Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone seen this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone seen this?

http://www.trail-gear.com/axlehousing.html

Pretty cool rear axle housing for yotas. Not sure if I missed discussion on this one or not.

If I could get a 6" passenger side offset it would work perfect on my Samurai.

Thought I'd share.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks solid for $400. Now if they made one for front IFS that's be sweet
Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's sweet, I'd like to see how the drain plug is protected.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 AM

Would not touch that with a 10ft pole. It is typical TG trash. Dont beleive me?....

Grab some pop corn!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=trail+gear
Old 01-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Well I'm not about to go through 17 pages of that crap but looking at a few pages it seem like the biggest complaint is the looks, I'm suprised the "hard core" guys on Pirate even give a crap about looks. Like one guy said lots of the homemade axle housings are warped from the bad welding. Looks good to me, I suspect there is just a bias against TG because of the way they broke off from Marlin.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Well I'm not about to go through 17 pages of that crap but looking at a few pages it seem like the biggest complaint is the looks, I'm suprised the "hard core" guys on Pirate even give a crap about looks. Like one guy said lots of the homemade axle housings are warped from the bad welding. Looks good to me, I suspect there is just a bias against TG because of the way they broke off from Marlin.
ah, I suggest keep reading.

The 3rd would not mount up, the fill plug was tapped crooked, there was welding splatter all over the threads, there was splatter all over the inside of the housing, the flange holes were not centered (not a big deal but not hard to do and shows the motives that many of us know tg has)...... and much more

What was TG's respose to 4rnrricks findings? They told him they didnt want his business anymore!

Last edited by 4rnr; 01-05-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

What page was all that on?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4rnr
business anymore!
lol no thanks
i got out of high school and the term "your gay!" gets old and its really not a good argument as to why an axle isnt good
if your willing to read 63 pages of worthless talk then pirate does have a lot of good info tho....
Old 01-05-2008, 10:09 AM

It really doesn't take much effort to find what 4rnr is talking about. I read it a while ago when it happened and from all the stuff I already know about trail gear, many first hand expreriences form guys in our club, and now this. I don't think I plan on getting ANYTHING from TG anytime soon.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by kylextrisler
lol no thanks
i got out of high school and the term "your gay!" gets old and its really not a good argument as to why an axle isnt good
if your willing to read 63 pages of worthless talk then pirate does have a lot of good info tho....
huh, I dont follow.

"your gay"????

"63 pages"????

Im lost.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM

huh, I dont follow.

"your gay"????

"63 pages"????

Im lost.

im talking about how the majority on pirate automatically jumps to "thats gay" or "your gay" when they find something they dont like, like the axle housing
and the 63 pages was an exaggeration of how many pages of the lame remarks you have to read through in order to find some useful information

i did fail to mention that you saved everyone from the useless rants on pirate by telling us a reason why we shouldnt buy the TG part
i read thru the first page and saw too many rainbow flags and "i think its gay" and "my D60 is better" to want to read on
Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by kylextrisler
im talking about how the majority on pirate automatically jumps to "thats gay" or "your gay" when they find something they dont like, like the axle housing
and the 63 pages was an exaggeration of how many pages of the lame remarks you have to read through in order to find some useful information

i did fail to mention that you saved everyone from the useless rants on pirate by telling us a reason why we shouldnt buy the TG part
i read thru the first page and saw too many rainbow flags and "i think its gay" and "my D60 is better" to want to read on
Ahh

Yeah there is alot of basless bashing but it gets better and is actually a great read once rick posts up his pictures and findings.

Like I tell all my Ih8mud friends (including the owner) when they ask me why Im on pirate. True, there a bunch of sandy vaginas there but in a way it almost necessary to maintain the most extreem mini truck tech there is. I would be sad to see it go.

Last edited by 4rnr; 01-05-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Ahh

Yeah there is alot of basless bashing but it gets better and is actually a great read once rick posts up his pictures and findings.

Like I tell all my Ih8mud friends (including the owner) when they ask me why Im on pirate. True, there a bunch of sandy vaginas there but in a way it almost necessary to maintain the most extreem mini truck tech there is. I would be sad to see it go.
the write ups on pirate make it worth it...like the RAV-4 write up, thats awesome
i dont really go on ih8mud much because its mostly FJ's but that is a pretty b/a forum aswell
ttora and wild yotas are pretty good also
but nothing really lives up to yotatech and ih8mud for toyota tech, pirate too but thats my last resort haha

hijack off ;-)
Old 01-05-2008, 01:25 PM

on pages 5,6 and a 7 there is an honest review of it and on page 10 are more pictures of bought axels. the guys review basically said the overall design was good but alot of the small things were messed up and if a little more attention was paid during the manufacturing it would be a really good axel for $400

at least thats what i got out of it, but seriously most of that thread is just bashing TG based off of opinions.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:27 PM

I wish they had one for tacoma's. I found out that my housing is twisted a few days ago when i was changing the wheel bearing. Unfortunately its hard to find used tacoma housings with locker/abs because they are so new. If i cant find another one i will be purchasing a diamond solid 4130 chromoly housing and installing that. Either way ive been taking a lot of pictures so i will due a nice tech writeup for axle housing swap once i have the new housing installed.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by notanymore
on pages 5,6 and a 7 there is an honest review of it and on page 10 are more pictures of bought axels. the guys review basically said the overall design was good but alot of the small things were messed up and if a little more attention was paid during the manufacturing it would be a really good axel for $400

at least thats what i got out of it, but seriously most of that thread is just bashing TG based off of opinions.
Thanks for the page #s, that does look like some poor quality fabrication in those pics. I wouldn't be too happy with that axle if I'd ordered it. I am happy with my TG sliders though.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

The 3rd would not mount up, the fill plug was tapped crooked, there was welding splatter all over the threads, there was splatter all over the inside of the housing, the flange holes were not centered (not a big deal but not hard to do and shows the motives that many of us know tg has)...... and much more

What was TG's respose to 4rnrricks findings? They told him they didnt want his business anymore!
A guy I deal with who knows 4rnrrick showed me the pics of this a few weeks ago and also the pointing out of the issues with the axle to TG and how they did drop him for the TG mailing / buying list.
Does'nt Give me a bunch of confidence in there stuff or their customer service not to menchin their warranty
Old 01-07-2008, 07:22 AM

*cough* bump *cough*
Old 01-07-2008, 07:27 AM

seems like a waste of money to me unless u are competing...

round here, rear housings are cheap or virtually free...I dont hear of many people breaking them. If you do, spend a couple bucks on some metal and beef it up.

If I was forced to buy a new rear I would look at crossed up off road first
Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

*cough* bump *cough*
Ok poop, you were right about the axle. But I wouldn't go so far as to say all TG stuff is trash, for us cheap guys the TG sliders are a good deal.