Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

best way to rust proof your undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to resurrect this dead thread, a friendly hello to Canada, were PA is the tropics, so I'm buying a truck from NorCal and bringing it to East PA, so I wonder what will work best to protect it from a slow painful rust death in PA. Which of these products are best for this? I know prep is the key component here and keeping it clean after they lay salt on the roads, maybe just a simple wash or get the pressure washer out in the spring, and here we have spring?

Carwell
Krown
Amsoil protectant (oil)
Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal protector
CorrosionX
Fluid Film
LPS-3
Rustoleum undercoating

I'm open to anything, they used to have a company that did this for you, called Rusty Jones ++++, but they all went belly up here, since metal today lasts longer and these trucks well are almost dead around here I think, Thanks
Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 AM

hammerite rust cap

Today I got two cans of this stuff one quart size from a friend of mine. I am going to do the frame and other rusty parts. I plan on writing a full revue time laps style with photos.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:44 AM

Rustproofing undercarriage

I am in the process of a truck build and live in the salt belt.The frame from the cab back has been redone with new 1/8'' plate and entire frame was coated with Masterseries Silver which is a moisture cured industrial urethane.I put 2 heavy coats of this on my prepped frame and followed that with 2 coats of the Masterseries Black framecoat a moisture cured urethane with a hardener.Seems to be a great product and priced decently and you don't need to do all the steps like the POR15.I have never used this before so we will see how it works.If you would like info on it pm me.I would post a pic if i could figure out how to.The guy that sells it is awesome and ships fast.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have tried everythng (rust bullet, por15, kbs, rust oleum, sem ETC...) The only thing I have found that works is zero-rust, I have done 4 of my frames and it goes on nice and works very well. The first one I did about ten years ago and it still looks perfect (no rust) and I live in the salt brine state of CT. I would clean your frame then apply picklex 20 then apply 2-3 coats of zero-rust or if you dont have that kind of time or effort just clean and apply. They use this paint on oil rigs in the gulf it works awesome.