Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Auto to trans engine harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto to trans engine harness

Can someone help me find a write up that shows how to use an automatic trans engine harness and make it work for a 5 speed, please.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It really might be a big help to please tell us just what your working on??

Model Engine years if more then one.

Then just what do you mean by work??

It is not so much the harness but what ECM your trying to use
Old 09-25-2015, 05:46 AM

I bought a 94 pickup with the motor blown and in pieces in the bed of the truck. 22re 5 speed, 4x4 single cab. engine harness is almost all there except one spot is cut and I have no idea where it goes. I bought a running 22re (year unknown) it came out of an automatic truck. swapped flywheel, installed clutch, etc. got it into the truck. That harness was cut in the exact same spot. started connecting plugs and some are different some are the same. swapped some with the old harness in hopes they would work. A detailed wiring diagram would be great but I cant find anything. everyone says you didn't search this. I did and have been. maybe im typing the wrong keywords I don't know. Should I find a used ECM and Harness for a 5 speed and put it in? With that though, I'm sure I'll be in the same boat as I am now where the harness will not bolt up to the new motor. I can splice as needed to the new motor, but without a diagram I have no idea what goes where. Chiltons diagrams are terrible. I know this has been done a million times.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:12 PM

Red face

Just calm down!! We will get you through this.

Just where do you live ??

Maybe help is close at hand .

Can you post pictures of just where the harness is cut ??Take lots of pictures

Is it cut going into the ECU ??

Back to the O2 sensor and Transmission??

Since you know what you have with the 94 it would most likely to be easier to make that harness work on what ever engine you have

Not knowing the year of the harness your working on can be very frustrating.

Have you tried All Data ?? I myself like the hard copies of the EWD`s
Old 09-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A few years ago I asked a guy about this and below is the following PM I got from him.

PM I received
Yeah Its mostly bolt up. My advice is get a donor 5spd parts truck if you can, there are lots of small things that are handy to have that could cost and arm and a leg from the stealer ship. You need the pedal assembly from a 5spd, it directly swaps in when u take the original one out, you need a clutch master, then there is a hardline that goes along the fire wall , (same route as the brake lines), then there is a small rubber flex line that goes to another short hardline wich connects to the slave cylinder wich is bolted onto the side of the tranny. You have to cut a small hole in the fire wall for the clutch master, u could use a drill/holesaw, I used a die grinder and just carved it out. You need of coarse a 5spd tranny/tcase(the tcase on your auto wont work on a g or w series 5spd). A flywheel and a clutch. You have to cut the hole in your trans tunnel bigger, I traced the hole out of my parts truck on to a template and cut the one in my 4runner as close as possible, u can just use personal judgment. The mount on the cross member that bolts to the tcase is slightly bigger on the automatic, the bolts are farther apart so you need that mount(im pretty sure, I just bought new hd ones anyways from trail gear) The way to trick you ecu is easy, get a 4 inch piece of wire with a spade connector on each end and plug it into the harness that comes down beside the starter and is supposed to go to the auto trans, its super simple and I can take a pic for you once you get there. I did dual transfer cases so i had to modify my drive shafts anyways, im not totaly sure if the auto and 5spd tranny is the same length, i dont think drive shafts mods are neccesary though. Id also get a boot for around the shifter if you can, makes closer that hole easier, less noise. I covered everything I can think of, the only parts that arent simple bolt up is cutting the holes for the clutch master and in the tranny tunnel for the shifter which is simple. Id do it again, its really simple. Hope I helped, anymore questions just ask.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:59 PM

Old 09-26-2015, 03:02 PM

so the harness was cut under the intake manifold going towards the back of the motor. If I knew where it went to then I should be ok
Old 09-26-2015, 11:05 PM

Red face

That looks like where the main engine harness goes through the fire wall into the cab to the ECU.

Because the people that pulled the engine were to lazy to unplug the harness much easier to just cut the harness .

You have your work cutout

If you can find yourself a intact engine harness for the truck and engine you have it will save you lots of time.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I cant tell if it is the one that goes thru the firewall or thru the plenum and to the transmission, transfer case and reverse light. Need a picture more to the front of the truck showing another part of the harness.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:25 AM

I'm down in Sumter, South Carolina. Sorry I didn't answer that the first time. I think it may go to the tranny and reverse lights now that you say that it would make sense. I'll take some more pics shortly and post them. Thank you both for your responses. Do either one of you know where a good diagram is online that you could send me the link to? I can't find a good one for anything.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:53 PM

Here's another picture backed. What all plugs where down to the tranny and so forth? Because that looks like what's missing
Old 09-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I done it once but not sure how to do it again. There is a program called Wayback. You can use it to look up old sites on the FSM. The FSMs used to be online but some company bought the rights to them so as to sell the manuals. Somehow you should be able to go aback about two years and find them.

I can see the Injector harness is going thru to the firewall just beside the wiper motor. The one that are cut do go down to the reverse light and transfer case light. As long as the bare wires are not touching each other, such as taping the ends up individually. As far as which one goes to the computer I don't know which one it would be.

If you are more computer savvy then me this should have it. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...72/index2.html

Another link http://web.archive.org/web/201012200...com/index.html

Might be what you need http://web.archive.org/web/201108140...es/wiring.html

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-27-2015 at 01:26 PM.