Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aww come on!! New HG - help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aww come on!! New HG-help please-pics attached

HG replacement V6 3.0

This was going so smooth - got my gaskets for HG replacement yesterday, so tried to install the heads today and it all went up in smoke.

I set the heads on individually and then tried to imagine getting the crossover back on and could not see how it could be done. So I figured I'd install the crossover to the heads on the bench then lift both heads onto block.
For whatever reason the drivers side head wouldn't seat into place - I think the torqued crossover bolts hold the heads at a weird angle.
Anyhow, trying to lift the heads back off, the drivers side got stuck on the gasket and chewed it up a bit. Will add pics shortly:

Questions are:
Do I need a new left side HG? Is this one pooched?
Recommendations on how to get the crossover on once the heads are on the block individually?
Perhaps install the right head with crossover attached then add the left side head on and screw bolts on??

Suggestions please???

Last edited by snelson; 08-22-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:16 PM

definately get another gskt.don,t feel bad either,i did the same thing after rbldg engine.i managed to route the crossover up & over the trans thru the bottome left side,it was a pain in the butt but i didn't have to take the heads back off.set the crossover on top of the bell housing before putting the heads back on & it will be in place already to bolt up when done
Old 08-22-2007, 07:22 PM

Man, it's just so frustrating! You plan it all out, wait a week or two for gaskets - and then totally screw it up in seconds! AAArrrgghh

Littlerunner, how were you able to torque the crossover bolts to the heads? I don't see how to get a torque wrench back there??
Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 PM

i used an impact wrench,a long extension & a wobble impact socket for the ones I could get that way.the others i just got as tight as i could with a wrench.torque is not that important there as long as you dont over do it & break a bolt.make sure though to torque the head bolts properly & in the proper order along with the cam bolts when the time comes.i also torqed the intake & intake plenum but none of the exhaust stuff.hang in there you'll get it.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok easy solutions!

1. Get a new gasket (the peace of mind is worth it, trust me)
2. Place ONLY the crossover bolted to passenger side exhaust on back behind where the heads would be - ie the crossover resting on the bell housing of the tranny and the passenger side exahust mani resting on the motor mount.
3. install passenger side head.
4. install drivers side exhaust manifold on drivers side head on bench.
5. install drivers side head
6. now install passenger's side exh mani to passenger's side head...taking care to line up the crossover with the drivers side manifold bolts. In fact you may want to do this as you are placing the driver's side head in step 5.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 08-22-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Good advice from Bumpin' Yota...

Try www.engnbldr.com for head gaskets...