Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Another no start Runner? ,3.0 diag advice plz...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another no start Runner? ,3.0 diag advice plz...

Hello folks.
Here's the scenario, maybe some real techs can shed some light in this dim garage...
94 3.0 Runner motor died at highway speed, and after the tow in the snow, I found the usual crusty fuel lines off the FP bracket and a crusty seeping rear pressure line. All the bad lines have been renewed with new FP and filter. Still no start.
Motor turns over, Dizzy spins, spark at the plug, tried some ether in the TB, nothing, gas seemed to be plentiful in the TB, prob. from optimistic cranking. Oil and AF look clean. Haven't done a compression check. Fuses and relays are good. Did the paper clip diag. trick to make sure pump was humming and pressure is in the line. Checked MAF meter resistance and cold start resistance both seem within spec. Any advice would be great, also any way of checking FPR without pulling the intake? I have the FSM, but am getting that 3.0 WTFeeling, ya know? Will check compression when I find my gauge set. It was running/idling good, with just a hint of AF smoke, would'nt a motor at least try to start with a blown HG or iffy exhaust valve in one cylinder? Much thanks, I have been digging through the threads and the FSM, just looking for some wisdom from the real world. Miss my 86 4cyl more than ever.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 PM

check you air flow meter resistance, relays and fuses , Circuit opening relay (above ECM in passenger kick panel.) I know this sounds bad but try holding the key in the start position, if it runs until you let off then unplug your cold start injector and then try it. If it doesn't run with it unplugged then you probably arent getting fuel into the cylinders. which means the injectors arent firing. There are a few grounds in the engine compartment worth checking.
Try to start it with the Throttle position sensor unplugged, should still run if its bad but maybe not. Check for any vacuum leaks, especially in your intake hose. will try to think of some more. Look at my thread named "Once again my 3.0 wont start". Lots of things to check on there.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 AM

Thanks for the advice

I'll check again tonight, driving to work in dad's Prius.....all shiny and eco friendly an stuff, quite a different experience from the old 4R. Thanks for the comment. I'll keep ya posted.