Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad transmission: Best options for replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad transmission: Best options for replacing?

Hi all,

Starting a new thread about this, since the old one had a lot of confusing and just wrong information in it. (My fault.)

I have a '87 4Runner, VIN is :JT4RN62D4H0173396, engine is a 22RE, transmission (according to Allied Transmission) is a W56. I was stopped at a stop sign, when I started up I found that I was getting no power at all the the wheels.

Long story short, we pretty much narrowed it down to the transmission, so I pulled that myself and took it to Allied Transmission, and asked them to see what they could figure out. Allied pulled it apart and said it was definitely the problem. Their recommendation for repairs was: "replace output shaft, counter shaft (cluster gear), bearings, and the sleeve between the transmission output shaft and transfer case input shaft". They didn't fully price out all the parts, but gave me an estimate of between $1250 and $1500. I decided I really couldn't afford that, and wasn't sure if repairing the current transmission made the most sense anyway, so I paid them $150 for the diagnostic work, and took the transmission back (in many pieces...)

So my question is, what to do now? I'm thinking that buying the parts and trying to repair it myself probably isn't the best option. I could try it, but I expect it's beyond my level of ability. So I could bring it back and have the repairs done, or I could try to find a used one somewhere, or I could buy a rebuilt one...

I found a place called Marlin Crawler (www.marlincrawler.com) that looks like they'll sell me a rebuilt one for $1050. But I would also have to pay $70 to have it shipped to me, and another $70 to ship my old "core" back to them... Plus they want a $250 "core charge" until I send them the old transmission, but they say they'll look the old transmission over and only credit me for the parts that are good... So worse case (I think) I'd be paying something like $1440.00 (assuming they credited me nothing at all for my old transmission). But at least I'd have a fully rebuilt (rather than just repaired) transmission... But another thing, their site says to allow 9 weeks for them to build the transmission. I'd really like to have my truck back together sooner than that.

So... I could use advice on whether to go with getting it repaired, buying used, or buying rebuilt. Or finally giving up on the old truck, and looking for something new. (Keeping in mind that money is a *big* factor for me here.) And whichever option, any advice on where to go? Also, could use help on making absolutely sure that I'm identifying the transmission type correctly...

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Be nice to know where you live.

I bought a used one a few years back for $150.00 at lasted a few years till I had a bearing kit put in.

Have you thought of a parts vehicle with a good transmission ??

Then this one could be the parts vehicle and buy another in working condition.

Then the real question is just how much is in the budget ??
Old 11-21-2016, 06:10 AM

Thanks, wyoming9. I live in San Jose, California.

Parts vehicle isn't a bad idea, but there are a couple of down sides for me on that. One is I really don't have any place to store it. And another is that I'd need to pull the transmission from it (assuming I didn't turn my current one into the parts vehicle), and since I don't have a lot of time/tools/help, it'd be nice to avoid that extra step.

As far as budget, hard to say exactly. I'm tempted to go as high as $1500 if I had to, but I'd really be hurting at that point, and friends and family are telling me it's probably a bad idea to dump that much into such an old truck. I'd like to get away with a lot less, if there's a way. $150 for a used transmission certainly sounds like a good option. Where/how did you get it? And did it come with any sort of warranty?
Old 11-21-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Consider Craigslist. I just found two W56's in the Sacramento area; a rebuilt (w/warranty) for $850 and a used one for $400.

I have no idea if either is any good, of if they are the ones you want, etc. And even though I drive a 23-yr old truck, your friends and family do bring up a good point about throwing a grand at a 30-yr old truck.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I bought it off a member on here about a hour away .

If I recall I got him out of bed

The reason I asked I would give you one if you were close.

Every time someone busts me about my old Toyota`s I look at them and say " you might be right lets go to the stripper bar and spend a $1000.00 on Lap dances "
Old 11-21-2016, 03:12 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
without knowing the condition of the truck, it's impossible to give any advice on the best course of action.

we could speculate that since you are in san jose, it'll be relatively rust-free, so if you want to keep it, it might be worth throwing some money at.

i would look on craigslist for used trannys, maybe pirate4x4 and the marlincrawler forum as well.

norcal is basically the epicenter of the country for these trucks.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had local "expert rebuilds"... if I had known then, what I know now - I would have gone Marlin (this is circa 1996? - just about the time the first Icelandic "doubler" case made with a Advanced Adapter mod part were coming to the fore)

I've also put "junkyard" trannys in - and have gotten another 100K on them.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Id go junkyard replacement, or better yer a brand new one from toyota.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:38 AM

Thanks everybody, much appreciated!

At this point I’m leaning pretty heavily towards getting a rebuilt one from Proline Transmission and Automotive, up in Rancho Cordova, for $850. Planning to call them Monday and set it up. I talked to Jake there on the phone on Wednesday, he was very helpful, and it seems like a good deal:
  • $850 + sales tax (promises no “hidden charges”)
  • Warranty (can’t find the details right now, think it’s 18 mos, unlimited miles…)
  • Requires a core exchange but he said they would take mine despite it having several problems, and being in pieces.
  • Will work with me to make sure I’m getting the right transmission. (I’m supposed to text him some pictures.)
  • Should be able to have it ready in about 2 business days (as opposed to 9 weeks with Marlin Crawler).
  • Will ship by courier for $75, courier will pick up my core and bring it back to Proline for an additional $25.
This is from the post on Craigslist that scope103 mentioned (so thank you scope103 for that!) If anybody thinks this is a terrible deal/option, obviously I’d appreciate hearing about that… Or if there are any other questions it would make sense to ask.

wyoming9: “The reason I asked I would give you one if you were close.”
- Thanks for the thought! And yeah, I feel the same way you do about older cars, it usually seems to me the it beats the heck out of making payments on something new/newer. ‘Course there are those times when it doesn’t… But still.

OSV: “without knowing the condition of the truck, it's impossible to give any advice on the best course of action.”
- My truck is pretty much rust-free, yeah. But it has a fairly cheap rebuild in it, with already a lot of miles on that. (Not sure how many.) So there’s that. Otherwise generally beat up and faded a bit inside and out, but solid.

the171: “Id go junkyard replacement, or better yet a brand new one from toyota.”
- That kinda covers each end of the spectrum… Pretty sure I can’t afford a new one from Toyota. Do you have something against the rebuilt option?