Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone with driveline vibes after LC coils?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with driveline vibes after LC coils?

Truck is '93 4runner. LC coils, Bj spacers, 4" panhard drop bracket.

I'm getting low speed driveline vibrations after cruiser coils went in, mostly 1st and 2nd gear- haven't run it up to speed as I'd like to fix this before I lose a u-joint at 60+ mph.
My ds angles don't look too bad, but it is still noticeably shifted to the passenger side towards the fuel tank, even with dropped panhard bar.

Has anyone run into this same problem? Seems like a bunch of people are running this same combo of parts with no mention of vibe issues. My u-joints feel ok, but I have yet to pull the shaft and wiggle them out of the vehicle.
It is possible the slight amount of extra angle is just enough to pronounce worn joints that didn't have problems before.

I am willing to extend the panhard bar to perfectly center the rear axle if that is the solution, but it doesn't seem like most people found it necessary.

Thanks! And yotatech is a great site btw, I usually can answer any question I have by searching old threads, and never need to post!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Anybody? Headin out in a few to pull the rear DS and really check the u joints. The more I consider things, im betting that they're the culprit. It seems like having the driveshaft angled slightly to the passenger side of the truck is pretty standard.
Haven't even been able to drive the truck after BJ spacer install yet while I wait for some wheel spacers so I can clear upper control arm.

Anyone running stock steelies and BFG 31s without rubbing after BJ spacers? I knew it might be close , but there is no way even after trimming a lot off of the control arm.
How about with stock sr5 alloys? I have a set of those too, but a couple towns away. Looks like the backspacing on those isn't much different than the steelies.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fraser
It is possible the slight amount of extra angle is just enough to pronounce worn joints that didn't have problems before.
As I understand, definitely yes. The joints get worn in a certain arc and when you increase the angle it isn't smooth anymore.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Moonfish
As I understand, definitely yes. The joints get worn in a certain arc and when you increase the angle it isn't smooth anymore.
That seems to be exactly the case. I got around to pulling the shaft a couple hours ago. The joints aren't horrible but they definitely have a sort of smooth spot in the range they're used to operating in, and are pretty rough/tight beyond that. I have a feeling a new set of joints will cure it. Just waiting for them in the mail.
Also the joints were out of phase with each other, looked like someone had the slip yoke apart and put it back together about 30* off. This may have something to do with the vibes as well.

I'll update when the parts show up and I get it back together.