Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Another rear window thread... please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another rear window thread... please help!

Ok - so I know this topic is spread out all over the place but I haven't been able to find someone with the issue I'm having. This forum has been extremely helpful in assisting me with isolating the issue I'm having. Please read before you flame me.

I recently bought a '95 4runner. The only real issue with the truck was that the rear window wouldn't roll down. It didn't matter whether I used the key through the tailgate or whether I used the switch. I started reading up and realized quickly that there were several rear window problems that plauged 4runners. I started to test for the problem by doing the following:

- pull motor and test using a car battery. The motor worked fine in both directions. Once I put the motor back in I could roll the window down using the car battery. When connecting everything back up I could roll the window up using the key in the tailgate or using the switch but could never roll it back down. Relay issue right?

- pulled window relay box to check for visible issues. When I tried to roll the window up I heard the relay kick in. When trying to roll down I got nothing. So I assumed it was a down relay issue. I found a working relay unit and swapped. Same issue.

- In the process of pulling the motor I noticed on of the window clamps that actually holds the window to the arm was rusted. Fixed that and lubed all parts and window channel. The window goes up and down very smoothly without the motor in place (doing it by hand).

- At this point I was baffled. So I went and bought a 3 way switch from Radio Shack and installed. Window now works without any problems.

So I'm obviously left thinking there is some issue between the switch and relay but I can't seem to figure it out. I checked for possible ground issues and didn't seem to find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 AM

so the 3 way worked? looks like it's off to radio shack for me. Mine sometimes feels like working and sometimes does'nt. Thanks for the help, and sorry I have no advice for you.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by twitchrunner
so the 3 way worked? looks like it's off to radio shack for me. Mine sometimes feels like working and sometimes does'nt. Thanks for the help, and sorry I have no advice for you.
Yep - the three way worked fine. I mounted it in the back which is kind of a hassle to get to but it's better than nothing. I'd really like to find the issue and have everything back to being stock but so far it alludes me. The switch is a three way reverse polarity. I think I paid about $3.00 for it. Also you may want to lube everything REALLY well first. The window channel was kind of gooped up and needed to be lubed. Best of luck.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 AM

I tried to figure it out about 3 months ago when I put my new motor in and cleaned it all. so now I'll get the switch and hope i can figure it out. thanks again.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM

you got a part number for the switch or a description?

ive replaced the relays and my window still wont budge

but i haven't tried to jump the motor yet, which i need to do
Old 07-22-2009, 04:48 PM

maybe try some electra-clean electronics spray on the relays/contacts? the slightest gap in the fittings of the terminals can mess any electronics up...

which reminds me that i better open and clean mine up before this happens...
Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 AM

I'll grab the part number and post some pics and a description of what I did this afternoon. Hope it helps those in my boat.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you're using the 3-way, are you connecting directly to the motor or through the wiring from the relay control box? Sounds like you have a connection issue, although if it rolls up (and not down) that would suggest a relay controller issue. You mentioned you put in a "working relay"... how do you know it's working? I ask because I've been fooled before by a relay that clicks, but the contact points within are burnt and not supplying sufficient current to operate the component.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:28 AM

I connected it right to the motor. Yeah it would have to be some kind of connection issue but I thought I had it nailed with the relay. I tested the working relay on another persons 4runner. Basically I found a motor and relay from a 4runner on craigslist the guy was parting out. He tested it with me right there. I also took my old relay box and swapped the wiper relay with the roll-down relay. Still no joy.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Ok - so I found the part I'm using on the window for those interested.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062531

Basically it's a DPDT 20 amp toggle switch that I connected right up to the motor. I just found a few decent sites for hooking it up properly (as god knows I'm not good with small electronics... or anything really... seriously... ask my wife).

http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-...-reversing-po/

Hope this helps. I'm still on the hunt for the issue and will post back if I ever find it.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like the wiper motor switch has failed, or the wiper isn't going up all the way. There is a built in safety which allows the window to be rolled up, but not down if it senses the rear wiper is anywhere but in park mode.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Sounds like the wiper motor switch has failed, or the wiper isn't going up all the way. There is a built in safety which allows the window to be rolled up, but not down if it senses the rear wiper is anywhere but in park mode.
Yeah - I thought that as well which was one of the first things I checked. The wiper works just fine so I ruled out the motor/switch. But I basically looked up several sites on the positioning of the wiper and put it in every position possible without any luck. My thoughts are - either the wiper somehow (even after all my tampering) isn't in the right spot or the safety mech that detects the tailgate isn't shut doesn't work properly. But when I have the tailgate open and try to roll the window up/down I hear a beeping which I think is normal. When the tailgate is shut I don't hear anything except the UP relay engaging. I never hear the down relay when trying to roll down the window.

I will say this which I'm sure has been said time and time again. For making such nice long lasting vehicles... they sure knew how to screw up something as easy as a tailgate. That whole mechanism is a complete cluster.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Staff

The beeping is normal operation as well, which means the sensor that tells the system the gate is shut is at least letting it know the gate is open.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 PM

ok i jumped my motor and the window still wont move you can hear it trying to work

does this mean something s just rusted stuck or do i need a new motor

and what is the point to hooking up the switch i dont get it
Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 AM

Couple of things you can try. First I would ask when you say "you can hear it trying to work" - do you mean you hear the relay clicking or do you mean you hear the motor trying to move?

It could actually be either. From the plethera of stuff I've read the gears in the motor could be crapped up or the motor itself just weak and unable to move the window. In turn the gears that move the arms (which attach to the window) could need to be lubed and also the channel that the window follows could be dry and need to be lubed. I would start with the easiest thing which is just to lube everything really well and spray some graphite or whatever in the window channels.

If you've reached a boiling point (which I did) and are ready to go a step further you could remove the motor (which is a pain in the ass) and test it using a car battery. Then while the motor is out you could just use your hands and move the window up and down to make sure it glides smoothly without any problems. You most likely have seen this link:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml

It's the first thing that comes up in Google when doing a search for 4runner window problems. It is very useful but is missing a few things for those with 2nd gen 4runners. Just remember if you pull the motor to be careful not to let the window drop or it could break. There are three bolts to remove the motor. The first two won't be a problem but I spent a good hour almost trying to get the third bolt out.

I hooked up a three way switch as it bypasses the relay unit and forces the motor to turn no matter what... that is unless the motor is toast. Basically the 3-way is a crude way of fixing a lot of problems as it isn't dependant on the plethera of safety features that plauge earlier (and later) 4runner rear windows. I'd love to get the factory switches working properly but for now when I need to get the window open to open the tailgate the 3way switch is the ticket. Make sense?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks for all the information in this thread! I'm in the same boat as many on this site. Just bought a 1995 4Runner to use as winter transportation and quickly found out that the tailgate window won't go down with the key or the switches. I can hear the motor wanting to work and can hear a "click" when I turn the key, but nothing happens. Rear wiper works fine, too.

Where is the child lock feature? I'm still getting used to where everything is in this thing so I apologize for the dumb question.

I'm going to attempt a lube job on it tomorrow to see if that'll get it going. I'm not good with electrical jobs so I don't know that I could attempt to install a 3-way.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Staff

2nd gens don't have a child lock feature.

sounds like your motor is bad. Usually what happens is the housing wears out, and allows the gear to pop loosely inside of it. The window then will not move.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or you could have just bypassed your broken lock switch in the left latch.... jumped a wire across terminal 1 and 3 in the white connector on the left side of the gate inside........
Old 10-25-2009, 05:18 AM

I can't even open it from the inside, it's definitely locked. When I try and pull up on the lock, there's no way it's moving. I tried a few f-bombs and that didn't work either.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

What tesh said..worked for me as well...disconnect all connectors and clean them with eletronic cleaner spray. It got mine working (same problem)for a bit and then later I determined I had a weak motor and replaced. It would go up and down very slow, even had to assist it. New motor works fine now...........get some eletronic parts cleaner....works miracles on many applications.

Quick Reply: Another rear window thread... please help!