Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

best bang-for-buck for servicing injectors?

Old 11-13-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
best bang-for-buck for servicing injectors?

Hi guys, I am about to do a full intake overhaul and want to clean the injectors while I am at it.

I am in the LA area so I know there has to be a shop that can do this quick and cheap, or there is always the click-to-buy set from LCE for 200 bucks.

I did a quick google search and found RC Engineering in Torrance which is super close, and I noticed something really hilarious going on.. Both the descriptions on the LCE page and the RCE page seem to be copy pasted, my guess from elsewhere. Lazy butts

The thing I am seeing as a benefit with the LCE set is that they are equalized- rather than some shop that will only clean them and hand me a report stating that one or two of them have slightly different flow rates. LCE seems to pick and choose their injectors to match, which seems a plus. I am ordering their teflon gaskets (I want reusable because I might swap for 89+ upper intake in the future), so shipping cost is not much of an issue to add a few injectors.

My brain is going back and forth on this, and I don't know how much of a difference it will make. Kinda hope you just tell me to get the LCE set.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Best bang for your buck. Also, awesome service.

http://www.witchhunter.com/
Old 11-14-2014, 01:30 AM

So the flow-matched aspect is a non-issue then I take it?

If you're recommending this I may just look for a place around here to do it. Dunno why but I've always disliked sending things in the mail. Getting things in the mail... that is much different!

Even that RC Engineering place was like $25/injector. Not a bad price to pay for instant gratification and skipping the line at the post office. Gotta be an even less expensive option around these parts I'm thinking, as well. For all I know there is an entire district of LA just for servicing injectors. Maybe I'll stop by NASA jet propulsion labs again... I was actually just there today

Thanks Logan for chiming in and for the rec!

Last edited by jennygirl; 11-14-2014 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
When I had Witchhunter do my injectors, I was at spot in a project where I had some time. I expected my injectors to be pretty gross but I was pleasantly surprised that when they were tested were actually in darn good shape. Obviously they were rebuilt with all new parts and were all flow matched AND repainted and better than before.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
I used whichhunter about 6 years ago for my 22re injectors and had no issues with service. I think I had the injectors back in 5 days.
Recently though, I made my own injector cleaner for another car i have and it worked pretty well for about $30 total. I used this guys video as sort of a guide but I used a pump garden sprayer for a pressure vessel instead of the pipe bomb looking canister he made. I used B-12 chemtool cleaner and then regular gas to clean them.

Another option is to get a set of the upgraded flamethower injectors. I got some last year when one of my OEMs went out after 260k. The price for buying new OEMs compared to the FTs made it a very easy decision. Ive had no issues and I passed smog with them.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:15 AM

I loved those videos. That guy really puts a lot of effort into cutting the shots together well which is great. It's pretty humorous

Yeah I can see why you used a garden pump sprayer.. Sooo much simpler, good idea! Probably only need like 2 brass fittings, right?

Seems pretty legit. Too bad my roommate with the ultrasonic cleaner just moved out, that is the only thing this DIY cleaner method doesn't have that the shops do. That, and the ability to test the flow rate.

Might get the flamethrowers. We will see.

Last edited by jennygirl; 11-15-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I myself would go with Witch Hunter.

It might surprise you local shops just might not want to bother with your 4 little injectors They may not have parts suppliers for them if they don`t cater to that type .

I have run into that myself at the local Fuel injection shop they would much rather just do the diesel trucks for a lot more money.

When i inquired about the same injectors you have I was told it could take up to 4 weeks perhaps they send them out.

If need be buy 4 used ones and send them off then install when they come back
Old 11-15-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Witch hunter all the way
Old 11-16-2014, 01:27 PM
GDR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jennygirl
I did a quick google search and found RC Engineering in Torrance which is super close, and I noticed something really hilarious going on.. Both the descriptions on the LCE page and the RCE page seem to be copy pasted, my guess from elsewhere. Lazy butts

Sounds more like LCE gets their injectors from RCE.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by GDR
Sounds more like LCE gets their injectors from RCE.
Haha, you are probably right. Or maybe it's just a commonly pasted blurb if the procedure is the same for most shops.

I think when the time comes I'll get the flamethrower 4-holes. Then maybe try to sell my old injectors on ebay or something! I like the idea of supporting fellow yotatech people and the 4hole upgrade sounds like it may improve gas mileage a little bit, which I am totally into
Old 11-17-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert m
..., I made my own injector cleaner for another car i have and it worked pretty well for about $30 total. I used this guys video as sort of a guide but I used a pump garden sprayer for a pressure vessel instead of the pipe bomb looking canister he made. I used B-12 chemtool cleaner and then regular gas to clean them.
Originally Posted by jennygirl
... Probably only need like 2 brass fittings, right?
How DID you make the connection to the injector? In the video, he goes to some effort to make a fitting with the right diameter to mate to the oring. When I cleaned an injector (to a car with throttle-body injection -- injector stuck open and killed it on the freeway), I just used the pressure from a can of ChemTool and gravity, with 12v from a battery charger. Not nearly as good (I'm sure) as a pressure fitting.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:43 PM

Its been like 2 years since I did this but I believe I just used some tight fitting rubber hose that went over the top of the injector and hose clamped it on for good measure. Then I used a barb fitting to go from the garden sprayer hose to the rubber hose. I also put a ball valve inline to the injector so I could shut off the sprayer feed and not loose any fluid or air pressure when changing injectors. I'll see if I can dig it out and snap a pic.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:50 AM

Smart... Soooo much easier!

What did you use for power source? AA battery?
Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 AM

9v battery and the same type of push button switch the guy in the video used. If you look on youtube, there are lots of people who have made setups like this and it will give you more ideas.
I've also used the same sprayer for power bleeding the brakes and clutch but modding a reservoir cap.

Last edited by Robert m; 11-18-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Robert m
9v battery and the same type of push button switch the guy in the video used. If you look on youtube, there are lots of people who have made setups like this and it will give you more ideas.
I've also used the same sprayer for power bleeding the brakes and clutch but modding a reservoir cap.
Ha! Nice

I once helped a friend trying to find a leak in his power steering line leading to the pump by using a wine bottle cork and a bike pump + ball inflator needle to pressurize the reservoir. Worked like a charm! And we had everything on hand

Hand pumps are the way to go for this stuff. It's all you need. The pump sprayer is genius for this application. Holds the cleaning agent and everything
Old 11-21-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you consistently use top-tier gas, how much do you need to worry about injectors clogging up? Anyhow, there is supposed to be a way to test injector flow without taking things apart. With the engine off and a pressure gauge installed, you run the fuel pump up to the regulated pressure, then shut it off. First check that it holds pressure; otherwise you need to fix that problem first. Then you exercise one injector for a fixed amount of time and note the pressure drop. Do this x4 (or x6). If your pressure drops are all the same, your injectors are matched.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:39 AM

Wouldnt doing that procedure flood the crap out of your engine?

And sorry, no pics yet. The thing is buried in my garage somewhere.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used Cruzinperformence back in '04 and have no complaints. The price has gone up a bit though. http://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html
Old 11-21-2014, 02:31 PM

I ordered the flamethrowers and a new denso fuel pump.

My 87 has 491,000 miles, and I have no idea when the last time the previous owner(s) serviced these things- if at all.

I'll probably also replace the fuel pressure regulator. I'm in the mood for a complete overhaul.

I've been reading about some issues with the flamethrowers, running rich and whatnot. I'm hoping that's not the case for the ones I get!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your rig has to be lovin' all the attention. ;-)
Cheers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best bang-for-buck for servicing injectors?