Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

automatic transmission fluid question

Old 12-31-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
automatic transmission fluid question

for any automatic experts out there...
I've had very few (none) automatics in my life before this truck....

I experienced what may be a shift solenoid problem when it was warm recently. I'm anticipating needing to replace the solenoids and do a fluid change.

last time I changed the fluid I just used some walmart dextron

but this time I would like advice on what fluid you guys recommend.

the truck is a 1986 4x4 with F.I.
the manual states Dex 2

I don't even think they make dex 2 anylonger, but assumed the current dex 4? was compatable...

what do you recommend for proper fluid brand and specification?

thanks in advance
brant
Old 12-31-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
B4 you go into changing solenoids you should check, test and adjust ur TPS, because if it's out of adjustment or is bad it affects the way ur trans. performs. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
Old 01-01-2014, 04:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is the truck doing?

I run Castrol Dex/Merc in my old vehicles that spec a Dex II/III fluid. Any quality "dex/merc" should be fine. They are not allowed to call it Dexron III anymore because the licence was pulled for that fluid.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:49 AM

Hi
i am using geniune gm dexron 6. Changed the atf using the passive oil change method. Drain 1 litre of fluid and top up with dex6. Drive a couple of hundred miles drain another litre. keep going like this until fluid is translunet red. made a real diffence on auto changes. should not change atf in one go unless auto box has had a regular oil changes as dex 6 will clean auto box internals very well. passive change allows gentle cleaning without loosening all the dirt and clogging filters and oilways
Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Thanks guys.. thanks for the fluid recommendations and also the education on a passive oil change. That one is new to me and interesting.

also I'm sorry for my slow reply
I wanted to get out in the garage and pull the codes

I was assuming it was a number one solenoid due to the symptom
(now I don't think so)

I had driven around town and running errands for about 45minutes
it was warmed up fully and a mild 50degree day
I stopped at a light and when it turned green the truck was in a high gear and barely would roll away when I throttled. The OD light was on at that point and I've never seen it light up before.

I down shifted manually and it kicked right down to first and drove normally. I manually shifted the gears on the way home

its an 1986 4x4 with 179K, and efi
I got it at 152K and changed the trans filter/new fluid
I got worried that possibly there was alot of dirty fluid and the filter could capture a lot (no maintenance history on the truck) so I changed the filter again at 167K with clean fluid again.

The other interesting thing is that the speedometer had started bouncing about 10K ago and the truck started shifting poorly.. similar to current, without shifting down. I learned that the #1 speed sensor is in the gauge cluster. I replaced with a brand new toyota speedo cable and the bouncing stoped, the shifting returned to normal. I had replaced the TPS at that time as I thought that might have been the culprit, but it was the cable that fixed it.

So today I rechecked the TPS. Its solid and holding all of the same readings as when I put it on and adjusted it 10K ago.

So then I just pulled the transmission codes.... and got code 61
or number 2 speed sensor.

I see on page AT-131 of the FSM that this is a sensor (looks like a 2 wire sensor) screwed into the trans case. The FSM recommends putting an OHM meter on it and passing a magnet by to see if it is picking up (what must be similar to an index wheel internally)

I test drove the truck for 60 miles and its acting completely normal at this point. No flashing OD, no problems shifting what so ever.

I'll do some searching on the site, but does anyone know which sensor is the #2, and roughly where it screws into the trans case?

I see a 2 wire sensor at the forward edge of the transmission pan about 2 inches above the pan. Looks like it could screw into the bellhousing area or near it. I'm guesing at this point as I see another 2 wire on the rear of the trans, into the transfer case (i'm guessing the rear one is the 4x4 indicator light on the dash)

anyone know where this #2 speed sensor screws in?

sorry for writting a book
thanks for any help or advice
brant
Old 01-01-2014, 05:03 PM

I found the VSS2
I was wrong, it is on the drivers side, up high

I pulled it and do get a pretty good reading with the magnet test
it changes slowly, but does change....

so I'm guessing its an intermittent wire at this point, or an intermittent sensor.

I cleared the codes and will drive it to work for a while and see what happens...

brant
Old 01-01-2014, 05:20 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I saved this info for anyone looking to by the shift solenoid kits Ken

shifting solenoid kit for autos on older Yotas(86~95)
Axiom Automotive Technologies....1360 Ingleside Rd.....Norfolk, VA 23502....800-622-6997 (kit#97420K)