Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Anybody have a 3VZE that starts good everytime??

Old 08-13-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody have a 3VZE that starts good everytime??

Does anybody's 3VZE actually start good everytime you start it, no matter what temp or how long it's sat?

I just bought my 3rd truck with a 3VZE, it's a 92 Pickup, 5spd and the thing only has 96K miles on it, in great shape.....and I thought maybe I would finally have a 3VZE that started normally all the time.....but no.

Cold start (sitting more than 6 hours) it starts no problem, barely even cranks, maybe one crank and fires right over.

If I stop somewhere and shut it off for like anywhere from 1-15 minutes, it will start right up like a normal engine.

But if it sits between 15 minutes and up until it gets fully "cold" again in like 6 hours, even like 3 or 4 hours later, it starts like complete crap!

It will just crank for like a full 5 seconds and then either sputter a bit and die or sputter a bit and then recover itself and idle normally. It is frustrating as hell.

I have had 3 of these engines, and I don't think they are bad engines at all....but they have all had some sort of starting issue.

My '88 Pickup did the same thing this one is doing, and my '91 Runner would crank forever after getting cold overnight. Never had one just start right every time I turned the key....never.

What is the deal here??
Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine starts no problem. knocks a little though haha
Old 08-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Both of mine always start easy.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:38 PM

Sure, my 92 starts great every time, sitting 5 min. or 5 days. Its the ton of other repairs that keeps me busy, but with 266K miles(i'm pretty sure on the original engine) I'm thankful for reliable starting (knock on wood!). Wish I could help with a diagnosis, but all I can suggest is maybe checking fuel pump connections, change fuel filter, or check your battery terminals. Seems strange its happened to you on several engines, if its cranking over and you're getting spark, it would seem to be a fuel delivery problem to me.

Last edited by Weezer; 08-13-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 PM

mines like yours kinda. mine starts up perfectly every time on a cold start. the only time i do have trouble starting is when it warms up then i cut it off and start it right back up (within a 5 min span) it will take a few seconds to crank and will idle rich at 200rpm and recover smoothly within seconds. mine has never stalled though.

I have always wondered why it has this problem also.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:45 PM

Wow, OK so I guess either I have coincidentally had 3 engines with starting problems or I'm doing something wrong, which I'm not sure you can do....turn the key it should start pretty easy, I don't know what else there would be to do.

Anybody have a guess as to why my engine will start so hard after sitting any longer than 15 minutes, but start fine when cold or sitting hot less than 15 minutes??

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 PM

NO NO NO NO!!!! your method for starting it is all wrong!!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 PM

Mine starts with a bump of the key, everytime. It's one of the things I like best about it.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Man. that does sound frustrating.
I TOTALY GUESSING: Mabye somehow Your fuel is being drawn away from the motor when you shut it down ( kinda like a beer bong). But if it sits long enough, the presure from the fuel tank eventualy pushes it back, so it starts when cold.???
Maybe something in the fuel delivery system is expanding under pressure, then shrinks when the motor shuts down.???
Old 08-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Maybe you should do a Rain Dance or something, Pray to the YOTA gods.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Sounds like your low on starting fluid!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Starts immediately every time.

How are your fuel injectors and fuel pump?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:27 PM

Reading through the Search feature, I see it mentioned that a cold start injector timing switch could cause this. Has anybody ever had trouble with that timing switch?

Anybody know where it is, or how to test it?

Aubs....it is so damn frustrating!! The most frustrating is that it's not all the time. If it started how it does when it's cold in the morning everytime, I would be so happy.

Not sure what it is about sitting for that certain amount of time. I'm thinking it's a temperature issue. When it's dead cold it starts great, when it's hot it starts great, but when it sits for longer than 15-20 minutes, it must get to a certain temp that it just doesn't want to start right at.

PCE91.....The truck only has 96K original miles on it, I'm assuming it's original injectors and pump. I don't think there is any issue with them, it runs great. Idles super smooth and nice, and even though it's called the 3.slow, the thing is pretty quick....at least I think so, for what it is.

I have absolutely NO issues at all with this engine other than crappy starting at those times.

Last edited by mmcpeck; 08-13-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Well it makes perfect sense! After resting for a bit and getting cozy do you like to just get up and go somewhere?

I think your truck is trying to tell you something...
Old 08-13-2009, 07:12 PM

93YotaGuy....that's 2 useless posts now, get the hell out of here.

Do you come here just to be a useless wise ass??
Old 08-13-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by mmcpeck
93YotaGuy....that's 2 useless posts now, get the hell out of here.

Do you come here just to be a useless wise ass??
Don't cry, They were just jokes
Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM

Well make them somewhere else.

One joke is one thing, now you've posted 3 useless posts here and offered nothing.

You seriously scroll through here just to make cracks? How many of those 107 posts offer anything useful?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I read your first post I started thinking to myself, I wonder if the cold start injector would cause that? If it was firing when the engine was warm, it could cause a rich condition, the stumble, even the stall. You might be on to something.

Sorry, I have nothing to offer on that CSI timing circuit. My 3VZE starts everytime, reliably. It sucks on power, but at least it fires right up.

Good luck and post up what you find.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 PM

I've owned my 92 runner for nearly 3 years now, and it's NEVER not started. This is gonna sound almost childish, but sometimes the most obvious is correct:

Have you tested to battery to see if it's holding a charge? It sounds like once it's going and you stop for a short amount of time, the battery hasn't drained enough to prevent it from starting, but it will if you leave it long enough. Just a thought. Best of luck regardless!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd check your cold start injector timing switch.

Mine starts perfectly everytime, FWIW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody have a 3VZE that starts good everytime??