Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Axle change a breeze & other myths & legends

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle change a breeze & other myths & legends

Made the mistake of giving myself a limited amount of time to do a job yesterday. The greater mistake was perhaps reading the workshop manual and actually believing that after unbolting everything, there would be enough clearance to remove the stupid thing (axle). Unfortunately, when I decided I needed to drop the arm or pop the shock, I would have run out of time before my building was alarmed. Saturday afternoon too, so there was no way I was going to start driving out the splined bolts on the gear shaft. I had the truck half in a roller door, with it's arse out in the rain. I shoved it all back together and went home.

Doesn't seem too much of a waste of time as most of the hard work has been done now ie. heated and loosened the drive shaft nuts, replaced the dust cap retaining bolt, which seems to be made of lead or some other equally hard material. Cleaned all the grease and muck out of the area with my hair

After getting home and washing my hair.....a lot. I searched much further than I had before on the subject. Finding a plethora of near identical scenarios. I'm sure there are plenty of other omissions in the fsm that create traps for young players.

I did find that a solder sucker works great for holding a vacuum on the throttle opener and closing all the way. Sure beats sucking on it and trying to test resistance at the same time