Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Another brake upgrade/repair question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another brake upgrade/repair question

I wanna start by saying I'm not just posting without searching.

Issue, my calipers are old rusty and now sticking. When I'm at speed and hit the brake the truck turns right pretty hard. Only one hand on the steering wheel? You are practically in the next lane after breaking.

However, I'm trying to figure out if I should just replace the calipers with the same or go for an upgrade. The reason I'm asking is I have an 88 v6 4runner. I've read some threads which seem to lump these in with t100s, and others that consider them 1st Gen 4runners and need to be upgraded. Trying to figure out what is ground truth.

Since this truck used to be a 3.slo, does that mean my master needs to be upgrade too, or is not necessary?

My intention is keep it all Toyota and not do the stuff I saw on pirate (ericb?). Just a personal preference...like the 3.4 swap. Just wanted to keep it Toyota truck where the choices were basically a coin flip.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Do you find your brake performance lacking when everything is working like it should??

I have never seen any real world numbers on these so called upgrades .

Just claims of replacing old worn out parts with brand new .Then Wow the brakes are so much better

Just know the caliper upgrade might not work with the steel wheels

I have always keep the brakes up to my standards with no problems.

Don`t forget the rubber hoses .
Old 05-06-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Do you find your brake performance lacking when everything is working like it should??

I have never seen any real world numbers on these so called upgrades .

Just claims of replacing old worn out parts with brand new .Then Wow the brakes are so much better

Just know the caliper upgrade might not work with the steel wheels

I have always keep the brakes up to my standards with no problems.

Don`t forget the rubber hoses .

Im with you. Can lock my wheels with the regular brakes, so what are you gonna upgrade? All these calipers need some loving every once in a while because of how they work. 4 pistons need to move together unlike other cars with a slider. Im in canada and need to rebuild them every 2 years or so due to the rust seizing them.

You can get the rebuild kits from Rock auto. Easy job.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:15 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Not much for you to upgrade. V6 should have larger Pistons in calipers. You can upgrade the rear wheel cylinders but have to modify shoes to fit. If you were happy with them before just replace them. Your master cylinder should be 1" too.

I noticed as I went up on tire size that the upgrading was of interest to me.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:44 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by snyderiii
However, I'm trying to figure out if I should just replace the calipers with the same or go for an upgrade. The reason I'm asking is I have an 88 v6 4runner. I've read some threads which seem to lump these in with t100s, and others that consider them 1st Gen 4runners and need to be upgraded. Trying to figure out what is ground truth.
i think that '88 and up v6 was the year for bigger calipers? check the casting numbers, and see if the piston diameters match each other: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...uestion-78207/

i'd suggest replacing the front hoses as well.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
X2 on replacing brake hoses. You'll get the best results from braided SS vrs rubber. But new rubber is better than old.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I use an air hose and flush the brake lines out and then let some Marvel Mystery Oil set in the lines for a few days and flush again. You will get all kinds of rust and gunk out of the lines when you do that. I remove the line from the master cylinder and slave cylinders/calipers and blow thru it that way.

If I recall right my brake job on my 85 cost me $250 for everything new/rebuilt from my local parts store and that was with new front wheel disc, master/slave cylinders, calipers, pads and shoes. I had my rear drums turned. My truck will stop straight and put you in the windshield if you stomp on them. My hoses were in great shape so I did not need to mess with them.