Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Backup lights aren't working

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup lights aren't working

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the backup light connection is on the transmission? I have an R150F. I've checked the bulbs they're good. I got underneath the truck and saw a plastic connector on the passenger side of the trans about half way up. Was that it? I cleaned the connection but the lights still don't work. I just want to make sure I had the right connection before I start tracking other areas down.

Thanks Fellas.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM

That should be it. Do you have an ohmmeter (multi-meter)? If you do, disconnect the switch, and check the resistance. It should read OFL or open in any gear but reverse, and should read close to 0 when it is in reverse. (0.1 ohms or less is good) If you don't get those results, that should be the problem.

You can also jump the connection while it is disconnected. Use another piece of wire, paper clip, whatever you have on hand. With the key on, the reverse lights should come on when you jump that connection. If they come on when jumped, the rest of the circuit should be fine, go back to the test results above.

The other possibility is that you may have an intermittent problem. I hope not, and that is getting too far ahead, just be forewarned. Let us know what you find with these tests.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The back up lights switch is just a ball at the end of a tube that's been crimped a little to keep the ball in. When you throw it in reverse the or a gear hits it and pushes it in.

I'd remove it and give the action a few pushes and clean it...

If that don't do it... Pull-a-part...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by yayfortrees
That should be it. Do you have an ohmmeter (multi-meter)? If you do, disconnect the switch, and check the resistance. It should read OFL or open in any gear but reverse, and should read close to 0 when it is in reverse. (0.1 ohms or less is good) If you don't get those results, that should be the problem.

You can also jump the connection while it is disconnected. Use another piece of wire, paper clip, whatever you have on hand. With the key on, the reverse lights should come on when you jump that connection. If they come on when jumped, the rest of the circuit should be fine, go back to the test results above.

The other possibility is that you may have an intermittent problem. I hope not, and that is getting too far ahead, just be forewarned. Let us know what you find with these tests.
Thanks for the help, I got the right readings from the multi meter but they're still not working. I guess I'm going to pull the plug off of the trans and clean it. I will update. I appreciate the help!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 PM

I'm sorry to even mention this, as I'm sure you have already checked, but the fuse is good isn't it? (Hate to admit it, but I have overlooked something as simple as a fuse before.)

Looking at my wiring diagram in the manual, you should have a red wire and a red-blue wire going to that switch.

Get your multi-meter, set it to VDC (whatever range 12 VDC fits in, i.e.: 5 - 50 VDC, etc.). With the key on, test from the red wire to ground. You should get 12 volts on it. If not, double check your ground, make sure it's not too corroded to conduct. If you still have no voltage, you know you're not getting voltage to the switch, so you can start focusing on that part of the circuit. Start checking resistance from the switch connection back up to as close to the fuse box as possible. You should have good continuity between those two points.

If you do have 12 volts to the switch, time to check the ground wire coming from the taillights. I think the diagram said that's a white/blue wire. Check the resistance from that wire to ground. You should also have good continuity between these two points.

If the ground is all good, check the continuity of the red/blue wire from the switch connector to the bulb terminal.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks for your help! It was the ground at the rear right in that cluster of License plate illumination and backup light wires.
As soon as you said check your fuse I thought "oh damn" I didn't actually do that I just checked the bulbs. It wasn't the fuse for the backups but I did find that the fuse for my rear defogger had blown, so that was good to check anyway. It's nice having reverse lights now!
This forum is great...really appreciate you guys and your suggestions.

W
Old 03-27-2010, 10:13 AM

I'm glad I could help! I am just trying to pass on the help that I have got from this website. That, and it's kind of fun revisiting my old mechanic days. Not that I wrenched professionally on yotas, it was all motorcycles and ATVs, but I have done all the work on my trucks so far. So it's fun seeing if I still got it and helping others.

Later!