Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bad alternator? Write-up: Fix yours for $3!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad alternator? Write-up: Fix yours for $3!

If your alternator is going bad, 90% of the time it just needs new brushes. Don't trade in your original Toyota alternator for a refurbished one, and don't spend $120! Replacing the brushes yourself is easy as soldering, and costs only $3.

I did this on my truck last month, and finally got around to doing the write-up. You can see it here:

http://www.butchwax.com/2010/07/toyo...-on-the-cheap/

Hope someone benefits from this, and I welcome any suggestions for improvement.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks a lot for posting this! I love cheap fixes that WORK!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by betelnut
If your alternator is going bad, 90% of the time it just needs new brushes. Don't trade in your original Toyota alternator for a refurbished one, and don't spend $120! Replacing the brushes yourself is easy as soldering, and costs only $3.

I did this on my truck last month, and finally got around to doing the write-up. You can see it here:

http://www.butchwax.com/2010/07/toyo...-on-the-cheap/

Hope someone benefits from this, and I welcome any suggestions for improvement.

Here is an easier solution. For roughly $15, you can get the brushes and the holder all together at the dealer, no soldering. All you have to do is unbolt the old brushes and bolt in the new ones and that is it. I too did what you did and bought my brushes at NAPA. I then went to Toyota and they sold me the brush holder with the brushes. No soldering.

James
Old 07-23-2010, 11:17 PM

Guess I am gonna have to try this out, thanks for posting !!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:28 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I might "try" this with my OEM backup alternator, but not too sure it's a problem with the brushes, might be the Voltage Regulator.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I might "try" this with my OEM backup alternator, but not too sure it's a problem with the brushes, might be the Voltage Regulator.
xxxtreme, take it to AutoZone or the equivalent. They can tell you whether the regulator is bad or not.

Originally Posted by JamesD
Here is an easier solution.
JamesD, learn how to solder! Making a good solder joint is a really satisfying feeling.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:53 AM

xxxtreme, take it to AutoZone or the equivalent. They can tell you whether the regulator is bad or not.

JamesD, learn how to solder! Making a good solder joint is a really satisfying feeling.
Been a auto technician for over 15 years. I know how to solder. Why do it the hard way to save a few bucks? Unbolt and bolt back in. No soldering or chance for errors.

James
Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
One of the problems with soldering is that solder never produces a strong mechanical joint by itself. I assume that the Toyota part is crimped together, which should be a longer-lasting repair.

With good technique and a little luck, the soldered joint should last a long time. But for a $12 savings ...?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:50 AM

FYI a new regulator is about $25, so for a few bucks more while you have it out!!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
yeah I got to get that backup of mine fully cleaned and tested. been thinking about doing a gm alt swap with all this mud running I want to do. they are a little more sealed than the yota units.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a toyota tech told me that you can check the diode pack with a volt /ohm meter. unhook all the wires from the alt. set the meter to ohms, place the pos lead on the large batt post on the alt ,neg lead to the housing.then switch the leads and check again. there should be continuity one way but not the other if the pack is good.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 AM

Great thread and great write up. Thanks for taking hte time to share it with us!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Been a auto technician for over 15 years. I know how to solder. Why do it the hard way to save a few bucks? Unbolt and bolt back in. No soldering or chance for errors.
Touche! Still, if you know how to solder (and in my arrogance, I believe I solder better than the average factory worker), there's really no chance for errors, and saving $10 for 5 minutes of work (and in my case not having to drive all the way across town to the stealership) is worth it. And finally, I'm a big DIYer (a DIY-hard?) and I'll always pick the route where I do the work myself if possible. Of course I can understand there's a business case for a professional auto tech to save his time when he can just buy a new part and pass the cost along to the customer. But then, why not just buy a reman unit?

Originally Posted by scope183
One of the problems with soldering is that solder never produces a strong mechanical joint by itself. I assume that the Toyota part is crimped together, which should be a longer-lasting repair.
The original Toyota brush assembly wasn't crimped. As soon as I'd melted the solder, the brush popped out from only the force of the spring. The way it's designed, there should be almost no force on the connection; the brush doesn't move during normal operation, and the wire should be slack. It only has to withstand the force of vibration.

Originally Posted by thinsley
a toyota tech told me that you can check the diode pack with a volt /ohm meter. unhook all the wires from the alt. set the meter to ohms, place the pos lead on the large batt post on the alt ,neg lead to the housing.then switch the leads and check again. there should be continuity one way but not the other if the pack is good.
Hmm, interesting idea. I would've thought that the ohmmeter wouldn't supply enough voltage to overcome twice the 0.7v forward voltage drop of the diodes, but maybe it does (see http://www.autoshop101.com/trainmodu...or/alt126.html). Some meters have a special diode checking mode, maybe that's even better? AutoZone's test machine checks three different things, I wish I remembered what they were. I bet it would be easy to devise equivalent tests. From the diagram in that link, it looks like it would be easy enough to test all those diodes with the regulator out of the alt. At the same time, you could probably check that resistance of the coils is within an acceptable range, and check for shorts between the coils.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:32 PM

Touche! Still, if you know how to solder (and in my arrogance, I believe I solder better than the average factory worker), there's really no chance for errors, and saving $10 for 5 minutes of work (and in my case not having to drive all the way across town to the stealership) is worth it. And finally, I'm a big DIYer (a DIY-hard?) and I'll always pick the route where I do the work myself if possible. Of course I can understand there's a business case for a professional auto tech to save his time when he can just buy a new part and pass the cost along to the customer. But then, why not just buy a reman unit?

The original Toyota brush assembly wasn't crimped. As soon as I'd melted the solder, the brush popped out from only the force of the spring. The way it's designed, there should be almost no force on the connection; the brush doesn't move during normal operation, and the wire should be slack. It only has to withstand the force of vibration.

Hmm, interesting idea. I would've thought that the ohmmeter wouldn't supply enough voltage to overcome twice the 0.7v forward voltage drop of the diodes, but maybe it does (see http://www.autoshop101.com/trainmodu...or/alt126.html). Some meters have a special diode checking mode, maybe that's even better? AutoZone's test machine checks three different things, I wish I remembered what they were. I bet it would be easy to devise equivalent tests. From the diagram in that link, it looks like it would be easy enough to test all those diodes with the regulator out of the alt. At the same time, you could probably check that resistance of the coils is within an acceptable range, and check for shorts between the coils.
Well yeah for you it is worth it but majority of the people on here may not have the skill or tools to do so. Most garages sell a whole unit. Your not going to pay the shop bills by removing $10 part and install a new one.

So how many miles are on your truck?

James
Old 07-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Well yeah for you it is worth it but majority of the people on here may not have the skill or tools to do so.
Well I hope they learn! I love soldering, it's one of life's simple pleasures. Have I mentioned that I love soldering?

Most garages sell a whole unit. Your not going to pay the shop bills by removing $10 part and install a new one.
Agreed, the business case isn't there. I've heard most shops do a 2x mark-up on parts.

So how many miles are on your truck?
Almost 150k. If it turns out that the brushes went because of bad bearings, I don't mind pulling the alt once more.