86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another 3vze problem thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 3vze problem thread

Hi there all. I'm not new to Toyotas but I am new to this 3vze. Its a 92 xtra cab 4x4 5 speed V6. I just did a headgasket swap on it and its at 242k miles but it looked good inside so compression is not a problem. What seems to be happening is when I get on it its slower to get up to speed and when doing 55 mph or around there and in 4th it will not pull at all and even has a hard time keeping to that speed. And in 3rd when I reach the 2800 where these things usually start to really pull at it just keeps going like usual no pull like it should have in any gear. It seems like once I get to a certain RPM where it should pull it falls on its face. It kind of tries then decides its a bad idea. The temperature thing behind the intake that has 2 vaccum lines to it is busted and the line is just run direct to the place it goes to. This should not affect the motor once it is warmed up. The V6 is only going to be in it for a month but for the month I have it I want it to be able to at least do as good as my 22R in my 82. Its got 4.30 gears and 235s on it so gearing isnt the problem. Anyways I'm sure someone has had a problem similar to me before and I have done some reading and have lurked around this and other boards for a while and cant remember anything just like this. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 82yota
Hi there all. I'm not new to Toyotas but I am new to this 3vze. Its a 92 xtra cab 4x4 5 speed V6. I just did a headgasket swap on it and its at 242k miles but it looked good inside so compression is not a problem. What seems to be happening is when I get on it its slower to get up to speed and when doing 55 miles per hour or around there and in 4th it will not pull at all and even has a hard time keeping to that speed. And in 3rd when I reach the 2800 where these things usually start to really pull at it just keeps going like usual no pull like it should have in any gear. It seems like once I get to a certain RPM where it should pull it falls on its face. It kind of tries then decides its a bad idea. The temperature thing behind the intake that has 2 vaccum lines to it is busted and the line is just run direct to the place it goes to. This should not affect the motor once it is warmed up. The V6 is only going to be in it for a month but for the month I have it I want it to be able to at least do as good as my 22R in my 82. Its got 4.30 gears and 235s on it so gearing isnt the problem. Anyways I'm sure someone has had a problem similar to me before and I have done some reading and have lurked around this and other boards for a while and cant remember anything just like this. Thanks for any help.
Top end power loss... Hmmm... I think that it seems my motorcycle does the same thing. One of two things or maybe both.

double check your timing, and then check fuel delivery. Sounds ignition related to me. Hows it go when your out of gear? Does it rev freely or does it hesitate? my motorcycle has bad coils, maybe a dirty carb too, but the carb isnt an issue with EFI.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:10 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like timing to me too. You need to jumper the DIAG plug (there's a diagram on a sticker on the bottom of the hood). Should be 10*BTDC per factory, but quite a few people are running 12* with no issues on reg gas.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Contributing Member

I'd say check the timing. maybe have to resurface the head, I think, maybe. check the cat, and exhaust system, and also the coil.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:19 AM

I've been playing with the timing and when I jumper the Te1 and e1 things in the diag box it does not change the timing at all. I've set the timing all over the place and it hasn't really changed anything. Yes it revs freely sometimes when I rev it up with no load and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't checked to see if the cat is clogged or not. Its got a Flowmaster muffler on it so the muffler isn't the problem but the cat may be plugged. When I put that jumper wire in the diag box and watch the timing with the light is it supposed to change? I've got it set right at 8-10 right now. If it will help the motor with power I'll bump it up to 12. I'm not really worried about longevity of the engine cause the diesel is going in in a month. There is a junkyard that I am going to this weekend that has a runner with a V6 in it and I will take whatever parts you guys think could be causing the problem. I am for sure taking the seat belts as mine are bad shape. Thanks for the replys.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:43 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Jumping the pins just ensures you're at base timing - it may or may not change depending on whether the engine thinks it needs to advance or not.

I would definitely rather be in the 10 - 12 range than the 8 - 10 range.

The next thing I would do in the "bang for the buck" diagnosis series is run some Seafoam through a vacuum line.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:24 PM

I'm going to try taking the cat off and running it to see if the thing is plugged and if so I'm gutting it. I know you guys really do not like people gutting cats and if the motor was to be in the truck for any large length of time (say more than a month or 2) I would buy a new one and put it on. But I just can't justify spending the money on a cat when my diesel is coming in a month. I spoke to a mechanic today and he said he thinks it is the cat as well. Thanks for the replys. Oh and if the exhaust I am running on the diesel was the same as what is on there now I would get a cat.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would defently check the cat.
It sounds like it is plugged up.
Did this engine pop the hg with that exhaust system on it? If so your cat is ruined.
What size piping are you using?
Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Yes it did. Its just got the stock pipe on it right now. Its all it can do to get to and hold 55mph right now. I'm getting it safetied tomorrow and when I bring it home I'm going to take the cat off and cut the flanges off that and weld them on a piece of 2 inch pipe and that should be good for a month.