Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Auto Radiator into Manual truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Auto Radiator into Manual truck?

Well, my rad needs to be replaced. Bad. So after months of searching for good used rads I found a really nice one out of a 93 auto 4runner. I assumed it would bolt right in no problems, well, now that im about to put it in, im not too sure...

The 4runner rad looks a little thicker, but I dont think that will be a problem. The thing I worried about is the fittings on the bottom of the auto rad.

I have a feeling these are the input,output for the tranny cooler.

Can I block these and just run the rad? If so, how should I go about doing this? Or can I just run a line from each so they connect to eachother?

Thanks guys!

Here are pictures..

*truck rad, currently installed and falling apart*

*4runner rad, sitting in the garage*

Last edited by Jay351; 07-09-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ya it wont flow anything out those holes. Just put some little rubber nipples over them and call it good. They actualy only sell the Auto radiators now in the stores I believe. they are the same.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes they are the same, you can cut and crimp off those lines if you want to solve the problem, even solder it a little if your really concerned about them, or take them out and find a plug that threads in. I have a 94 4runner radiator in my truck
Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. I filled up the rad to get all the dirt out of it, plugged the input/output and those guys didn't leak a drop. So I stuck the hose into one and nasty tranny fluid cam shooting out the other side.. All over my driveway!!! Dammit!

I will just leave them open untill I get some rubber peices to cap the ends off.

Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:13 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I connected them with a piece of hose.

The plan is to use the tranny cooler part as a power steering cooler on the low pressure side ...
Old 07-09-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tc
I connected them with a piece of hose.

The plan is to use the tranny cooler part as a power steering cooler on the low pressure side ...
I was once thinking about doing the same thing. but got a free cooler so decided to just go with it. I wonder how much it would help cool the PS
Old 07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

It's gonna increase the fluid volume by A TON, so I think it would help a lot. My PS fluid gets HOT when on a trail that uses the front locker a lot.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 PM

I just threaded them out, pounded them flat and bent them over. Too bad you can't use it as an engine oil cooler, or mabye you can?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
tc
Contributing Member

You could, but the plumbing would be a PITA since there's not really any external oil lines like there are power steering hoses.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Well, the rad is in, flushed and filled with 50/50 toyota red coolant and purified water.

I took a bunch of pictures, planning on doing a little write up to help others in the future. I swear my manual said the cooling system takes 10.5 litres, I was only able to get just about 7 in there..

On a side note, I had wondered why I was getting a hot spot on one side of my rad (can feel it through the mesh grill) turns out a big patch ( 10x10" or so) was almost rotted out! All the fins were falling out at the touch of your finger.

That power steering cooler is a great idea, nice to know I have the ability to add a cooling system to something

Last edited by Jay351; 07-09-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 PM

I guess you would have to run an remote filter adaptor and run the oil that way, but I think hte power steering idea is fantastic, hydaulic systems love volume, just the extra capacity should bring down the temp, the cooling is bonus.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
I swear my manual said the cooling system takes 10.5 litres, I was only able to get just about 7 in there..
It ain't full yet ... Toyota radiators are notorious for trapping air and looking full when they're not. Be sure to have the overflow bottle FULL and check it after every time you drive the next couple times!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

well, its at the Full line now. I squeezed the upper hose and got some air out. Everything is circulating okay ( I think).

Im really not sure how much I got out of the rad since right after the flow stopped I stuck the hose in there and flushed everything out.

I will keep a jug of 50/50 toyota coolant and purified water in the truck for the next while, I will go out and check it again tonight and again tomorrow.

Last edited by Jay351; 07-09-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:13 PM

park it on a steep incline with the rad cap side slightly higher, then run the truck with the rad cap off and fill the burps.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
You could, but the plumbing would be a PITA since there's not really any external oil lines like there are power steering hoses.
The only real PITA about it is finding the fittings that will tap into the oil press. sending unit. Once that's resolved, the getting the rubber lines and doing the actual plumbing are not at all hard.

I have Frantz remote/bypass filter that taps into the sending unit hole with a T connector, the sending unit taps into that, and sending line runs to the filter housing. The return line from the filter runs to the oil cap, taps into that so that oil is constantly dumped onto the valvetrain. Pretty nifty on cold starts.

Anyway, I bought a new rad a couple months ago and wondered the same thing as being asked here about using the would be trans fittings for an engine oil cooler. I'd asked a mechanic that builds racing engines (figuring he would know if anyone would) and he said it wouldn't be any different than running an actual oil cooler. So, this is just to illustrate that it can be done....IF you can find the damn fittings!!! It is not easy....atleast in my area.

Since it's not an issue for me...I have the fittings already...eventually I will extend the return line to the sending side on the rad and then run another line to the cap. Right now, with an over sized spin on filter and the remote I'm running right around a 6qt. capacity. I have no idea what it'll amount to once I tap into the rad, but I'm guessing between another 1-2qts. atleast. This ought to help make the oil last a bit longer when I eventually put synth back in. I'm still during a rebuild break in period.

Oh....one may wonder why go through the trouble? I haul weight and tow a trailer regularly through the hills here in the Ozarks. Heat, heat, heat!

Last edited by thook; 07-09-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Well, my driveway is on a slight incline, so I figured that would be good enough. Last time I burped my rad I jacked up the front end. I guess I will do that tomorrow.

I did however manage to get another .5L into the rad after it cooled off. I think im up to about 8L in there now. Unless I got water into the engine and it just didnt drain out...
Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM

man thats one of the best ideas ive heard all day!! you know what, make that all week. what would be more benificial, oil cooler or PS cooler? i guess you could use the rad for one and get a external for the other. god yota tech rocks! this forum makes me want to spend so much money though
Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 PM

the water is a possability, I think I got about 9 lts last week after the flush.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

When I flushed out my original rad, after the water slowed to a drip I undid the lower rad hose and proceded to get COVERED in coolant and water... MMM!!

So im thinking there is some water that was left in there, perhaps a liter or two...

Tomorrow I will jack up the front end a good ft and a half and burp the rad, I just ate and now its time to have a beer and relax
Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Quick Reply: Auto Radiator into Manual truck?