Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Back window will go down but not up

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Just_ Rollin'
OK everyone. It was the console switch. After pricing them on ebay I figured I would tear mine apart and see what was what first since it was going to be replaced anyhow. I noticed one of the contacts was brown....so I hit it with a wire wheel on the dremel and it shined up instantly. Works great now. The rear window is still a bit sluggish but I greased it up with silicone spray and it is a bit quicker. I also put in my old module with the new relays I soldered in and it works so the ebay module can go back, less shipping charges.

Thanks everyone!

Awesome. Same symptoms as mine = same solution. FWIW I bought an '88 brand new and the back window was always kind of slow. I mean slower than a car's power window would be. I never had power windows in a 1st gen though. Maybe cleaning all the contacts will speed things up.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by osv
after that, i replaced all the relay switches, which fixed the rear window switch, but still no console down, and the dp/dt switch still doesn't work, lol
just an update on this...

it turned out that there were also connection problems where the harness plugged into the relay box, at the big connector.

sometimes i could hear the new relays clicking, but it wasn't enough to move the window.

the harness plug end has female connectors, that in my case had lost spring tension, so they apparently weren't conducting enough current to power the rear window.

i couldn't figure out how to remove the wire plug ends from the plastic harness connector box, so i had to run a very small jewelers screwdriver up into the end of each wire, and bend the tabs down, to make better contact.

the fix was immediate, even the console up/down switch started working in both directions... but the dp/dt switch that i wired in was blowing the relay in the fuse box so it's gotta go.

so, be sure and consider that wiring connection, when troubleshooting this.