86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ball Joint spacers safe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball Joint spacers safe?

When I first started looking into BJ spacers, I was kinda sceptical. The idea of puting space between the ball joint and the control arm sounds like it would put alot of strain on the ball joint, increasing the chance of a broken ball joint. After looking into then, most people seem to like 'em. I was getting ready to buy some, and a friend of mine was completely against it and said it was a bad idea. He doesn't know much about toyota's, but it deffinately makes sence. My plane was to run BJ Spacers and shackles, but not if its going to put me in danger. A broken ball joint is the last thing you want going down the freeway. Truck is a daily driver/ weekend worrier and i'm not to hard on it either. So yea or nea.

Last edited by BS Industries; 07-26-2006 at 07:11 PM. Reason: "I'm too hard on it either"
Old 07-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/ball-joint-spacer-experiences-90269/

I wanted to see what people that had them said, there's some good info on there. I decided against them.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:52 AM

A lot of us have 'em. I don't think anyone would dispute that it increases the wear on the ball joints and you will have to replace them sooner than normal maintenance, but no one is going through these things like lolipops. I've had mine on for over a year with no complaints. Ball joints aren't just going to go bad on the highway and leave you stranded unless you're not paying attention. Keep an eye out for symptoms of wear and inspect them more often than normal and you'll be fine.

Ed

Last edited by Epic Ed; 07-25-2006 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
YotaSyclone (11-24-2020)
Old 07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

I used and abused them for 2 years. never had a problem. I was one of the first to purchase them from the YT group buy.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only direct ramification of having ball joint spacers is the increased ball joint stress (and therefore wear). I have had the BJ spacers for over a year now with no "explosive ball joint failures." In fact, ball joint "failures" are usually just too much play and preventing an alignment. The thing is not going to shear in half going down the highway, unless you were wheeling the crud out of your rig and damaged the ball joint (and my guess is you would KNOW if you broke the ball joint long before you got on the road).

You would probably want manual hubs to help prevent excessive wear on your CV boots, but this is the same with any lift, not just BJ spacers. I have not had ANY CV problems with manual hubs and the BJ spacers.

As for the steering problems, control arm bushing problems, and other assorted damage cited in the above link, that all would have happened with or without the BJ spacers. The idler arm is obviously a weak link, as are the end links. Really hard core rock crawling with large toe-in forces is usually when these failures occur, and they have nothing to do with the fact that the upper control arm has been moved a little bit higher.

Just keep your ball joints greased, and keep an eye out for play in your front end, you'll be fine. By the way, you should do these things without BJ spacers too.

Last edited by mastacox; 07-25-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

I had more problems with the idler arm than anything else on the front of the rig. ( and I was locked with a 4" lift)

here is the original thread for the group buy, there is a lot of good information in there from Frank (elripster) who makes them.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/86-95-ifs-balljoint-spacer-group-buy-31158/
Old 07-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

I put BJ spacers on my rig at 90k miles, i now have 125k in 2 years. My truck is a daily driver/wheeler and I am comfortable enough to put my family (3 year old 15 month old, wife and dog) and cruise on down the road. My ball joints are still stock and going strong. The only way these would fail is a lack of maintanence or awareness on the owners behalf. Or if you did not install them correctly or recheck them for torque (as you should after any installed part) As well you should learn to drive with finesse. If you try to break your rig, you will succeed. These are no more dangerous than any traditional lift kit on the market. ANY time you modify your rig it is only as good as the installer. my truck aligns fine, drives straight and true and clears my 33x12.5x15's with minor fender trimming. This topic has been beaten to death before. The initial idea of the spacer was to increase travel not provide lift. Although I do use mine for a small amount of lift. PLease feel free to ask me about installing these or use the search function. If there was any liability in this product this Yotatech.com would have bashed it to no end. just search for nitrous express for examples.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like mine, no problems after few years of use.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM

Sdori´s Frank (the manufacturer) told me when I was buying them:

The design is very low risk. Basically it's a block of metal with Class 12.9 capsrews replacing the mid grade OEM hardware. From my stress analysis there is simply no way to crush the spacer as the rest of the front end, frame, body mounts.. pretty much everything else will fail first.

I´ve liked them a lot. No problems at all, just good things to tell.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Epic Ed
but no one is going through these things like lolipops.
You may not go through ball joints, but if you wheel big rocks, you may go through idlers like lollipops
Old 07-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 86Original
You may not go through ball joints, but if you wheel big rocks, you may go through idlers like lollipops
that will happen with or without BJ spacers.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:24 AM

Read the installation, and it requires trimming the upper arms. So I'm guessing this isn't reversible without replacing control arms? (sorry if this has already been talked about) Is it alright to remove the spacers and go back to stock even with trimmed arms?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by all_terrain17
Read the installation, and it requires trimming the upper arms. So I'm guessing this isn't reversible without replacing control arms? (sorry if this has already been talked about) Is it alright to remove the spacers and go back to stock even with trimmed arms?
yes it is reversable, but you would need to buy new ball joints as you knock the studs out of the old ones and use longer/stronger bolts from sdori. you are merely trimming a small piece of metal that prohibits the spacer from sitting flat (touches the side of the spacer).
Old 07-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

You may be able to trim the bj spacers instead of the UCA (if that worries you)

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-26-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
You may be able to trim the bj spacers unstead of the UCA (if that worries you)
Good call...

I'm not really sure why SDORI doesn't do this, one less machining process? You might have to trim INTO one of the holes for the bolts. I'm not sure this would work.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:41 AM

Thanks, that's good to hear.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by all_terrain17
Thanks, that's good to hear.
I would inspect before you decide to trim the spacer, I think the outside bolts actually go through an area that would prevent them from working without trimming the control arm, the head or the body of the bolt will get in the way (the "heads" on the OE studs are very flat, to fit in there).
Old 07-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

It worked for me, but I have Superlift UCAs.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
It worked for me, but I have Superlift UCAs.
Like I said, it might work but inspect first... pay close attention to exactly how far into the BJ spacer you would have to grind, and make sure it won't intefere with any of the bolts going through it. If not, GTG.

EDIT: I'll take a look at mine tonight and see what it looks like. Got a picture of a Superlift UCA?

Last edited by mastacox; 07-26-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
Got a picture of a Superlift UCA?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...42310107UOQIhX

Quick Reply: Ball Joint spacers safe?