Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Another Timing chain Problem

Old 11-05-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Timing chain Problem

I got a 92 runner that had the chain break. I bought it from a guy that bought it from a guy and so on so i don't know the whole story.

My question is has anyone had there 22RE survive a chain break without valve damage? I have pumped compressed air into the cylinders (80psi) and I get a little bit of leaking into the exhaust on number 1 cylinder be the rest are fine. Is there a normal amout of leaking past the valves on a 410,000km engine? I am going to throw a chain on it and see what happends. Anyone have any good stories to tell me?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Flash319
I got a 92 runner that had the chain break. I bought it from a guy that bought it from a guy and so on so i don't know the whole story.

My question is has anyone had there 22RE survive a chain break without valve damage? I have pumped compressed air into the cylinders (80psi) and I get a little bit of leaking into the exhaust on number 1 cylinder be the rest are fine. Is there a normal amout of leaking past the valves on a 410,000km engine? I am going to throw a chain on it and see what happends. Anyone have any good stories to tell me?
my chain snapped while i was slowing down at an intersection and i had to replace the timing chain cover as it was damaged but the valves were fine. Goodluck on yours!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you will be the 1st.

as i've never heard of any "chain" breaking.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Chains break.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 AM

I just turn the cam by hand to close the valves. I took the adjuster screws out when I did this. Ya my cover is chewed up bad, got a new one coming from Engbuildr. I guess I will see.

Looks like the guide on the drivers side broke and then the tensioner blew apart causing the chain to snap. There are heavy grooves down that side of the cover where the chain has been running. I have most of the chain out. I am going to drop the pan and fish anything else out.

Last edited by Flash319; 11-05-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM

I just turn the cam by hand to close the valves. I took the adjuster screws out when I did this. Ya my cover is chewed up bad, got a new one coming from Engbuildr. I guess I will see.

Looks like the guide on the drivers side broke and then the tensioner blew apart causing the chain to snap. There are heavy grooves down that side of the cover where the chain has been running. I have most of the chain out. I am going to drop the pan and fish anything else out.
Good luck man!! And yes Chains brake.. i hate it when people say they dont.. but they do.. or sprokets brake which is just as bad!
Old 11-17-2007, 04:02 PM

Well everyone IT LIVED! I put a new chain on and checked for compression and she fired right up. I can only say that the reason the valves were not destroyed was that it has an auto trans. The torque coverter must have saved it. I pulled the oil pan almost off (diff in the way) and dug out all the chain and plastic. I got all the metal but there is still a little bit of plastic in there but I don't see it being problem.
Lucky Lucky Lucky.......
Thanks Ted for sending the parts fast..........Good stuff as usual.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:29 PM

I can only say that the reason the valves were not destroyed was that it has an auto trans. The torque coverter must have saved it.
You just got lucky that when chain broke, the cam was in a spot where there was no interference. Glad to here its back up and running.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by SCYOTA
You just got lucky that when chain broke, the cam was in a spot where there was no interference. Glad to here its back up and running.
ya i dont see how the 'torque convereter saved it'
Old 11-20-2007, 04:10 AM

Well if the chain broke at a lower speed the piston or pistons would hit the valves stopping the crank (or trying to). On a manual the wheels and weight of the vehical going forward would drive the piston through the valve bending it. On auto trans the torque converter is a one way clutch (somewhat) so the wheels would not be driving the engine when the engine stopped. So the only force that the valves would have to deal with is the rotating crank not the rest of the drive train. This is just a thought not fact.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 AM

Well if the chain broke at a lower speed the piston or pistons would hit the valves stopping the crank (or trying to). On a manual the wheels and weight of the vehical going forward would drive the piston through the valve bending it. On auto trans the torque converter is a one way clutch (somewhat) so the wheels would not be driving the engine when the engine stopped. So the only force that the valves would have to deal with is the rotating crank not the rest of the drive train. This is just a thought not fact.
i have heard if this before! that on valve benders the damage is much worse on a manual especially if the trans was in gear at the time! lets call the myth busters in!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:44 AM

I've personally known 2 people to have the chains break on a 22re with no valve damage. With this case helping to prove my theory. I'm not entirely convinced the 22re is an interference engine.