Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

been thinkin of a better cold air intake setup...

Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
been thinkin of a better cold air intake setup...

anyone ever tried this http://www.sbfilters.com/toyota-3-0L...ke-kit-75-9006

Im really interested in it amd think it may be better to do then the k&n setup.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:23 AM

Hello Scruss...
I'd also like to see more information on this airbox. I've got a K&N filter inside my OEM airbox for now. I visited the manufacturer's web site, but it didn't have any test/comparison information or reports. Guess we'll have to wait until someone reports on it or try one out.

A couple questions I have on the item:
  • Is it more or less restrictive for air flow than the OEM box?
  • How good is it at keeping water/spray out?

I would like to see some definitive test data, but that's probably not going to happen.

[Edit] I've requested test/performance report information from the company. We'll see how they respond.

Last edited by skipper0802; 08-15-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added note about requesting performance data for the airbox from S&B Fillters
Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this post: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...or-mod-272014/

Search is your friend.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Question

Hey Game...
Read through your reference...got me thinking about angling the intake boot/VAFM toward the filter located above and outside the hood (see pic). Additionally, I'd want to measure the volume of airflow difference (if any) and the temperature difference at the same time. In other words, I'd want these two metrics to be collected in the same time frame. Would there be any worthwhile improvement? Dunno, that's why I want to collect the data. Or, put the truck on a dyno after the upgrade and measure any horsepower change...'cept I don't have access to a dyno.

I'd have to source a test hood that I could chop/cut up while being able to put my old one back if the test flops.

Well, makes for interesting thinking anyway.
Attached Thumbnails been thinkin of a better cold air intake setup...-scoop.jpg  
Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The best cold air intake is the one Toyota put on at the factory.

Sorry to burst your bubbles...
Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
The best cold air intake is the one Toyota put on at the factory.

Sorry to burst your bubbles...
Does your statement infer that further designs would be fruitless? I think the OEM box was designed considering then current tradeoffs between feature scope, time-to-market, and product design budget. Certainly the Toyota engineers know what they're doing in that regard. According to Gamefreak, he sees an improvement in his rig (albeit a system of changes with a synergistic effect.) Does this mean that his upgrades don't have merit?

I don't mean to be antagonistic in the slightest, but I would like to see quantitative data with the resultant finding(s) instead of qualitative terms. We make changes with the expectation of particular results, however, without measuring those results, we really don't know the efficacy of the change. In other words, "We won't know if we don't measure." A proper investigation can yield valuable facts, and that's what has aroused my curiosity on the intake issue.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:35 PM

snobdds that may be your opinion on the stock air intake, unfortunately I have to disagree with the gains I've gotten regardless just from eliminating all the unneccessary turns in stock air box... I've already got the S&B on its way as its gonna be getting more cold air then the k&n would hands down... I had an s&b on my diesel ford and loved it... was sad they never had a enclosed filter for my 89 toyo till I saw it last night... Once installed I'll do my usual routine and see if I notice any change in power, accel etc... and yes because it is inside a box its chances of getting wet are decreased a good bit (in my opinion). Also I saw that post of the guys homemade holes and stuff.. I want something more cleaner, something that looks like it belongs... I'll be the one to do a writeup on these when going from the K&N I have now to the S&B with enclosed air box
Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Pay special attention to Texas Ace's comments.

The search took me all of 2 minutes...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...te-mod-270487/
Old 08-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Oh, how is air being pulled from a hot engine bay considered a cold air intake? At least factory get's the air from behind the fender.

This topic has been beat to death. Search is your friend here...
Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM

And...the K&N filters are horrible for anything but a mall cruiser. If the truck sees any dirt...OEM paper filters are the way to go.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM

snop that may be your opinion on the stock air intake, unfortunately I have to disagree with the gains I've gotten regardless just from eliminating all the unneccessary turns in stock air box... I've already got the S&B on its way as its gonna be getting more cold air then the k&n would hands down... I had an s&b on my diesel ford and loved it... was sad they never had a enclosed filter for my 89 toyo till I saw it last night... Once installed I'll do my usual routine and see if I notice any change in power, accel etc... and yes because it is inside a box its chances of getting wet are decreased a good bit (in my opinion). Also I saw that post of the guys homemade holes and stuff.. I want something more cleaner, something that looks like it belongs... I'll be the one to do a writeup on these when going from the K&N I have now to the S&B with enclosed air box
Old 08-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Scrussanation
snobdds that may be your opinion on the stock air intake, unfortunately I have to disagree with the gains I've gotten regardless just from eliminating all the unneccessary turns in stock air box... I've already got the S&B on its way as its gonna be getting more cold air then the k&n would hands down... I had an s&b on my diesel ford and loved it... was sad they never had a enclosed filter for my 89 toyo till I saw it last night... Once installed I'll do my usual routine and see if I notice any change in power, accel etc... and yes because it is inside a box its chances of getting wet are decreased a good bit (in my opinion). Also I saw that post of the guys homemade holes and stuff.. I want something more cleaner, something that looks like it belongs... I'll be the one to do a writeup on these when going from the K&N I have now to the S&B with enclosed air box
Originally Posted by Scrussanation
snop that may be your opinion on the stock air intake, unfortunately I have to disagree with the gains I've gotten regardless just from eliminating all the unneccessary turns in stock air box... I've already got the S&B on its way as its gonna be getting more cold air then the k&n would hands down... I had an s&b on my diesel ford and loved it... was sad they never had a enclosed filter for my 89 toyo till I saw it last night... Once installed I'll do my usual routine and see if I notice any change in power, accel etc... and yes because it is inside a box its chances of getting wet are decreased a good bit (in my opinion). Also I saw that post of the guys homemade holes and stuff.. I want something more cleaner, something that looks like it belongs... I'll be the one to do a writeup on these when going from the K&N I have now to the S&B with enclosed air box
So deep...twice.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:44 PM

lol ooops stupid pc and internet cutting out half the time i swear they should blow the www up lol
Old 08-15-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
why not just get a snorkel? it's pretty much the ultimate cold air delivery system for a NA engine - pulls from outside engine bay, is high up enough to avoid water and more importantly road dust/debris to keep filter cleaner, has mild ram-air effect when faced forward, looks cool. if you had a snorkel and installed a box like you linked to, or straightened out the choke points in the intake, i'm sure you'd have a much better performer than any other setup. only negatives i see regarding snorkel is price, have to cut fender, increased blind spot and potentially unwanted attention from rubberneckers.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:06 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Isr mod to clean up the path to the motor. I run AFE dry element filters. DO NOT just shove a cone/POD filter on it and think its better since you can hear it.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing the spoiler way back when worked well for me since I don't drive the truck very long, my commute is 10 min. Doesn't allow it to get too hot, so I had great results. I agree though, once your engine bay gets hot, the spoiler would be better.

Now that I've got a 7MGE air box in there, I'm forced to suck hot air. I've been thinking of making my own hole somewhere and creating a shield to draw cold air from outside the engine bay. I've got the room to do it, just need a big enough hole...
Old 08-15-2013, 10:13 PM

The stock 3.0 airbox flows better then the AFM itself, Putting a cone filter on it only improves the intake of hot air from the engine compartment.

BTW, The OP is showing a airbox that might fit the 3.4.

SNOBDDS, Your link to the snorkel thread is for the 95.5 and newer toys that do not have a the 3.0.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
Removing the spoiler way back when worked well for me since I don't drive the truck very long, my commute is 10 min. Doesn't allow it to get too hot, so I had great results. I agree though, once your engine bay gets hot, the spoiler would be better.

Now that I've got a 7MGE air box in there, I'm forced to suck hot air. I've been thinking of making my own hole somewhere and creating a shield to draw cold air from outside the engine bay. I've got the room to do it, just need a big enough hole...
Game...I take it that you modified the 7MGE's electronics? How that go for you in terms of difficulty? I'm pretty good with breadboard circuitry, but don't want to get too intricate with the micro-stuff.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:06 PM

yay my S&B kit has shipped... so excited hehe
Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 PM

I feel the stock air box on Toyota atleast like trucks and runners are the best and the only thing that could be improved is the tube from the air box to the throttle body. that being said I have a open air filter on my celica but that's because the factory airbox sucked on my car and I have a different air flow meter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: been thinkin of a better cold air intake setup...