Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Aussie locker in snow/ice conditions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie locker in snow/ice conditions

I really want to get aussie lockers for a few reasons.

1)Cost

2)Ease of install

3)increased performance

Before I begin I have searched yotatech for 2 days now with no real clear cut answer.

Now all that said here is where I am questioning my decision. My 4runner is my daily driver, but only when weather is bad, the other times I ride my R6. By bad weather I mean rain and snow/ice conditions. Other than I only take the 4Runner when I go offroading. I have been wheeling for a while and want to increase my 4Runners abilities, but at the same time I do not want to make it a trail only rig. From what I understand because I have manual hubs the front will not be effected in 2wd when driving in normal conditions

So here goes:

Will I be limiting my self to no snow/ice driving in 4wd with a front aussie locker?

If I were to get both a front and rear would it make driving in 2wd in the snow/ice dangerous?

I want to get locked and do it cheap but not if it wont work for ME and MY needs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With such specific needs, why not wait a season and save enough for an ARB setup?
Old 09-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would put it in the rear, driving snow with front and rear autolockers would be scary.

from what I have read the aussies have great road manners, I am still waiting for a v6 version!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bskey
With such specific needs, why not wait a season and save enough for an ARB setup?
well that the thing, I want to know if I should wait and save up, or if this system will fit my needs.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:44 AM

An Aussie will definitely be scary in the front in the slick stuff because you likely won't have enough traction to get it to unlock well. I would definitely save up for an ARB for the front.

On the rear I've been running an Aussie for a year. We didn't have any snow last winter so I can't really comment on that (although I don't think it'll be unmanageable). In the rain it's not bad at all as long as you're not on bald tires. I have probably 50% on my BFG ATs and have to work kinda hard to get it to break loose in the rain. The thing is once you do get it to break loose watch out because it will come around on you quick. But, as long as you don't hammer in hard in turns it the rain it is of zero concern. Normal driving is just that.

Last edited by amgraham; 09-17-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:56 AM

I was wondering the same, not so much about an Aussie in the front since I have manual hubs, but I've read a couple of comments about Aussie's being better in the rear than some of the other auto lockers for weekend wheelers and daily drivers.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:12 AM

I just did front and rear in my truck. Have not drove it in the winter but the little I have had it off road it is a totally different truck!! I would not go without them now. As far as driving in 2wd on the snow if you take off easy and drive with a little common sense you should be fine. I had a 84 K5 Blazer with a mini spool in the front of it with manual hubs. In the snow I would just lock one hub and could get around just fine. I would do the dual aussie and save the money you didn't spend on the arb for something else. Another thing you have to think about is install. If you don't know a lot about setting up gears you would have to pay someone to set up the arb where you could do the aussie's in a day if you have some idea around the garage. just my thoughts. Bill
Old 09-17-2007, 06:56 AM

I was waiting for someone to suggest to ole 1 hub lock. I thought about this as well and know where you guys stand. Truck goes in for a LSD rear and Aussie front with a manual hub conversion on my 02 Runner. And I though since I live in FL ice and snow are no big worry but I wondered if just locking 1 hub would work, apparently so. I would imagine since it's snow and ice driving like a jackasasorous is not recommended.

Aaron
Old 09-17-2007, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by sdstud212001
So here goes:

Will I be limiting my self to no snow/ice driving in 4wd with a front aussie locker?
Yes, with the front axles locked it will be tough to navigate turns on good surfaces, nevermind bad conditions.

If I were to get both a front and rear would it make driving in 2wd in the snow/ice dangerous?
Yes, to put in plainly, but with a little getting used to a rear locker in 2-HI will be fine in bad conditions.

I want to get locked and do it cheap but not if it wont work for ME and MY needs.

Thanks in advance.

In conclusion, Aussies front and rear will greatly improve your off-roading abilities, but most (READ: most) front lockers will give limited turning radius and response on paved surfaces and some that aren't. I would suggest just getting a rear locker for now and enjoy that for a while, with locked rear in 2-HI you'll be able to go places you couldn't go in open/open in 4-HI. If you want to do both, go ahead, just I seriously suggest not using 4-HI on the streets with a locked front, especially in bad weather...hope this helps
Old 09-17-2007, 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys, I am really looking forward to hear about how your stuff handels in the snow later this year. maybe I will bring this thread back up later for an update.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be sure to look at where people are from and consider their responses appropriately. The guy from Canada probably knows a thing or two about driving in snow/ice.

Personally, I have ARB's and would never do anything else.

Another factor to keep in mind - do other people (wife, girlfriend, kids, etc) drive your truck? They probably won't listen to you about keeping off the gas in corners until they put the truck in the rail/ditch.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by tc
Another factor to keep in mind - do other people (wife, girlfriend, kids, etc) drive your truck? They probably won't listen to you about keeping off the gas in corners until they put the truck in the rail/ditch.
Good point. I haven't let anyone else drive my truck since the rear locker because of this. Granted, nobody really wants to drive it anyway
Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by tc

This really isn't an issue right now because my wife has the 01 4Runner (in sig) and no one really apreciates the 87 like I do.