Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another 3vze mystery leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 3vze mystery leak

Hello all, please bare with me it's my first post
Recently purchased my 95 4runner 3.0 3vze.
The only issue the seller said it had was a leaking oil pan gasket which I thought no problem, ez fix.
After driving it home and parking I see a massive amount of oil puddled below on the ground. Everything from the oil pan to the rear end was soaked. Cleaned all oil off and traced the leak to the main seal. I pulled the front off and changed the main seal, oil pump, and oil pan gasket. After test drive I look under truck and the oil problem is still there. I have oil covering everything again.
The leak only appears to be major when driving. I sat underneath looking for a drip with the truck idling for 20 min and no luck. The source (wet spot) is up behind the AC compressor. Could it be the R corner of the valve cover? When changing out the main seal I did not see any leakage on the cam seal and the valve cover from what I can looks dry. No white smoke, no oil in coolant, and the oil is not milky so I don't suspect a head problem. The previous owner said he recently put new valve cover gaskets and head gaskets in.

Has anyone ever had this issue, any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you tried observing the engine from underneath while someone holds the engine at 3000 rpm?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you sure its engine oil and not power steering fluid?
Old 12-21-2013, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.
People tend to over-tighten valve covers, the 3.0 are plastic and I've seen more than one engine with cracked valve covers from that. Also the fsm recommends fipg at the corners, and only torque to specs, 4-5 ft lbs, no more. I've stuck cardboard under my truck to see if I can find where it's coming from, and I wouldn't rule out what fdj says, the pressure side of the ps pumps can leak at the fittings and pump out a lot of oil. It should be red but when I changed my oil last week I check my ps fluid and it was dirty so it could look like engine oil too.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Have you tried observing the engine from underneath while someone holds the engine at 3000 rpm?
Going to remove the ac compressor and try that.
Thanks!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by fdp101452
Are you sure its engine oil and not power steering fluid?
100percent sure it's engine oil. It lost a whole court of oil during my test drive after changing the main seal.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
Welcome to the forums.
People tend to over-tighten valve covers, the 3.0 are plastic and I've seen more than one engine with cracked valve covers from that. Also the fsm recommends fipg at the corners, and only torque to specs, 4-5 ft lbs, no more. I've stuck cardboard under my truck to see if I can find where it's coming from, and I wouldn't rule out what fdj says, the pressure side of the ps pumps can leak at the fittings and pump out a lot of oil. It should be red but when I changed my oil last week I check my ps fluid and it was dirty so it could look like engine oil too.
I spoke to the last owner that did the vcg job. He said he didn't put any fipg on it so that might be the issue.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by cativokane
Hello all, please bare with me it's my first post
Recently purchased my 95 4runner 3.0 3vze.
The only issue the seller said it had was a leaking oil pan gasket which I thought no problem, ez fix.
After driving it home and parking I see a massive amount of oil puddled below on the ground. Everything from the oil pan to the rear end was soaked. Cleaned all oil off and traced the leak to the main seal. I pulled the front off and changed the main seal, oil pump, and oil pan gasket. After test drive I look under truck and the oil problem is still there. I have oil covering everything again.
The leak only appears to be major when driving. I sat underneath looking for a drip with the truck idling for 20 min and no luck. The source (wet spot) is up behind the AC compressor. Could it be the R corner of the valve cover? When changing out the main seal I did not see any leakage on the cam seal and the valve cover from what I can looks dry. No white smoke, no oil in coolant, and the oil is not milky so I don't suspect a head problem. The previous owner said he recently put new valve cover gaskets and head gaskets in.

Has anyone ever had this issue, any suggestions?
I pulled the power steering pump out of the way and ran the engine with out load until hot. The oil leak was coming from the head gasket. Dripping out from the outside edge where the visible gasket flange at bolt #8. Pulled the head. Visually the gasket is good however it seems that it seats off center. According to the previous owner the gasket was purchased from Oreily's.
Have any of you experienced bad luck with head gaskets from there? Going to get a Toyota gasket from the dealer and hopefully that takes care of it.
This a was my first big job on an import(god bless!)