86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Attn: 22RE lovers - need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: 22RE lovers - need some advice.

So, I'll spare the full sob story, but basically my 1994 Toy Pickup (4x2, 2.4, 22RE, Standard bed) with only 136K original miles on it was brutally rear-ended over the weekend. Turns out the offending driver is uninsured and I don't have collision insurance to cover it. Repair estimates are well over the Blue Book value, so it's clearly a total loss. It's still drivable and otherwise in great condition but the bumper, tailgate and bed ass'y. are totally compromised.

It's just a crying shame because, as those of you familiar with these models are probably aware, I could easily get another 10 years out of that sweet engine - and was planning on doing so until I got so rudely smashed up. Cosmetically, she's not in the best shape and a lot of the original plastic hardware has broken down, but this truck is such a tough workhorse.

I guess I'm just trying to get some insight as to what people think would be a reasonable deal for someone who might be interested in investing in it as a reclamation project - knowing the longevity of what's under the hood. I've thought about scavenging for a replacement box and bumper or retrofitting for a wood bed/flatbed or something, but I'd rather put time and money in a newer Toyota. That being said, can anyone explain how people can list (CL, for example) older Toy trucks with much more mileage for so much more than what they're traditionally valued at? I'm a newbie here so tell me how it is! I just know I loved this truck and she made me a Toyota truck lifer.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Attn: 22RE lovers - need some advice.-img_0221.jpg   Attn: 22RE lovers - need some advice.-img_0219.jpg  
Old 06-24-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sorry about your being hit from behind.

I have to think with a impact that hard it also twisted the frame in the back as well.

Just because people list a price does not mean that get top dollar when it does sell.Sometimes you think it is really worth the inflated price.

I could list my stripped parts truck for $5000.00 very doubtful if I would even get $300.00

Only you know if your truck is not worth fixing .

I am sure I am not the only one to put $10,000.00 plus into a vehicle I bought for $500.00
Old 06-25-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
In my area, someone would pay quite a bit for a low mileage Toyota, even wrecked. They are in high demand right now. I believe it is because they are an excellent starting point for a rock crawler and they seem to have got really "cool" with high school and college kids. If you are mechanically inclined at all, you could buy a cheap, high mileage truck with a blown engine, swap all of your parts, have it painted to end up with a similar truck.

Do you have uninsured motorist coverage with your insurance? You might get some money that way. If the guy who hit you has anything at all (probably a welfare loser though, if he had no insurance), you might try getting a lawyer to sue him for the value of your truck.

By the looks of your plates, you are in across the country in Georgia? If you were closer I would make you an offer!

Last edited by the_supernerd; 06-25-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by matrad
So, I'll spare the full sob story, but basically my 1994 Toy Pickup (4x2, 2.4, 22RE, Standard bed) with only 136K original miles on it was brutally rear-ended over the weekend. Turns out the offending driver is uninsured and I don't have collision insurance to cover it. Repair estimates are well over the Blue Book value, so it's clearly a total loss. It's still drivable and otherwise in great condition but the bumper, tailgate and bed ass'y. are totally compromised.

It's just a crying shame because, as those of you familiar with these models are probably aware, I could easily get another 10 years out of that sweet engine - and was planning on doing so until I got so rudely smashed up. Cosmetically, she's not in the best shape and a lot of the original plastic hardware has broken down, but this truck is such a tough workhorse.

I guess I'm just trying to get some insight as to what people think would be a reasonable deal for someone who might be interested in investing in it as a reclamation project - knowing the longevity of what's under the hood. I've thought about scavenging for a replacement box and bumper or retrofitting for a wood bed/flatbed or something, but I'd rather put time and money in a newer Toyota. That being said, can anyone explain how people can list (CL, for example) older Toy trucks with much more mileage for so much more than what they're traditionally valued at? I'm a newbie here so tell me how it is! I just know I loved this truck and she made me a Toyota truck lifer.

Thanks!
Man, It's a shame what happened to your Toyo. I have an 88 4x4. It could use a little body work, None are even close to yours. But it got me thinking if I was in a similar situation, there would be no doubt I would be walking. Those AH's driving with no insurance is no joke. And back to my friend who just lost his truck, I have a 22RE that is well into 22.000 miles and it still pulls my boat anywhere I want to fish here in Florida. Here's Wishing Everyone A Wonderful "YOTAYEAR" !!!!!!
Old 01-01-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
yeah, bring up a four year old thread as your very first post! you rock!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:06 PM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Put one of those fancy beds on it, sell it as an "overlander" for 10k.

The following users liked this post:
Zig505 (10-16-2019)