Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Best windshield wipers?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best windshield wipers?!

If your like me, you want to purchase a quality product. What is the best windshield wiper you can buy for a toyota pu/4runner? Mine are seriously shot and in need of replacement.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rain-X Latitude, but they still have to be replaced every year. If you really want to go overboard, treat all the glass with Rain-X Glass Treatment.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
The PO of my '95 sprung for some sort of silicone blades, I don't know what brand, but they work well and are showing no degradation after two hot AZ summers so far. Probably were'nt cheap.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:12 PM

I like the looks of the Rain-x treatment, I'll do that when I replace them.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:15 PM

So far, this is what I see fit.

(rain-x winshield clean kit with windshield treatment)
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/r...ntent=10285742

(rain-x latitude wiper)
http://www.carid.com/1984-toyota-4ru...mJWRoCGLPw_wcB

Last edited by NextR; 02-14-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NextR
If your like me, you want to purchase a quality product. What is the best windshield wiper you can buy for a toyota pu/4runner? Mine are seriously shot and in need of replacement.
Haven't replaced on my '89 Toyota pickup yet, but my '08 Corolla originals started streaking after 6 years use. I figured the Rain-X top-of-the-line was best way to go. Wrong! not enough tension at the ends and they didn't wipe cleanly. Tried some Bosch, not much better. Went to the local dealer and bought new Toyota rubbers and stuck 'em in the OE blades and reinstalled them. Perfect wiping now. Zero streaks. I finally figured out to quit wasting time and money on aftermarket parts.

Rain-X is good. You can even get by w/o wipers in a pinch if you have rain-xed your windshield.

Last edited by JJ'89; 02-14-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bswarm
If you really want to go overboard, treat all the glass with Rain-X Glass Treatment.
Have you tried Aquapel? More expensive, lasts longer there's a Rain-X Vs. Aquapel vid on YouTube.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Wow you people in Sunny California have it easy.

I am lucky if I get 2 months out of the drivers side wiper blade then it gets cleaned and moved to the right side

I do run the Rain-X washer fluid I am happy with that.

Now I am using Anco Winter blades.

I really have never found wiper blades that work much better then any others.

In this part of the country any how.

I tried a bunch over the years.

Now just get what Napa has.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
I really have never found wiper blades that work much better then any others.
^ I agree with that.

I've been driving in the Pacific Northwest for 30 years. It does rain alot here and at times it seems like I might want to help Noah build another boat.

One of the most important things is to have a good UNgrooved windshield.
Sure most people clean their windshield, but they fail to clean the wipers. If there's anything stuck to them it gets drug over the same spot repeatedly wearing small grooves into the windshield. Fine dirt and bird poop are abrasives and might as well be sandpaper. Drag that on any surface long enough and I guarantee there will be scratches and grooves.
Wipers should actually be replaced a couple times a year because they get impregnated with fine dirt and bird poop not to mention they slowly start to harden up. All of those things contribute to scratched glass hampering your vision.

Treating your windshield with Rain X or Aquapel makes the water bead and flow right off when you're carrying some speed. For me both treatments have caused the wipers to have a bit of a jerk/stutter/skipping motion when freshly applied. Almost every car I've been in that has had those windshield treatments properly applied does that for a while. Eventually it will stop but it can become irritating.

I haven't used the Rain-X De-Icer Washer Fluid so I won't comment on it but I have used the All Season formula.
"Removes light snow and frost", not in my opinion.
It's ok, but I found it really doesn't cut the oil/road film that gets thrown onto the windshield. If you can't get rid of that stuff say goodby your vision.

This winter I tried 20/10 All Season washer fluid. I don't know what took me so long to try it because it's made near me and it's been around since I was a kid. I mixed it following the instructions and found it works pretty good for cutting the oils and road film. It's not advertised as a de-icer.

Another good one for cutting oils and road film is called 1Z Kristall Klar Washer Fluid Concentrate. Follow the instructions when mixing or make it a little thinner. Read some of the reviews of it on Amazon, it can be a little sudsy and it freezes at about 30 degrees so it's not the best thing to use in the winter.
Amazon.com: einszett 921008 Kristall Klar Washer Fluid Concentrate - 8.5 fl. oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: einszett 921008 Kristall Klar Washer Fluid Concentrate - 8.5 fl. oz.: Automotive

Last edited by Odin; 02-16-2015 at 11:19 AM.