on bypassing it but everyone advises against it. yes im getting crappy mpg, and idles terrible. warm,cold,dont matter... once rpm? or throttle gets to right spot, takes off like a bat out of hell? rather not change out stacks and exhaust if i dont have to... any thoughts?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Did you check for any trouble codes?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM

i've been running my 94 pickup 4x4 with the 22re for years with no cat and 02 sen.
its never had an idle problem and its always been slow 31's and low gears so i wouldn't
know about it bein sluggish, and its always throwin the sen.code.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Surely you jest, I'll answer just about anything

Surely you jest, I'll answer just about anything. Right or wrong

Lets start off with.. If the sensor isn't in the exhaust flow your going to hit the adjustment limits. (Rich unless your driving in say urban china or similar)

Then as I've said before. If you stomp the pedal to the floor the sensor isn't part of the system.

Have a look at some of the dyno tests. Notice the torque and HP bands. You're not going to get stellar performance at low rpms, Stock.

What gear ratio are you running? This probably accounts for the vast differences people report for acceleration and gas mileage, assuming equal environment.

Straighten out and shorten the intake path, eg AFM swap with hard intake lines. Install an aftermarket tunable ECU, performance cam, and larger/performance injectors.

If you don't have the tougher double row timing chain,(I don't recall off hand what year they changed), Don't expect it to hold up to being abused. eg Your cam timing isn't going to stay good if you keep mashing the skinney pedal. Also the chain tensioner is effected by excess acelerations.

Remeber you have a 4wd it's for crawling over boulders not street racing

Curb weight and heavy tires/rims pretty much kill performance.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM

Denso direct fit o2 sensor from eBay- $29.00. It will pay for itself within a couple weeks. The o2 in your truck had very little to do with emissions. It is for the computer to adjust the fuel injection system. Without it, your engine will run extremely rich, and you will get horrible has mileage. You can run without one if you have a vacuum advance distributor, but you will never get the fuel economy compared to allowing the computer to function as designed. If you have electronic advance, it wont advance. If you have one and it is bad or getting slow, you will have the problems like the op is having.

Also, not all codes throw the check engine light, so you might want to start with pulling codes.

Last edited by BamaYota1; 01-24-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by BamaYota1
Denso direct fit o2 sensor from eBay- $29.00. It will pay for itself within a couple weeks. The o2 in your truck had very little to do with emissions. It is for the computer to adjust the fuel injection system. Without it, your engine will run extremely rich, and you will get horrible has mileage. You can run without one if you have a vacuum advance distributor, but you will never get the fuel economy compared to allowing the computer to function as designed. If you have electronic advance, it wont advance. If you have one and it is bad or getting slow, you will have the problems like the op is having.

Also, not all codes throw the check engine light, so you might want to start with pulling codes.
He has one its just "hanging in the wind", not in the exhaust system.

Not sure which is worse. Limp mode(no sensor) with fixed fuel and timing maps. Or "hanging in the wind" standard map with max rich setting limit.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 AM

ok update, still no cat, codes are coming ive had some battery issues... anyway i cleaned intake/throttle body, and pulled out the air adj screw? on top. carboned up real bad. pulled plugs and inspected them, they looked alittle carboned over and #2 was kinda white like a water issue? ran a compression test 120 to 140 on all 4. gap was set at about 23 i opened it up to 30. oh and i drilled a hole in the exhaust pipe and put the stock O2 in... it does seem to run better (for now) as for co 94s reply lol i know these are not race cars... the ones that i wanted to o fast i mounted small block chevys in...
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Did you reset the ecu by pulling the fuse or battery cable after installing o2? Were you holding the throttle open when you were checking compression?

Last edited by BamaYota1; 01-25-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why would you run with no 02 sensor?

Thats border line stupidity.

Why is my truck running bad? Couldnt possibly be these critical parts I decided to omit.

Jesus Christ.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
Why would you run with no 02 sensor?

Thats border line stupidity.

Why is my truck running bad? Couldnt possibly be these critical parts I decided to omit.

Jesus Christ.
^^Agreed,
Also thought the title was cocky/punk
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM

In regard to "throttle gets to right spot, takes off like a bat out of hell?"

I had the same symptom and mine was the oxygen sensor.