Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Alternator wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator wiring problems

First i have a 94 pickup with 22re with 130k completely stock. So I changed my fuel filter today, started the truck to test drive it. Shut it off to move the car in front of it and then I went back to it and could smell burning/melting. Turns out it was coming from the plug that goes into the alternator. Pulled the plug and it's all melted and the terminals in it are burned right off. Also it blew the 80amp fuse too. So the questions are; where can I get a new fuse and the plug? My auto store in town doesn't carry the fuse. Also any ideas on why the plug would have shorted out??? Went from a nice easy filter change to this crap. Help guys please. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Did you remove the negative side battery cable when you did the fuel filter?
I've seen your problem happen when the cable is not making a good contact with the negative terminal.

The main fuse should be available at your local dealer (bummer that your parts store doesn't have them, most of them do since it fits so many years of Toyota stuff) and the plug? Sounds like a trip to a wrecking yard. The harness part that you need can be disconnected at both sides (at the alt, and then up at the fender well, well hidden plug near the coil/igniter area).

Just remember, that 80 amp main fuse is SCREWED into the fuse block. You'll need to unbolt the fuse block, turn it upsidedown, remove the lower cover and unscrew a couple of 10mm nuts to remove it. It will not just pull out from the top.

Sorry. We all hate electrical (actually, i really don't mind it). Keep us posted.

Originally Posted by sherminator866
First i have a 94 pickup with 22re with 130k completely stock. So I changed my fuel filter today, started the truck to test drive it. Shut it off to move the car in front of it and then I went back to it and could smell burning/melting. Turns out it was coming from the plug that goes into the alternator. Pulled the plug and it's all melted and the terminals in it are burned right off. Also it blew the 80amp fuse too. So the questions are; where can I get a new fuse and the plug? My auto store in town doesn't carry the fuse. Also any ideas on why the plug would have shorted out??? Went from a nice easy filter change to this crap. Help guys please. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Just got both parts from the junkyard for 20. Going to check it out tonight. Hopefully the alt is still good.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i'm the electrical guy around here! yeah, what he (putney) said.

here's a great source of alternator plugs:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/japanese.aspx
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM

So, I fixed everything and still got nothing in the vehicle for power. Turns out the battery was dead so I hooked up some jumpers and instantly got a nasty spark. Barely had them on for 5 secs and the alternator started smoking again. So I unhooked the plug and the wire that is bolted to the alternator and tried it again and no smoke and no sparks. So I would assume it's a bad alt. Why would it smoke like that with the jumpers connected? Thanks alot with your help so far guys, and also the negative was loose because the terminal was stripped.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 PM

So, I fixed everything and still got nothing in the vehicle for power. Turns out the battery was dead so I hooked up some jumpers and instantly got a nasty spark. Barely had them on for 5 secs and the alternator started smoking again. So I unhooked the plug and the wire that is bolted to the alternator and tried it again and no smoke and no sparks. So I would assume it's a bad alt. Why would it smoke like that with the jumpers connected? Thanks alot with your help so far guys, and also the negative was loose because the terminal was stripped.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another, less expensive, option for the replacement plug:
http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...Terminals.html
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
probably an internal short in the alternator. take the thing apart and look for black/charred stuff, then look for a wire or something that just doesn't look right. chances are you'll have to get a new alternator. try searching for the "gm 1-wire" alternator upgrade. it's almost a direct bolt-in replacement for about 1/2 the cost of a new toyota alt. just a suggestion