Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Another Rear Window Question!!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Rear Window Question!!

hey there!

i recently purchased my 89 4runner and have been dealing with the rear window being inoperable with the console switch. i have been on 4crawlers website and went through the relay changes and still no change. Then i decided to pull the carpet to clean it and had to remove the top to unbolt the rollbar since it was on top of the carpet on one side. i realized while doing this that there is no rear window wiper or motor! my question is was that an option or was that standard equipment for all runners. there wasn't even any wiring that i could find that appeared to the unhooked from the top.

thanks for your help!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 PM

wow!!!! yes there on every runner the clip fo rthe tail gate is in the drivers side rear panel the one that comes off you look at the bottom and there should be a clip there thats were the rear motor and everything should hook up to if theres no motor then the rear glass should beable to come down unless its welded or braced with something take the rear carpet and panel off and check it out!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM

yeah that's what i thought. i will try to attach a pic of the rear of my top. you can see the plus and the black piece that i think the wiper should rest on. i have pulled the rear side panels and the only clip with multiple wires is the one going in the rear gate. i have done the bypass on the window motor by connecting a battery to the motor directly and it works fine but i tried going through the truck starting at the rear moving towards the switch and find anything wrong. i am just unsure if there is a factory plug/connection that is unhooked that is overriding the switch operation.
Attached Thumbnails Another Rear Window Question!!-dsc00711.jpg  
Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 PM

ok that plug for the wiper is differnt then the one for the rear window are you trying to get the rear window to go up and down with the switch or trying to get the rear wiper to work?

the rear window has a nice sized plug on it theres 2 wires for the motor 1wire for the lock switch one wire for the tail gate shut switch and one wire for window down so there should be about 5-6 wires in the plug its on the drivers side under the water bag(you might not have it anymore) and under the stock jack it goes from the top switch to the bottom of the body so the wires can go out to the gate the plug might just be hiding on you try and get some pictures of the inside of the drivers panels just use a flash and aim the camera in there it should work just as good
Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 PM

if you like i can give you a call on the phone and kinda walk you though this man makes it easier to do this and then i can go outside and look at mine as well

does it work with the key? on the tail gate it self?