Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

AutoChevy is giving resistance

Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoChevy is giving resistance

The local AutoZone a$$ head down here is claiming that he cant give me another Head Gasket because it wasnt properly intalled with sealant. I was under the impression that you dont put anything in between the head and block except for the gasket. No sealers or anything.

Does the FSM advise putting sealant on the gasket?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Check your decks for flat, and quit going to Autozone.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../7cylinder.pdf
go to page 19... nothing about sealant.
print that, go back to the store, show them that and tell em the only sealant necessary is shown on that same page, and only goes where the timing cover, block and head come together. the factory doesn't say to put sealant anywhere else so you didn't put sealant. the gasket didn't come with instructions to use sealant so you didn't use sealant.
replace the gasket or get the manager.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-13-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would never put sealant between the head and block...I would go in and if he gives you lip cal the DM the number is usually in plain sight at the store.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
I called them back, after your alls input and referring to the FSM and the jerk off told me he "always" uses sealant, and that he has been "doing head gaskets for 50 yrs now" so over the phone, because I am at work, I had him pull the haynes of the shelf there at AutoChevy, and read it word for word. T

Then I proceeded to ask about the replacement and he still managed to tell me I installed it incorrectly, so I got his boss on the phone and told him to read the same section, he knew I was right, and told the 70 year old assistant he was stupid right on the phone.

They are having one sent to the store as I write this, thanks for the quick help folks.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:41 AM

good deal.

now that that is settled... I have heard of people using a light coat of hi-tack spray on the gasket to hold it in place on the block while the head is being installed, but that's only been on engines whose block surface is angled, like v8's, and lacks dowels.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:45 AM

right on. When talking to these guys I try to give them as much info as possible, because the only thing they have worked on their whole life is a 600hp Chevy 350, and know nothing about anything else.

So I told him the giude pins just hold the thing in place, he said that wasnt the proper way, dude was a real Richard Holster.

This is just specific to my location, so if anyone works for AutoChevy, dont be offended, their is one guy that works there that is knowledgable.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 AM

actually, it's not specific to your area. I once had an employee looking for a radiator for a 68 beetle. after 4 parts book searches and a phone call, I had to let her off the hook and tell her the beetle didn't have a radiator. fortunately she had a sense of humor. but this was back when autozone was chief auto parts out here.
and just yesterday I went in to get a relay and the salesperson handed me a turn signal flasher. oh well.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
actually, it's not specific to your area. I once had an employee looking for a radiator for a 68 beetle. after 4 parts book searches and a phone call, I had to let her off the hook and tell her the beetle didn't have a radiator. fortunately she had a sense of humor. but this was back when autozone was chief auto parts out here.
and just yesterday I went in to get a relay and the salesperson handed me a turn signal flasher. oh well.
hahahahah, nice. I guess I cant complain, I put the HG on upside down in the first place, but come to think of it I had a sh-i-t load to drink. sometimes I wonder if the AutoChevy staff is drunk with some of the crap they come up with.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:04 AM

well, you know how it can be... experience and knowledge in the wrong proportions creates people who know enough to get into trouble and not enough to get out of it. my brother calls it 'book smart, not street smart'
(and I don't mean that as a jab at you, 'cause you figured the problem out)
Old 11-13-2008, 08:08 AM

I fully understand bro.....I guess this thread is over now. Thanlks for the help.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 AM

The FSM does call for sealant where the timing cover meets the block if I remember correct, but that isn't going to smell the difference between the HG going or not. It just means a tiny oil leak or not.

BUT, certainly no sealant is required on the entire head or block surfaces.