Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ANOTHER CB thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANOTHER CB thread...

OK, minor project for the day is mounting my CB. Now, I've seen the ashtray one, and mine's too big for that. I thought of the DIN slot, but I'm not sure if there's anything to mount to underneath without spending most of my day making a new bracket. Can anyone shed any light on this. What I'm looking for is other locations where it will be largely hidden (Truck sits outside at night). It's an 89 4Runner and the CB is a Cobra 18 WX ST II. If at all possible, can someone send pics with their description?

And Happy family day (Or Louis Riel day in MB) to all those in Canada
Old 02-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I was thikning of mounting one on that little plastic peice thats under the radio bezle. In front of the shifters. I dont have any open space under my sterio, and I want to keep my ashtray.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well I have mine mounted were the hood latch is since I no longer need a hood latch ive just cut it out and went with hood pins fits nicely and ive got a big cobra... if you get a small should work great with out taking out the hood latch
Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 PM

Do you have a center console??
Old 02-18-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay351
I was thikning of mounting one on that little plastic peice thats under the radio bezle. In front of the shifters. I dont have any open space under my sterio, and I want to keep my ashtray.

that is where mine is mounted will get pics some time
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM

yeah, I've got the center console. I've thought of putting it there, but the rear heater core is underneath. I thought maybe between the seat and the console.....
Old 02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I figure since that peice is so easily removable, instalation or removal will be a peice of cake. Plus it will KINDA hide it from prying eyes.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:28 PM

I personally like it under the dash either driver side or passenger side, seems to work pretty good and its within reach. Unless you put it farthest away from you on the passenger side. Problem is no matter where you put it somebody will be able to see it unless you put it inside your glovebox or center console.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:16 PM

just pop it down beside the passenger seat, you can reach all the buttons great and it wont bug ya while you drive, to hide it cut a tissue box's bottom off and leave like 3 tissues with one hangin out and just pop it over your cb INSTANT camo.either that or throw it above the Ebrake(below ignition beside stereo) and make a clean cut out of the kick panel, if you mount it kinda in behind not sticking out you can use the cut out piece with some velcro on it to cover the cb from prying eyes.......
Old 02-18-2008, 06:21 PM

Seeing it isn't such a big deal... it's how easy it is to remove from where it's seen that concerns me. My last stereo went missing with a quick yank that pulled out a large chunk of speaker wiring. The other thing I've considered is doing the ahead-of-the-sunroof mount idea I've seen on here, and making it a quick-release system using the power supply connectors from an older pentium cpu fan. I'm almost thinking that's the best idea, but I might want to remove the mirror and go with one mounted on the glass (kinda like my old dakota). Personally if I didn't need to put my window down, I'd put it in the driver's side door just to keep my #$%^&* passengers from messing with it....that might be an idea, actually. Does anyone know if the storage compartments can be removed easily without too much modding?

Last edited by stupid_mud_gremlins; 02-18-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-18-2008, 06:32 PM

You gave me an idea I am thinking of mounting mine on the headboard now... I wonder how much work it would take to make it look good...?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 PM

no work... just get some felt and some cardboard.... tape the cardboard into the general shape you want with hole etc... wrap it in felt cut the hole with an X wrap the felt inside , tape it. then just slather on some fibreglass resin.... leave like a flange of felt just flat out about say 6" all around and also resin that. that is now a mounting flange.... drop the headliner , screw the mounting flange on with self tap screws that wont go through the roof(or dont screw it at all tape it or something) and only cut enough hole in the headliner for the body to stick out not the flange. now just get some of that sheet metal trim stiff you push over sharp edges *like door trim stuff* and wrap the hole in the headliner.. done!

dont forget to take out the cardboard after the resin dries