Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bad diff from Marlin?

Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad diff from Marlin?

Hey guys, just installed my new diff that I got from Marlin. Its an 8" diff with 5.29's and a Grizzly locker that I'm running in the back of my 4runner. It seems to me like there is way too much play in the diff, about 1/4 turn of the pinion back and forth without turning the ring gear. Took it on the road and when I let off the gas it howls. I'm pretty disappointed because its a brand new differential and Marlin has such a good reputation.

Would this be caused by a bad gear pattern? Backlash? I know enough to make good conversation but I'm no expert at setting up a diff.

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do about this yet... but I'm sure I will be calling Marlin next week. Just thought I'd fill you guys in on my experience. I'm still very confident that Marlin has good stuff, I've purchased another diff from them before and I'm very happy with it, just a little bummed about the situation especially since I'm trying to get my 4runner back on the road in a hurry.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
call marlin...they'll straighten in out.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
First step should have been to contact Marlin customer service they are open mon-thur
they do have a customer service forum:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=63.0
Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 PM

my trailgear 3rd has always done this, ive never had a problem with it except for the howling.....
Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought two third members for my 86 4Runner a about 4 yrs ago from Marlin Crawler, one was for the rear with a detriot locker and the front has an ARB. Neither one makes any noise at all, and neither one had any play in it when I got them. Call Marlin Crawler and explain the problem and they will make it right.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 AM

i ll scond that Marlin will make it right, top notch customer service...
Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 PM

I don't doubt they'll help me out, I've heard nothing but good things about them. Just a little disappointed... I don't want to have to send it back and wait for another one, I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and find a way to get around haha. I'll be calling them first thing Monday.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:41 PM

I was just getting ready to order a complete diff from Marlin...Let me know how things work out..as i said before Marlin has great customer service so i dont have any doubt they will take care of the problem but im not to sure about the Yukon differential..i ll wait and see....
Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
How long has it been since you serviced or replaced your u-joints?

:wabbit2:
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 AM

U joints are new, its not the U joints, there is way too much play in the diff itself.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Regarding the howl on de-accel....a lot of times that's a loose pinion. Any oil leaking out the pinion seal yet? Also, new gears need a reasonable break in period. If the gears are allowed to overheat too much then the pinion sees the worst of the damage. Chipping the teeth on the pinion and the teeth on all 40 ring gear teeth are still good might be a sign of a heat problem.
I see it as best to remove the 3rd and inspect....run a pattern if you have some yellow marking paint. That can tell the whole story.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM

I honestly put the third in the truck and drove less than two miles before parking it, I'm sure it would start leaking if I drove it farther. I knew right away that something wasn't right so I didn't want to drive it at all. I called Marlin yesterday morning and they asked for a video to confirm, so I emailed them a video and I'm still waiting to hear back. It sounded like they are going to fix the problem and pay for shipping of the third both ways. I would rebuild it myself if I had them time but I'm way too busy with work right now and then school starts up again soon.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:57 PM

Just to keep you guys updated, just talked to Marlin again and they said to ship it back and they'll fix it no problem. The two guys that I talked to (Zack and CJ) were both very helpful. I'll try to get pics of the pattern and post them up before I ship it off.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Putt the old diff back in the rear axle, take out the rear driveshaft, put 'er into 4wd and go to town.
I've done this for a day or so while I was having a new driveshaft made up.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 AM

I don't have a front driveshaft yet I'm just running the stock rear third for now.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM

Sorry I couldn't get a picture of the pattern, but i dropped it off for shipping today so hopefully this can get taken care of soon.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Just got off the phone with Zack from Marlin, he said the diff builder tore it down to take a look and said there was nothing wrong with it? Which I really don't understand because when turning the pinion by hand it would go tight-loose-tight-loose, and how it howled so bad on deceleration. They put new bearings in and are sending it back today or tomorrow so it should be up here in a few days. I will be sure to take pictures of the pattern this time and post them up.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
yep.....painted patterns would have told a story
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 PM

From what I understand... howling on deceleration is either from a bad pattern or a bad pinion bearing, or pinion bearing preload since the bearings were brand new. So if Marlin is saying that the pattern and backlash are good, my assumption is that the problem lies with either the pinion bearing (that they just replaced so the problem should be solved when I get it back) or the pinion nut was not tight enough or something along those lines?
Old 09-16-2012, 02:13 PM

I got the diff back Friday morning, putting it in tomorrow. I took some pictures of the pattern and I'll try to post them up right away. It seems like they fixed the problem, it feels a lot better now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad diff from Marlin?