Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Axle Wrap: Lifted 94 xcab 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle Wrap: Lifted 94 xcab 4x4

Hey All,
I am having some axle wrap trouble on my new acquisition. PO installed 4"(guess) blocks in the rear and now the springs sit pretty close to flat and there are no coils or shocks on the back, just stock 3 pack of leaves. This is causing problems with an empty truck and i am scared to load it up or haul a trailer for fear or breaking something. Besides it rides horribly.
What is the best long term bang for buck solution for all-round off-road and street driving?
I know that is an opinionated question but i want to see my options.
Thanks,
Speed
Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditch the blocks and get a new leaf pack plus a longer shackle to retain the lift. its gonna ride horrible if you dont have shocks.....

Last edited by Zpd426; 05-21-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 PM

Uhh, first off... GET SOME SHOCKS! That should help a TON with the ride.... I can't imagine not having shocks?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at the ZUK mod.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Zpd426
Ditch the blocks and get a new leaf pack plus a longer shackle to retain the lift. its gonna ride horrible if you dont have shocks.....
Apologies if this are dumb questions but i have never messed with suspension before.
How do i figure out how much longer shackles will i need? Is there some sort of formula i can use to figure that out?
Same length leafs?

Recommendations on shocks?
Thanks guys.

EDIT: ^ Zuk Mod. I have looked at that but i want to do this right to last a long time, i am sure Zuks mod works great, i have heard nothing but good things about him and his work but it seems to me that that mod is more like just putting a band-aid on rather than fixing the problem. This truck will be hauling heavy loads so i can't risk not doing it right.

Last edited by SpeedCrazy; 05-22-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazy
Apologies if this are dumb questions but i have never messed with suspension before.
How do i figure out how much longer shackles will i need? Is there some sort of formula i can use to figure that out?
Same length leafs?

Recommendations on shocks?
Thanks guys.

EDIT: ^ Zuk Mod. I have looked at that but i want to do this right to last a long time, i am sure Zuks mod works great, i have heard nothing but good things about him and his work but it seems to me that that mod is more like just putting a band-aid on rather than fixing the problem. This truck will be hauling heavy loads so i can't risk not doing it right.
Zuk mod is not a band-aid. The lift blocks are not a good way to get lift, even with shocks your 4" lift will still cause axle wrap. I just ditched my lift blocks with zuk mod, axle sits back in stock position, leaf springs are way up off the overloads now and the ride is not even comparable. For shackles, you usually get 1/2 the lift of the shackle; 2" lift shackles gives you 1" of actual lift.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
Zuk mod is not a band-aid. The lift blocks are not a good way to get lift, even with shocks your 4" lift will still cause axle wrap. I just ditched my lift blocks with zuk mod, axle sits back in stock position, leaf springs are way up off the overloads now and the ride is not even comparable. For shackles, you usually get 1/2 the lift of the shackle; 2" lift shackles gives you 1" of actual lift.
Oh i'm definitely not keeping the blocks. Thats why i wanted to know if i would need longer leaf springs.

So if i went with the zuk mod i would need a new pack of leaves, 8in shackles?(half the lif of the shackle) and what length springs? Oh and some shocks.
I would probably go with 150lb springs so as not to limit my payload capacity.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazy
Oh i'm definitely not keeping the blocks. Thats why i wanted to know if i would need longer leaf springs.

So if i went with the zuk mod i would need a new pack of leaves, 8in shackles?(half the lif of the shackle) and what length springs? Oh and some shocks.
I would probably go with 150lb springs so as not to limit my payload capacity.
You can use racing coils for the Zuk mod where you cut your bump stops, or Jeep coils for the uncut Zuk mod. The coils give you the lift you previously had with lift blocks. Lots of good posts here about the Zuk mod, I used Philberts: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51398127
Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 AM

You can use racing coils for the Zuk mod where you cut your bump stops, or Jeep coils for the uncut Zuk mod. The coils give you the lift you previously had with lift blocks. Lots of good posts here about the Zuk mod, I used Philberts: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51398127
I understand that the coils give lift but i want to know how to figure out what length of coil i need.
Say i am replacing 4" lift blocks(i thinks thats what mine are, they may be bigger but i haven't measured yet) i need to:
1. put longer shackles, 8" inch by your x" shackle = x/2" lift equation.
2. a coil spring
Correct?
Well how do i figure out the length length?
Thanks for your help and sorry if im being thick.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:07 AM

I think the best thing would just to get new leaf pack. Unless you want to relocate your hangers just get the same length leafs. Talk to some aftermarket companies like Deaver or national or sometimes companies like skyjacker have great leaf packs. Replace your leafs first and then gets shackle after you install them so you know how long you need.

I don't like the zuk mod. Its a great quick fix but your going to lose travel.

Bilsteins are good mid range shocks. If you do a lot of off road check out the 5150s
Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 AM

I think the best thing would just to get new leaf pack. Unless you want to relocate your hangers just get the same length leafs. Talk to some aftermarket companies like Deaver or national or sometimes companies like skyjacker have great leaf packs. Replace your leafs first and then gets shackle after you install them so you know how long you need.

I don't like the zuk mod. Its a great quick fix but your going to lose travel.

Bilsteins are good mid range shocks. If you do a lot of off road check out the 5150s
I am getting new leaf packs, these ones are stock and look just about done in. So stock length or longer leaf packs as i want to remove my blocks?

Thanks for the comment on the zuk mod, i was afraid of that.
Bilsteins, thats what google was telling me too. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
do some research on the f150 spring swap if you want to be really cheap. those plus longer shackles and some good shocks would be a good way to go
Old 05-22-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by bone collector
do some research on the f150 spring swap if you want to be really cheap. those plus longer shackles and some good shocks would be a good way to go
That sounds like a good idea, i have a friend with a lifted f150 who might let me have his stock springs cheap.
But i still need to know shackle length.... Is the "wanted lift*2=shackle length" equation what i need to go by or are there other factors.
EDIT:
Maybe not, it looks like to run f150s i would have to move the hanger. Is that correct? I don't currently have access to a welder or other necessary tools to do such a thing. I will come fall but i don't want to wait that long.

Last edited by SpeedCrazy; 05-22-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Keep in mind that you can only go so far with shackles. The farther you go, the more you change the pinion angle and if you change it too much you will accelerate wear on the drivetrain. You can correct that by moving the spring perches, but that is quite a lot of work.

If you want a 4" lift, you need shackles that are 8" longer than stock, not just 8" long. You can look up online to see what the stock length was, or you can just measure it.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:02 PM

Here's what I did to remove my 4" blocks.

I searched on eBay and bought a pair of 2" shackles.
Once I installed my new shackles I replaced my leafs with a factory set from a donor rig.
Now I only have 2" of lift in the rear. To Gain the extra 2" I swapped it the Zuk mod.

Now I'm currently setting on 4" of lift in the rear and 4" of lift In the front. Also have 3" body lift. Running 37" tire with room for 40's.

You can't really see the mods in this pic although it shows the amount of lift. Name:  null-70.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  193.6 KB
I no longer own this truck or I'd get ya better pics.

Here's a pic of the shackles i used
Name:  null-51.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  140.3 KB
Old 05-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_...996_s/1865.htm
80-96 f150 2wd rear springs are 2 1/2 inches wide and 56 inches long.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_...994_s/1941.htm
stock Toyota 4wd springs are 2 3/8 inches wide and 51 inches long. so by the time you get the 4 inches of lift it would be close. do your own research and come up with your own answers
Old 05-22-2013, 04:04 PM

What's your budget? You can get 4" of lift with just a new spring pack... call Deaver or national. Talk to them. Shackle length will just help fine tune your height a little after you get springs. Keep in mind the thickness of a multi leaf pack gives you a couple inches right of the bat.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy

Once I installed my new shackles I replaced my leafs with a factory set from a donor rig.
Now I only have 2" of lift in the rear. To Gain the extra 2" I swapped it the Zuk mod.

Now I'm currently setting on 4" of lift in the rear and 4" of lift In the front. Also have 3" body lift. Running 37" tire with room for 40's.

You can't really see the mods in this pic although it shows the amount of lift.

Thanks for posting advice with pics, really helps me, i am a hands on person.
Originally Posted by bone collector
http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_...996_s/1865.htm
80-96 f150 2wd rear springs are 2 1/2 inches wide and 56 inches long.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_...994_s/1941.htm
stock Toyota 4wd springs are 2 3/8 inches wide and 51 inches long. so by the time you get the 4 inches of lift it would be close. do your own research and come up with your own answers
Thanks for those specs. I am doing my own research as i can but i am a complete noob at suspension and until today i didn't even know what exactly i was searching for. Thank you for your patience and advice.
What's your budget? You can get 4" of lift with just a new spring pack... call Deaver or national. Talk to them. Shackle length will just help fine tune your height a little after you get springs. Keep in mind the thickness of a multi leaf pack gives you a couple inches right of the bat.
Thank you for that advice, that seems the most straight forward to me. I think this is the route i will go if i can afford it.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy

You can't really see the mods in this pic although it shows the amount of lift.

wow rusty
Old 05-24-2013, 03:38 AM

wow rusty
Lol WV that truck set for roughly six years in a yard. It's covered in surface rust however no severe rust. It's really clean now tho.

Quick Reply: Axle Wrap: Lifted 94 xcab 4x4