Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

BEGINNER'S 22re Timing Chain Failure / replacement / head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have time to try and take pics and work on it at the same time. My wife is into photography so maybe I can get her to take some pics from the stage I'm at now (torn down,cleaning parts) to the finish. The problem is she is watching our 4 year old when I do get the chance to wrench on it,or she is gone and my mom is watching our son. I'm gonna try to finish getting the the bottom timing gear off tomorrow,I just picked up a gear puller tonight.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 YOURE AMAZING! no idea how much confidence/help this has given me. spent $350 on a guy to replace my head gasket. he ended up putting it on upside down the first time which we couldnt figure out then he flipped it and it still leaked. got sick of him so decided to attempt it myself after reading your thread. now have the head off waiting to go to the machine shop. besides cleaning all mating surfaces for manifolds and block is there anything else i should be doing before i put it back together?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by bcole4
92 YOURE AMAZING! no idea how much confidence/help this has given me. spent $350 on a guy to replace my head gasket. he ended up putting it on upside down the first time which we couldnt figure out then he flipped it and it still leaked. got sick of him so decided to attempt it myself after reading your thread. now have the head off waiting to go to the machine shop. besides cleaning all mating surfaces for manifolds and block is there anything else i should be doing before i put it back together?
make sure to clean out the head bolt holes.I'm sure there's a ton more you can or should do while you are in there. so use your best judgement.

thanks for the compliments.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:42 PM

do you think i should have it pressure checked while i already have it at the shop getting shaven or no big deal? Thank you!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 AM

do you think i should have it pressure checked while i already have it at the shop getting shaven or no big deal? Thank you!

this question , I cannot answer. honest. sorry man.
seems to me the machine shop can give you the answer. the paranoid side of me says that they will say "yes" to whatever brings in more $$$, but if it is someone reputable you should get an honest, accurate answer.

at the very least, I would think, the head should be checked for cracks. as I believe a simple dye test is used for that.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 AM

took it to the shop and had to get it welded cause some ports were corroded on the bottom. put everything back together and in the process broke the wire that goes into the round thing below the oil filter..oops.. tried to start it and it turns but doesnt start. does anyone know what that round thing is that the wire broke from? sorry for all the questions but its my first time and im broke so i really need this to work
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
took it to the shop and had to get it welded cause some ports were corroded on the bottom. put everything back together and in the process broke the wire that goes into the round thing below the oil filter..oops.. tried to start it and it turns but doesnt start. does anyone know what that round thing is that the wire broke from? sorry for all the questions but its my first time and im broke so i really need this to work

The round thing that probably broke is probably the ground for the fuel injection and yes,that will cause it not to start (don't ask me how I know)......Ok,I changed the fuel filter on my truck and "unhooked" the round thing going to a wire and was working in the dark. Needless to say my truck wouldn't do anything while cranking it over and I started freaking out. With some more light I found the obvious efi ground and hooked it back up. Depending on what "round thing" it is,it could also be the knock sensor,but it should still run with that,just not very well.

Last edited by Turd Furgeson; 04-26-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM

i i'm doing the same thing right now to my 91 wish i found this thread a mounth ago all i can say thank you-thank you- thank you
Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM

you are welcome. hope it helps.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:17 PM

The crank bolt came out pretty easy using this method:
I used two short 3/8" extensions through the top two holes in the cam sprocket to lock up the motor and a 18" breaker bar with a 1/2 drive 19mm 12 point.
Easy.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:52 PM

For cleaning the head bolt holes, I bought a cheap gun cleaning kit from the local sporting goods store (~$7) and a bronze cleaning brush for a .50 cal. (~$2) I chucked one of the cleaning rods in my drill, threaded on the brush and I was good to go. I soaked the holes in PB blaster for a week and used the brush on them. It worked great, The cleaning kit even came with disposable swabs and a swab holder for getting all the crap out after you're done. This would work for any size hole you want to clean as long as you buy the right size brush. Hopefully this helps someone out.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:56 PM

You really are a life saver! I'm in the final stages of trying to put all the external parts back on after having a local shop up here in Fairbanks, Alaska rebuild my 89 22RE. Wished I would've taken a lot more pics of it when I was pulling pieces and finally the engine. Thanks a ton for being so diligent and taking the pics that will help so many as well as myself!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Last_Frontier
You really are a life saver! I'm in the final stages of trying to put all the external parts back on after having a local shop up here in Fairbanks, Alaska rebuild my 89 22RE. Wished I would've taken a lot more pics of it when I was pulling pieces and finally the engine. Thanks a ton for being so diligent and taking the pics that will help so many as well as myself!
hey. glad I could help.

so many people helped me along the way, just paying it forward.

good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 PM

Wow, i just read this....all of it...1-9 lets just say i'm a noob too and learned a few(cough cough)MANY things, and names.

Thinking a head gasket is gonna be soon on one of my trucks, thanks for the many reference pics and info. Mine would be 22r but still, great job!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by dakotawho
Wow, i just read this....all of it...1-9 lets just say i'm a noob too and learned a few(cough cough)MANY things, and names.

Thinking a head gasket is gonna be soon on one of my trucks, thanks for the many reference pics and info. Mine would be 22r but still, great job!
thanks!!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 PM

Thank you so much for back tracking your other thread and taking time to go step by step on this with no chat! Doing mine soon... this thread has giving me 22re confidence!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by mikesta
Thank you so much for back tracking your other thread and taking time to go step by step on this with no chat! Doing mine soon... this thread has giving me 22re confidence!

very welcome and good luck!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 PM

Allow me to join the ranks of those thanking you for this excellent pictorial. Its been an invaluable reference while I'm in the middle of my own timing chain project. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by rustyangel
Allow me to join the ranks of those thanking you for this excellent pictorial. Its been an invaluable reference while I'm in the middle of my own timing chain project. Thanks!
YOU are welcome!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:11 AM

Smile

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Long story short, I replaced the head on my '93 4x4 using your post and a service manual. I bought her new in '93 and my local shop quoted me $2300 for the fix. Your post gave me the confidence to tackle this project. Total cost was around $400

She's running like new again!

Quick Reply: BEGINNER'S 22re Timing Chain Failure / replacement / head gasket replacement