Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ball Joint lift problem

Old 02-03-2013, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball Joint lift problem

So yesterday I finally found the time to start putting on my BJ lift on my 87 4runner. I started on the front thinking it would be easier and it wasn't too bad. However, when i was trying to get the front end put back together, the lower control arm refused to meet back up properly with the upper. My suspicion is that I accidentally popped out the drive shaft from the diff. My question is could this actually happen when dropping the lower control arm? if not, any other ideas why i cant get the ball joint to mate back up with the upper?

P.S. I don't have the spacer in seeing as I don't have the proper tools to trim the upper control arm. I am just trying to get it back to stock.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U poped your front cv. Just wiggle it around a bit as your lifting up on lower control arm an it should pop back in. May have to spin it
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
U poped your front cv. Just wiggle it around a bit as your lifting up on lower control arm an it should pop back in. May have to spin it
Thankyou my good man. I will report back if this doesnt work.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 PM

Don't over trim the metal on the control arms. Bad things can happen as illustrated on my thread here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ension-264479/
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM

Well I got the cv axle popped back in and the front end back together. I've decided after more research that i don't think the ball joint lift is for me. So if anyone needs a complete BJ lift for a first gen 4runner or pickup lemme know.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 PM

Just curious, why are you deciding against it?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yamiryder
Just curious, why are you deciding against it?
Well when I bought it I sort of got the BJ lift without doing as much research as I should have. After spending more time reading I have learned more about how adding the BJ spacers changes the overall geometry of the front end and would cause components to wear out at a much faster rate. On top of that, their are a lot of other odds and ends you need for the lift to make it work properly such as a diff. drop, sway bar drop, reinforced cv joints, reinforced idler arm, etc.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by balognapony420
Well when I bought it I sort of got the BJ lift without doing as much research as I should have. After spending more time reading I have learned more about how adding the BJ spacers changes the overall geometry of the front end and would cause components to wear out at a much faster rate. On top of that, their are a lot of other odds and ends you need for the lift to make it work properly such as a diff. drop, sway bar drop, reinforced cv joints, reinforced idler arm, etc.

Hope that answers your question.
I kinda figured those are the things you meant....I personally have BJ spacers on the front, and that's it. they haven't been on very long, so i'll see how much faster stuff wears out. I'd like to get a diff drop, but money is always lacking. I'm hoping running with the hubs unlocked as much as possible will help my cv's
Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 PM

I have had BJ spacers for over a year now. I installed 2" blocks in the rear and the spacers in the front. I DID NOT INSTALL A DIFF DROP. I do some serious offroading and I've never had a single problem. I'm not gonna tell ya to install them or anything but I really enjoy mine and the convenience of running larger tires.

As far as extra stuff goes here is a list of everything I did.

BJ spacers kit-included all hardware, blocks, ubolts, ext
New shocks - front 95 ford bronco - rear 87 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
Used angle grinder to cut upper a-arms.
Replaced generic BJ spacer bolts with 5/16 grade 8 bolts

I had about $200.00 total in everything including shocks and BJ spacer kit.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
I have had BJ spacers for over a year now. I installed 2" blocks in the rear and the spacers in the front. I DID NOT INSTALL A DIFF DROP. I do some serious offroading and I've never had a single problem. I'm not gonna tell ya to install them or anything but I really enjoy mine and the convenience of running larger tires.

As far as extra stuff goes here is a list of everything I did.

BJ spacers kit-included all hardware, blocks, ubolts, ext
New shocks - front 95 ford bronco - rear 87 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
Used angle grinder to cut upper a-arms.
Replaced generic BJ spacer bolts with 5/16 grade 8 bolts

I had about $200.00 total in everything including shocks and BJ spacer kit.
Do you remember what size BJ spacers you used? The ones i have are 1 1/2 inch spacers i believe.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:57 PM

If I am correct most of the aluminum spacers out there are 1 1/2 I no mine is. Some places say there like 3" spacers but there really not there only 1 1/2 to achieve 3" you must crank torsion bars.

I do no for a fact that mine are 1 1/2 spacers that I bought off eBay for around 100.00 shipped. As I stated below tho mine came with the rear lift as well
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM

interesting. You said have it installed for over a year and no problems? What makes me uneasy about this style of lift is I seem to read so many conflicting arguments for and against BJ spacers.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Toyota boy ... How do you like the shock set up you have?? stiff?? soft?? Enough travel?? Balogna pony pm me if your serious about selling the spacers.... and Im curious where did you get your name?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
lots and lots of people run spacer lifts. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Depends on what you want to do with it. Diff drops never hurt and really aren't that expensive (at least for a 3rd gen and I would assume 1st gens aren't much more). 30 bucks ish. Just look around. But manual hubs eliminate all wear on your cv's unless you're in 4wd.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM

My vote is to stick with it. I have been running 1.5" BJ spacers for 3+ years now with 33's and have never had any issues at all. I wouldn't be worried if I was you.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
About as easy as it gets to do BJ spacers and a aal or coils.

A die grinder works best for trimming the front.

I got some pics on my 95 4Runner 3.4 swap thread.

:wabbit2:
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by bone collector
Toyota boy ... How do you like the shock set up you have?? stiff?? soft?? Enough travel?? Balogna pony pm me if your serious about selling the spacers.... and Im curious where did you get your name?
I really enjoy my shock setup. Not only can I go to local auto parts and get them but they seem to be perfect. Truck rides better than factory IMO. As far as travel they seem to be great. I can flex the rear till I'm riding on bump stop. As far as front, well it's ifs so flex is well you no. Oh I haul water as well. I can put 300 gallon in my bed I'm yet to ride on bump stops. I'm running factory springs as well.
300*8= 2400 pound
Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks for the reply... Im in the hunt for some new shocks and I will probably look into this combo
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 AM

I have the same setup as Toyota Boy. Ebay BJ spacers and rear blocks. I've only been running them for about a month, but seems like i have no problems. I'm running the cheap hardware though still....probably should at least get new BJ bolts....
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM

I just put a BJ spacer lift on my '89 runner with the zuk mod in the rear along with Old Man Emu shocks (they're awesome - went with N98's for the front and N94's for the rear). Parts will wear out, but there are ways to fix those - if you just did the BJ lift and nothing else, problems will probably arise, and increase the risk of CV axle problems. however, a lot of BJ spacer lifts have options to add a sway bar drop kit (drop the sway bar an inch) as well as the differential drop kit (drops that 1 inch). this brings the ride back down REAL close to stock....considering the BJ spacers were 1.5 inches, I nearly made up for all of that. Spend the money on good shocks, I'd go no other brand than OME

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ball Joint lift problem