86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone running a mechanical gauge ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone running a mechanical gauge ?

So I decided to buy a autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge for my 89 4runner with the 3vze ( v6) anyone installed one of these on there 3vze (v6) ?? I understand you have to run a thin oil line from where the oil pressure sensors screws in and 12v for the light and a ground sounds simple enough but how hard is it to fit a thin oil line from the gauge to the oil pressure sensor ? Any input would be awesome thanks !!!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The oil line should be bendable, make sweeping bends, no kinks.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
The oil line should be bendable, make sweeping bends, no kinks.
Ok but how do you connect the thin oil line to where the oil pressure sensor screws in ? Where do I get that fitting ? Autometer ? Earls ? What did you use ? ThAnks.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 PM

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I took out sensor put in a 2 foot grease hose (Same Pipe thread) then I put in a BRASS TEE put one side oil sensor other side mechanical oil gauge so I have both to read. NO guessing oil pressure… then use wire or tie straps to tie it to brake cylinder or buy strap mount to wheel well works perfect!!! I believe its 1/8 inch pipe thread in block brass fitting should have came with gauges plastic line goes to little fitting.

Last edited by gone4x4en; 10-23-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by gone4x4en
I took out sensor put in a 2 foot grease hose (Same Pipe thread) then I put in a BRASS TEE put one side oil sensor other side mechanical oil gauge so I have both to read. NO guessing oil pressure… then use wire or tie straps to tie it to brake cylinder or buy strap mount to wheel well works perfect!!! I believe its 1/8 inch pipe thread in block brass fitting should have came with gauges plastic line goes to little fitting.
Awesome man thanks for the info , I won't have the gauge till sat. Morning.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:35 PM

I took out sensor put in a 2 foot grease hose (Same Pipe thread) then I put in a BRASS TEE put one side oil sensor other side mechanical oil gauge so I have both to read. NO guessing oil pressure… then use wire or tie straps to tie it to brake cylinder or buy strap mount to wheel well works perfect!!! I believe its 1/8 inch pipe thread in block brass fitting should have came with gauges plastic line goes to little fitting.
I would of thought the threads would've been metric , but 1/8 it is 👍
Old 10-23-2014, 10:35 PM

[QUOTE="clok;52231364"] I would of thought the threads would've been metric , but 1/8 it is
Old 10-23-2014, 10:37 PM

So I guess the gauge will come with the fittings.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I don`t know why the 3.0 would be different but all the Toyota Engines i pulled out sensors or plugs use a M10x1.00 thread.

I guess you could get a male pipe thread into metric threads but I use a adapter .

One does what one will.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:39 AM

Ok can someone please confirm the thread size on the oil pressure sensor , I got one saying its 1/8 and another saying its m10x1.00 ? Sure hope the guys at autometer will know when I call them Tomorrow
Old 10-24-2014, 03:58 AM

If it's like the 5vz it's 1/8 British pipe I believe.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
4Crawler (who knows a lot about these trucks) says it's 1/8" BSP (British Standard Pipe Tapered). http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechI...tml#Electrical (Who woulda thunk?)

The good news: http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...il.aspx?vid=59

Marlin Crawler seems to think you can run a BSPT die on your 1/8" NPT fitting and it will be "close enough." http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...read-size.html (NPT is 27/inch, BSP is 28/inch)

The method that is probably least likely to work is just jamming a 1/8" NPT grease hose in there and hope for the best. It might work once (the metal may deform enough to not-leak-much), but you'd never be able to replace it.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't you just get a modern electrical gauge and a modern sending unit? Having boiling-hot oil blown into the cabin at 50 PSI is pretty low on my list of things I'd like to experience.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm a 22re guy. I just removed the extra tapped hole over passenger side motor mount an used correct adapter for oil gauge line. Might be worth while to take a close look at a 3.0 that is pulled from engine compartment to look, maybe Toyota did the same thing with the 3.0 as 22re. Like they've been known to do.

Summit also has many tread adapters also.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mct75
Why don't you just get a modern electrical gauge and a modern sending unit? Having boiling-hot oil blown into the cabin at 50 PSI is pretty low on my list of things I'd like to experience.
Because the modern style gauge cost $130.00 more then the mechanical , plus heard mechanical are the most accurate and reliable , and really how often does having boiling hot oi blowing into the cabin ?? If this has happened to you please say it , thanks.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
4Crawler (who knows a lot about these trucks) says it's 1/8" BSP (British Standard Pipe Tapered). http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechI...tml#Electrical (Who woulda thunk?) The good news: http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...il.aspx?vid=59 Marlin Crawler seems to think you can run a BSPT die on your 1/8" NPT fitting and it will be "close enough." http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...read-size.html (NPT is 27/inch, BSP is 28/inch) The method that is probably least likely to work is just jamming a 1/8" NPT grease hose in there and hope for the best. It might work once (the metal may deform enough to not-leak-much), but you'd never be able to replace it.
Your absolutely right just got off the phone with autometer gauges and they told me it's a 1/8 bspt fitting. They said for some reason most older Japanese vehicles use 1/8 bspt instead of metric.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the info but gonna use the fittings and hose that come with the gauge.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 AM

CorrectCorrect use the oil sensor Thread as a thread gauge, the kit should come with a little brass fitting to inter change to get the correct thread, make sure to fasten down the hose loosely in middle for little movement ( dip stick bracket) and good on Tee end so when 4x4ing wont bounce around. Make sure to triple check fittings to be tight. Got so excited to see oil pressure for got to tighten gauge side nut sprayed little oil all over clutch and brake peddles...

Last edited by gone4x4en; 10-24-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by clok
... how often does having boiling hot oi blowing into the cabin ?? ....
It's a 3mm (approx) line with about 50psi max, so while I'm sure it's happened to someone I wouldn't worry about hot oil.

Gasoline, is a different story. You can buy mechanical fuel pressure gauges (heck, gauges are gauges, an oil pressure gauge has just about the correct range). But each sternly warns that it should NOT be placed in the passenger compartment.

Dripping hot oil would make a mess, but a fine spray of gasoline could ruin your whole day!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
It's a 3mm (approx) line with about 50psi max, so while I'm sure it's happened to someone I wouldn't worry about hot oil. Gasoline, is a different story. You can buy mechanical fuel pressure gauges (heck, gauges are gauges, an oil pressure gauge has just about the correct range). But each sternly warns that it should NOT be placed in the passenger compartment. Dripping hot oil would make a mess, but a fine spray of gasoline could ruin your whole day!
Thank you makes me feel a lot better 👍

Quick Reply: Anyone running a mechanical gauge ?