86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Tranny Fluid Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Tranny Fluid Questions

Sorry for the newb question, but I searched around a bit and did not find what I was looking for. I have an 86 Turbo 4Runner with the auto transmission, it calls for Dexron III (I think, it says on the tranny dipstick).

Can you use the later versions (Dexron V, etc)? When you read the back of the bottle it seems that it updates all previous models but I could be wrong. I plan on doing a full drain and flush, so all the fluid will be replaced. I'm also going to install Inchworms transfer case adapter in the next month or two, so I will change the fluid again at that time.

Also, is anyone running synthetic ATF? My friend picked up a old Subaru a couple years ago for cheap, he thought the auto trans was going out (reverse hardly worked, and slipped in most other gears). He installed Amsoil synthetic ATF and hasn't had an issue since. As far I know my transmission is stock and orginal (240,000 miles), so I don't mind investing some money to keep it in good shape.

One more thing, I've noticed that when i come to a stop in gear (drive) the RPM's will drop a bit and the vehicle will shutter. It's even stalled out and died a couple of times. Is there a certain issue that could be causing this? The fluid level is good.

Last edited by DIRTCO; 12-05-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The newer dexrons are improved versions. I wouldn't waste the money to drain and then in 2 months install the adapter and drain again. I think the tranny and transfer together hold about 15 quarts. The only way to do a total flush is take it to a place the hooks up a machine that pumps fluid through it. With 240k, when doing the adapter install, I would drop the pan, clean the filter, check the accumulator seals etc. I would not take a chance with the torque converter, I would have it rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt by a guy who does it for dragsters and mud racers. He made it "bullet proof", by welding the internal parts, cost $125. The stalling you refer to is just like mine did just before the head gasket blew. It was leaking water out the exhaust and would stutter and sometimes die at idle with my foot on the brake.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Run synthetic in my 97 if it helps any.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
Old 12-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3
The newer dexrons are improved versions. I wouldn't waste the money to drain and then in 2 months install the adapter and drain again. I think the tranny and transfer together hold about 15 quarts. The only way to do a total flush is take it to a place the hooks up a machine that pumps fluid through it. With 240k, when doing the adapter install, I would drop the pan, clean the filter, check the accumulator seals etc. I would not take a chance with the torque converter, I would have it rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt by a guy who does it for dragsters and mud racers. He made it "bullet proof", by welding the internal parts, cost $125. The stalling you refer to is just like mine did just before the head gasket blew. It was leaking water out the exhaust and would stutter and sometimes die at idle with my foot on the brake.
I work at a shop where we have bulk ATF and I'm pretty sure I can get it free, or at least cheap. I just figured that if I drained it now and let this new fluid "clean up" what old fluid is in the system, when I install the adapter and refill again, most the old fluid will be long gone.

We work on mostly Ford vans (around 200 or so), we do not have a flushing machine. So to remove the most fluid we can, we will pull one of the cooler lines and have a large container of ATF waiting. Start up the vehicle and once fluid starts coming out of the cooler start adding fluid. This seems to flush the tranny of most of the old fluid pretty well. When I first started I was a little concerned about the whole thing, but it seems to work well and we hardly ever have to replace a transmission. I still don't know if I want to try it on my own vehicle

The stalling / or shuttering issue, is only when I come to a stop in gear (reverse and drive, reverse is the worst). When I come to a stop the RPM's will drop a bunch and the vehicle will shake a bit, and sometimes die (like coming to a stop in a man. trans vehicle without pushing in the clutch (but not as bad). If I shift it in to neutral the RPM's come back up and it's fine. I wonder if it could be an issue the torque converter not unlocking all the way? It also does not do it all the time, and it seems to have gotten better since I installed the 35"s and 5.29's (if that makes an since).

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
best bet is using the oldest available compatible fluid...
your truck should require Dexron II... so then Dexron III, then Dexron IV, then Dexron V.
Somewhere in the middle someone figured you can use a Dex/Merc fluid (between Dextron III and Dextron V, they figured out how to merge Mercon into Dexron without hurting or inhibiting either).
Old 12-06-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
best bet is using the oldest available compatible fluid...
your truck should require Dexron II... so then Dexron III, then Dexron IV, then Dexron V.
Somewhere in the middle someone figured you can use a Dex/Merc fluid (between Dextron III and Dextron V, they figured out how to merge Mercon into Dexron without hurting or inhibiting either).
That makes since, do you think it would create any issues using a later version? I thought about using the synthetic ATF, but I would like to be able to get the ATF just about anywhere (gas station, parts store, etc) in case of any kind of issue I might come across in the middle of nowhere (the price also has something to do with it ).
Old 12-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
like I said, use the oldest available. If they have Dexron IV and Dexron V on the shelf, I'd use the IV.
And if they have the Dex/Merc on the shelf, I'd use that before I'd use Dexron IV.
Just my opinion.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you think the tc is not unlocking, unplug the ECT unit and do a manual shift. You will not have lock up in 3rd and OD. The ECT is at the front of the console under the radio. You might have to unbolt it from the floor to get the plug loose.