86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another water bypass thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another water bypass thread

I've done some serious work on my '89 4runner sr5 3vze w/manual trans over the last three weeks. The motor is now running smooth so completing my list of other issues with the new to me truck.

When I bought the truck I thought it was funny that as soon as you turn the key to "on", before it even cranks over the first time, the temp gauge reads almost half way up. During the course of doing work on the truck I had the water bypass and all sensors removed, even still the gauge went almost halfway up with the key turned to on. My oil pressure gauge is not working either so this leads me to believe its the gauges and not the sender. What are you guys thoughts?

Part two of my water bypass concerns. Two ports are plugged on my bypass, the TVV has been removed and plugged and the other port on the passenger side of the bypass was plugged as well. Today while doing numerous searches to figure out my gauge situation I have determined I have another issue. I believe the return line for my water bypass is the second port that was plugged.

I do not have a pic of my bypass but it looks exactly like this one minus the rubber hose coming off of it:

I then search images for water bypass because I couldn't remember seeing and sort of pipe that hose could connect to when I had it torn apart. I found this for reference. You can see the bypass pipe "y" off of the big bypass pipe and head up the the water bypass plate.

This reminded me of how mine is, the little pipe that "y's" off has been welded to the heat shield that is behind it. See pic below.

Is this how some of these early 3vze motors were made? If not, what kind of problems will this cause? The motor starts fine and runs smooth. I can't image this bank of sensors is getting the proper flow of coolant possibly causing false readings. What would cause someone to do this?

It almost looks factory and didn't jump out at me when I had it apart. I thought I should remove the big bypass pipe to aid in cleaning the motor and was puzzled as to why toyota would weld the pipe to the heat shield. There is a lot of stuff that manufacturers do that makes me scratch my head so I chalked it up as another one.

Help and insight PLEASE.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 PM

Wow, That is,,,,, Just stupid who ever welded that, It stops all your temp sensors from working correctly.
I suggest cutting that off the exhaust crossover and hook it up correctly.

I dont know how the 89 set up is because I do not see the heater core feed in the first picture.
The first picture from left to right starting with the two open pipes, Throttle body idle up return, Heater core return, EFI coolent temp, Temp gauge (Looks like wrong one, Looks like ECT temp sensor for OD), Coldstart timer, Then what I can only assume is Evap but is electronic then the bypass return pipe.
The second picture is I know from left to right, Bypass return, Evap (always broke), Coldstart timer, Heater core feed, Gauge temp (The correct one), EFI temp sensor, Heater core return and the TB idle up return.
Note, There is a dimple or another threaded hole in front of the gauge temp that would normaly have a auto trans OD sensor that looks like the blue one in the first picture.

I have no Idea where your water feed to your heatercore is from the first picture and I think I see a white plug and sensor hiding infront of the EFI collant sensor in the first picture and have no Idea what that could be.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by greaseball
it proves the engineers are atheists they don't believe in intellegent design
Nothing like adding useful information to bring a 7 month old thread back from the dead.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Locate a part!

Does anyone know where to find this pipe? The dealership stopped making this part and Im having the most difficult locating this darn thing. Its part number 16268-65010. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...626865010.html

Just because it's in their catalog doesn't mean they have it, but it's one place to try.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Thanks! They didnt have the part and I have been looking around at other websites all weekend. Seems that im going to have to just make my own.