Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Auto Tranny Won't Downshift properly

Old 02-22-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Tranny Won't Downshift properly

Hey guys I have a 86 4runner with an auto transmission. I had the transmission rebuilt about 8 months ago because of the same problem, but it was never fixed. I had such a terrible experience with the shop I just gave up. They said that they replaced all the solinoids and the torque converter...a full rebuild whatever that means. Most of the time it shifts properly through the lower gears but will prematurely go into overdrive. If you stomp the gas it will not down shift from overdrive. I was able to hit the o/d button on the shifter to get it out until yesterday, now the button does nothing. Also the other day I started the truck and it acted like it was in 3rd so I manualy put it in 1st and it popped out. So basiclly I have to manually shift the truck to get it to shift properly. My truck does have the "electronicly controlled transmission" could it have something to do with that?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If the #1 solenoid isn't working the tranny will be in 3rd when the selector is in D. If both #1 and #2 aren't working it'll be in O/D. If the solenoids fail completely the O/D light will flash indicating trouble codes are stored, so I would guess the solenoids are just sticking.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:46 AM

Is there somthing that I can add to keep them from sticking...? I just have no Idea because it is sporatic.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it back to the shop, and MAKE them put in NEW solenoids,, not just cleaned ,refurbed ones. If it was a full rebuild, there ahs to be some warranty.

Mike in AR
Old 02-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Banned for stupidity

i have the same porblem with my 89 4runner...it will not down ÅÅÅÅ from 3rd or 2nd some times at a complelete stop..so i wolud be starting off in 3rd at a stop...a lot of fun...i usally shift it into Low at that point then countiue to shift it manuelay till it fixes itself...tranny shop says it's falling apart inside and needs to be replaced...i will have it done when it breaks for good...but i would not go with a rebuild... i hear this is a common porblem for the auto trannys for this gen and that poeple usally swicth them to manules...i want a manule...but o well... i will live with it for now and just get it flushed every now and then...thats seems to make it better...
Old 02-22-2006, 02:40 PM

in my expierience the aftermarket solenoids are not as good as the oem toyota ones. the aftermarket have 2 wires comming out one ground one power. the toyota just have power and ground themselves out on the valve body. the same thing happened to me with new solenoids. i rebuilt my valve body with new springs and valves and the problem was gone. it could also be a bad ecu but ive rarley seen a toyota ecu go bad. you also may want to try adjusting you cable on the throttle body it controls line pressure in the transmission and that may also cause it. and one last thing check to see if you coolant temp sensor is operating properly because it does tie into the o/d circuit. what temp is the truck operating at?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:28 AM

the temp rises right up to the red then goes back down toa little over half. I want to try every possible route before I go back to the shop. It was cottman transmission and the warranty was 6 month and it has been 8. Is it hard to change out the springs and valves? Would I have to pull the tranny out? I had the same problem with the tranny before it was rebuilt so it makes me think that the problem may be electrical or the solinoids are sticking some how. Again the problem is sporatic.....
Old 02-23-2006, 02:55 PM

If you think its only sticking valves,, you 'could' try to clean the varnish out by using Line-X ( if they make an auto tranny product ) or Trans-X. Drain out enough fluid to make it full when you replace it with the cleaning product. Then drive it a while ( or per manufacturer's instructions ). Then drain the whole thing, and put new fluid back in.

You may want to drop the pan and clean the filter screen at this time.

Mike in AR
Old 02-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Banned for stupidity

can you help me out with my porblem??? the tranny shop said there was small slivers of metal in the tranny fuild,from the tranny itself...anyone know what could be happening inside??? they say the pieces of metal get stuck in the governor and that causes it to not down shift...so any help is welcomed...thnxs
Old 02-23-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by V_Runner
can you help me out with my porblem??? the tranny shop said there was small slivers of metal in the tranny fuild,from the tranny itself...anyone know what could be happening inside??? they say the pieces of metal get stuck in the governor and that causes it to not down shift...so any help is welcomed...thnxs
You probably have an A340F or A340E transmission. All the shifting is controlled by solenoids that move valves in the valve body and control hydraulic pressure. I suppose that metal shavings could get stuck in the valve / valvebody and cause your shifting trouble. It is possible to remove the pan, hydraulic tubes, filter screen, solenoids and valve body from the transmission while the tranny is still in the vehicle. You may be able to clean out any offending particles. But if you have shavings, they are coming from somewhere. So this may only be a temporary fix.

Mike in AR
Old 02-25-2006, 05:36 AM
Banned for stupidity

yeah becuse the tranny shop siad when they'd cleaned all the particles out that "they were coming from somewhere inside...and still will keep coming"...so my real qeustion is where do you think they are coming from???and how do i fix it???or should i just wait for it to die then get a new one instaled???? thnxs again
Old 02-25-2006, 08:53 AM

If it gets to buggin' ya too much, you'll prolly have to pull it and rebuild it. I've not been inside either of those style transmissions, so I don't have any suggestions about where the metal is coming from. I would 'guess' it's coming from a bushing that is about to 'go'.

Mike in AR

Have your wallet prepared for a shock. Rebuild prices on an A340H ( with integral transfer case ) is on the order of $2,500.

Last edited by regularguy412; 02-25-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:11 AM
Banned for stupidity

they want $2,500 to replace it with a new one...
Old 02-27-2006, 08:24 AM

That's basically what you get. Yes.

Mike in AR
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM

i think the auto transmission in these trucks were made to make us rip our hair out. i have a problem with it going back and forth from 3rd to 4th about every 5 miles. ive changes all the solenoids, tps, throttle body, water temp, temp sending, adjusted the cable, used sea foam, and even changed the computer.. the last thing i thing i can change is the OD button and if theres a part on the transmission... if i can find it. my truck is about to find its way to mexico soon...
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Your problem might be a bad torque convertor. Is it holding lock up?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 PM

its wierd.. it doesnt matter the temp or anything like that.. it either drives normal, or it doesnt. it never slips makes any noise at all..