Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bad engine mounts?

Old 11-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad engine mounts?

So after recently replacing my transmission mount my truck developed a shake, a very violent shake, has nothing to do with drivetrain everything with engine as this does this in park idling, it gets worse with higher revs and the entire truck shakes like hell. I was wondering if replacing a trans mount could amplify a bad engine mounts effect? the engine runs fine, pretty choppy on first startup but that because my afm is toast. I've put the truck in gear and had someone rev it up while i watched the engine and it moved a little bit but it didn't look irregular to me, unless it is not supposed to move a beaver hair I'm not too sure. could anybody tell me?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2013, 04:31 PM

Its possible...I could realistically see it amplifying it per say. Check over the Trans mount install make sure nothing is loose too. One loose bolt can cause all kinds of hell raising lol. If everything is tight I'd.vote on motor mounts.
Did you install a solid mount or a oe style?
Old 11-12-2013, 04:49 PM

I've checked everything and its tight, I'm not sure what the difference is, if OE has rubber then yes that's what I got, would solid mounts have no rubber at all?
Old 11-12-2013, 04:58 PM

Yeah solids have practically no rubber. More than likely your motor mounts then.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:22 PM

are you sure its not the new mount amplifying a problem with the motor now that the motor is securely mounted to the frame with a nice new trans mount? new mounts transmit more movement to the frame and make things more noticable. just a thought.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:51 PM

What do you think could've made an engine problem worse by doing that? Like I said the engine seems to run fine and it shifts into all gears 4hi and 4lo aswell. I'm not sure how squishy the rubber engine mounts are supposed to be but i am able to easily push them with my finger is that bad?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM

wouldnt make an engine problem worse, just make it more noticeable. i usually dont replace a mount unless its starting to separate.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 PM

I've been searching for awhile now and i cant find any diy's on an engine mount replacment for these trucks on any form or website, can anybody lead me in the right direction?
Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is always the simple things that I need help with.

Pretty basic unbolt

jack up the engine being careful not to go to high and crush things against the firewall

replace one side at a time yes it can be a royal pain .

I would get under with a pry bar and see just how much they move.

What happens if you put your old mount back in ??

I new mount could amplify a shake but I can`t see it being as bad as you say at idle

With the truck running can you not locate just what is moving from underneath if a mount is bad should be pretty easy to see.

Perhaps something else got bent or misaligned when changing your mount.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 AM

I was thinking about that too but i cant think of anything that would get bent or mis aligned when all i did was barely lift transmission to get the old mount out?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
I also think that a new/stiffer tranny mount wouldn't translate into such a drastic engine shake issue... It IS possible, if the engine mount rubbers are hitting the natural frequency close enough, so I wouldn't say it's out of the question. It's cheap, so I would go ahead and replace them if it's been more than 75k miles anyway. Or, you can put the old tranny mount and see what happens. It's probably your best bet, if the problem persists you'll know it's not necessarily your engine mounts. From my experience on changing the motor mounts and the whole engine removal/install process, I found the tranny mount/connection to support to be very forgiving, so I don't think it would be a misalignment issue... however it is possible.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 AM

If every trans mount bolt went back on ok then could there still be an alignment issue? Because everything went back in smoothly,
Old 11-13-2013, 11:42 AM

Red face

Pretty hard call to make without being up close and in person

It pretty much comes down to either the wrong mount manufacturing defect or something you did while you installed the mount.

All of us have screwed up something my mistakes alone would take hours to list .

i think the best one was i was around 17 young and clueless to the ways of the world .

Hit a deer bent the bumper thought to try and straighten with a 10 pound sledge hammer .

Lined up to take a good hit . I hit the headlight dead center!!

Last edited by wyoming9; 11-13-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Spilled Coffee on the key board and had to install a new one!!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM

My engine mounts as far as i know have NEVER been done, the mounts are very soft. The only thing that makes me say it wouldnt be the engine mounts is that the truck NEVER shaked at all at idle before the trans mount was replaced but since then has a violent vibration that makes me not want to drive te truc at all
Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM

Red face

i ran a 7MGTE with solid steel mounts nary a vibration.

Were you in the engine bay at all that day perhaps knocked off a plug wire or vacuum hose is anything like that possible.

if your engine mounts were that weak the torque would have broke the left one and the engine would move when you goosed the throttle.

Things like this is where if it is not broke don`t mess with it. Comes from.

Have any friends close by??

It could be something so simple.

On the new mount your not having any metal to metal contact between the case and crossmember ??

In theory the rubber in the mounts should absorb most of the vibration in your case it is not.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:06 PM

any chance you might of disconnected a wire or vac line by accident when you were working on it?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM

I spent time under the hood that day yes, on the passenger side I had to replace the fuel lines from the engine bay to the pump, could it have something to do with incorrect fuel pressure? I'm not sure what normal pressure is nor do I have a tool to check it. I don't recall feeling anything or seeing anything come off or loose while I had my hands in that area, but I guess that's part of the in not knowing lol
Old 11-16-2013, 12:53 AM

Red face

have you found anything???

I lean more towards a engine problem then anything related to changing the trans mount.

Just what did you replace your fuel lines with??

Is it possible you might have gotten some dirt in the line past the fuel filter that is now clogging one or more of the injectors ??

** Now that would cause the earth shattering shaking you are describing getting worse as the rpm increases ***

Just pure chance you changed your trans mount at the same time.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had a shake at idle then get worse when I drove it on a chevy. I found one of the weights had come off the flex plate. Take the inspection plate off and check, both the torque converter and flex plate have weights on them.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:53 AM

OK so I did some more inspecting while its running, to find out that the drivers side of the trans that bolts to the back of the engine is completely fcked. I saw there is a hole in the drivers side of my trans and it looks like the mounting points are completly broken off (this most definitly happened when my driveshaft came off at 140km/h... so basically the trck needs a new transmission, even tho it shifts fine, the bad vibration is from the shake of my transmission, new mount did nothing to fix it as the transmission hosing itself is completly toast, Ill get a video of it a little later this afternoon but i would have to say the trck is for sale now lol and is basically only good for parts now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad engine mounts?