Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best cams for mpg and low end power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best cams for mpg and low end power?

'91 4WD 22RE

Engine's entirely stock, outside of MSD spark plug wires and Bosch platinum plugs.

I love this truck. I must; it's the second one I've owned. Of course, my '87 was much less problematic... Looking to get a bit more power out of her, as she has a tendency to kind of lose her zest going uphill, freeway or otherwise. After reading the forums here, I've figured out that a port and polish, new cams, intake, and exhaust headers is the way to go. I like that, assuming it works. Not too expensive, and not gonna kill my MPG, but will still make her run like she looks like she should.

So, question for you all: What'd be my best choice for new cams? Figured I'd go with the Pacesetter headers, and maybe catback, though i hear Flowmaster's catback app is decent, too. Any prefs there? And the K&N FIPK seems like a good bet.

So, any recommendations so I don't screw myself over? Any decent shops you know of that do reputable P&P jobs?

Thanks in advance!

Matt.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First lose the Bosch plugs and replace them with NIPPON DENSO from the dealer , Port and Polish is not as important as bigger valves , the motor needs to breath more then get fuel into the cylinders faster , but if you get both done it may work even better.

I just did mine(full rebuild .20 over pistons and rings) and used the ENGNBLDR 268 and love it but it is more for daily driving and as far as I understand is around the same pulling power in the bottom end as the 261 but has a longer run out duration for freeway speeds and holding them longer , if your going to do more off road with it the 261 from ENGNBLDR seems to be the better choice.

IAMSUPERBLEEDER just rebuild his around the same time as I did mine (.30 over piston's and ring's) is running the 261 with 31 x 10.5's not sure of his gearing and say's it run's out of pulling power around 4750 I believe and say's he should have gone to the 268 for the kind of driving he does with his truck.

My 268 with a L.C. Engeenering Pro Street head get's a nice little pull right at 3k then again at 4-4200 you can feel almost like a second stage , but I have not run it much over 4300 rpm and I am sure the cam alone is NOT giving it the extra umph I also have a supra AFM on this set up with the stock air box removed and a k&n style filter , but if your looking at doing head work for the money ENGNBLDR builds a nice beefed up head very similar to the one I have for HALF the price and it really makes a difference with the cam. With this set up I have 200 miles on the rebuild and got 145 miles on the first 1/2 a tank of fuel since the rebuild with 35 x 12.5's and 5.29 gearing and it is a 5 speed so I think it's safe to say you should not lose any m.p.g. and maybe gain a couple

Check him out at engnbldr.com
he will answer every question you can think of as well as being in my opinion one of the most stand up guy's you can get parts from and if there's a issue he stands behind his stuff like no body else 100% safe to deal with.

Last edited by olharleyman; 09-20-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:15 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
LANDSHRK

i 2nd that about ENGNBLDR....i emailed hime a few days ago and he answered all my questions, with prices about 20 minutes later. i have never done ANY mechanical work, but when i repeatedly hear from members that he has great service it speaks volumes.

i will probably mimick OLHARLEY with the 268 and probably a header as well, maybe a pace setter ( IAMSUPERBLEEDER has one and as far as i can remember, his only complaint was a cheapo gasket and the paint came off minutes after it was run the 1st time...)

he did also say the 261 cam dropped power at the higher rpm range, so the 268 is my choice as a daily driver.

and as mentioned, ENGNBLDR does sell heads...i believe complete with cam etc....is available. as a newbie, this is all intimidating to me but being made easier by the likes of OLHARLEYMAN, IAMSUPERBLEEDER and LUMPY as well as many other threadsi've come across when searching on here. the members run the full cross section from newbies to experts and everything in between.

ps....welcome to YOTATECH

Last edited by 92 TOY; 09-20-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pacesetter? You want to be proud of your headers. Go LCE.
I don't know if they make them for the 22RE but Thorley is another great header. Definitely go ceramic it is a no-brainer. After 3 years my headers look brand new. I saw a friend's non-ceramic headers after a few years and they look like they're ready for replacement. headers you should only have to do once. my 2cents
taiko