YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Alternator Wiring

I want to rewire my stock 22re alternator in my 1993 2wd pickup and have a couple of questions. Can I wire the stock alternator up with one wire? I want to wire it directly to the starter. My truck is offroad only and I do not use any of the stock accessories.

Click the image to open in full size.

This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
bajaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
This one time, at band camp
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to DeathCougar Send a message via Yahoo to DeathCougar
I am thinking you do not want to wire directly to the starter...but i may be incorrect?

Many of the Demo Derby guys run one wire GM alternators. As long as there is a lead going from the post to the battery, you are good.

BTW, that truck is sick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
Hmmm, dunno. Ask the oem Nazi DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
I'll cut you.
DeathCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #3

Nice ride

You could run the larger wire to the starter how ever the other ones must also be used. The alternator is externoly (sp) regulated and with out the other wires there would be nothing telling the alternator to charge or stop charging. I don't remember what wire goes to what but I changed to a gm one wire and had to modify the harness so the battery would charge.
hope that helps.
wrnchplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
This one time, at band camp
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to DeathCougar Send a message via Yahoo to DeathCougar
A 1993 is internally regulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
Hmmm, dunno. Ask the oem Nazi DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
I'll cut you.
DeathCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Contributing Member

Nice truck! This link helped me understand alternator wiring better:
http://www.autoshop101.com/trainmodu...or/alt101.html

It looks like to me the only wire you wouldn't need would be the one for the charge light.
93 4X4 ext-cab, auto, SR5, 3.4 V6, supercharged, 2.1" pulley, URD fuel mods, Aquamist WI, IPT valve body mod, dual cases, 4" superlift front, Alcan springs rear, 33 BFG KM2, ARB locked front & rear, 5.29 US Gears, RB 1" Body Lift, TJM T-17, Warn m8000.

Last edited by mt_goat; 06-12-2008 at 11:30 AM.
mt_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to just a 22re Send a message via Yahoo to just a 22re
whats the specs on that 22re man? nice ride and yeah what they said is about it man

my name is ALLAN

yeah its a 22re 5-speed 4wd 1987 4runner with a cam, snorkel, welded rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampThing View Post
Going wheeling and going swampthinging are two totally different things. Wheeling is doing something with the expectation of having fun in the process. Swampthinging is doing something and knowing you'll probably end up in a hospital in the process.
http://www.yotatech.com/misc.php?do=flashchat

www.myspace.com/whatsadisplayname
just a 22re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #7

Well what I wanted to do really was just run one wire from the alternator directly to the battery. I guess the stock toyota alternator is not set up to be wired like that. My alternator is not running right now and im sure it has something to do with the stock wiring. I think I will just ditch the stock alternator and go with a beefier GM one wire alternator.

The specs on the truck are:

1993 Toyota 22re 2wd
Custom a-arm's with King 2.5 " Coilover Shocks 13" Travel
62" Long travel deaver leaf springs with King 2.5" shocks 18" Travel
Fully caged front to back with 1.5 DOM
JD Fabrication Upgraded steering with new pitman arm, idle arm and center link
Fiberglass dash, race radio, intercom, parker pumper fresh air system, Lowrance Baja GPS
Autometer Gauges and Tachometer
Beard Ultra Pro seats with Crow 5 point Harnes
33 gallon Bronco fuel tank
33x10.5x15 BFG Baja TA's
Toyota 8" with 5.29's and spool
4 X Hella 500's on the lightbar uptop
2 X Vision X HID Lights on the bumper
Custom aluminum rear led light mount
Craftsman aluminum race jack with custom mount
Optima Yellow Top Battery

Im sure I missed some other stuff but I think that is most of it.

Last edited by bajaguy; 06-12-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Doesn't that suck power from the engine by running the alternator in full charging mode all the time? Plus it will be over-charging that yellow top, something a deep cycle battery doesn't like.
93 4X4 ext-cab, auto, SR5, 3.4 V6, supercharged, 2.1" pulley, URD fuel mods, Aquamist WI, IPT valve body mod, dual cases, 4" superlift front, Alcan springs rear, 33 BFG KM2, ARB locked front & rear, 5.29 US Gears, RB 1" Body Lift, TJM T-17, Warn m8000.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_goat View Post
Doesn't that suck power from the engine by running the alternator in full charging mode all the time? Plus it will be over-charging that yellow top, something a deep cycle battery doesn't like.
Isnt the internal voltage regulator in the Alternator what keeps the alternator from over charging the battery? Either ways I just ordered a GM one wire alternator from Summit and a mounting bracket so it bolts right on the stock toyota alternator mounts.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
Isnt the internal voltage regulator in the Alternator what keeps the alternator from over charging the battery? Either ways I just ordered a GM one wire alternator from Summit and a mounting bracket so it bolts right on the stock toyota alternator mounts.
Did you read that link I posted above? The regulator won't work without the wires connected to it.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #11

you can't easily do a 1 wire installation.

you can make a fairly direct setup to allow the alternator to work. there are 4 connections to the alternator, and the alternator grounds through the housing. there should be 3 connections in one 'plug' and 1 connection through a stud on the alternator.

three connector plug:
-- 1 connection for charging system failure light uses 'differential voltage' to illuminate the light- when the alternator output falls too low or fails, the voltage supplied to the light flows forward through the diode to the alternator and causes the light to illuminate. The diode prevents voltage from the alternator from flowing backwards through the light and lighting it when alternator output is good.
-- 1 connection switched voltage from the ignition switch- energizes the regulator circuit so that when the engine is running the regulator can operate.
-- 1 connection fused from the battery (fused 40A, from constant on voltage)

the stud:
-- alternator output to the battery. (fused 100A or 80A based on alt output, also supplies fused connection above- it has its fuse inline)

All 4 of the connections must be made for the alternator to work.

I recommend going to the battery for the alternator output and not the starter due to resistance losses from the extra length of cable. if your setup has a disconnect on the hot lead to the battery (i've heard of things like this for roll-over or crash protection), then wiring to the starter is acceptable but expect a tenth or so voltage loss and use the largest gauge wire you can, at least 2AWG.

the drawing here shows the basic alternator wiring:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...i/charging.pdf

print it out. it has plug diagrams and fuse ratings listed. keep in mind it is a generic drawing that shows the wires for both the 4 and 6 cyl engines on one drawing. ignore the 6 cyl wiring.

abecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedarian View Post
you can't easily do a 1 wire installation.

you can make a fairly direct setup to allow the alternator to work. there are 4 connections to the alternator, and the alternator grounds through the housing. there should be 3 connections in one 'plug' and 1 connection through a stud on the alternator.

three connector plug:
-- 1 connection for charging system failure light uses 'differential voltage' to illuminate the light- when the alternator output falls too low or fails, the voltage supplied to the light flows forward through the diode to the alternator and causes the light to illuminate. The diode prevents voltage from the alternator from flowing backwards through the light and lighting it when alternator output is good.
-- 1 connection switched voltage from the ignition switch- energizes the regulator circuit so that when the engine is running the regulator can operate.
-- 1 connection fused from the battery (fused 40A, from constant on voltage)

the stud:
-- alternator output to the battery. (fused 100A or 80A based on alt output, also supplies fused connection above- it has its fuse inline)

All 4 of the connections must be made for the alternator to work.

I recommend going to the battery for the alternator output and not the starter due to resistance losses from the extra length of cable. if your setup has a disconnect on the hot lead to the battery (i've heard of things like this for roll-over or crash protection), then wiring to the starter is acceptable but expect a tenth or so voltage loss and use the largest gauge wire you can, at least 2AWG.

the drawing here shows the basic alternator wiring:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...i/charging.pdf

print it out. it has plug diagrams and fuse ratings listed. keep in mind it is a generic drawing that shows the wires for both the 4 and 6 cyl engines on one drawing. ignore the 6 cyl wiring.
Great post! Thanks for the help guys. This forum and Pirate 4x4 are my one stop shop for my Toyota questions. I could rewire the stock alternator but just purchased a GM one wire 100amp one.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
Great post! Thanks for the help guys. This forum and Pirate 4x4 are my one stop shop for my Toyota questions. I could rewire the stock alternator but just purchased a GM one wire 100amp one.
Thanks.

Anyhow, let us know how it goes with the GM alt.

abecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to deserttoy84
what intercom setup is that? how much did the setup cost you and where did you get it? Im building a toyota pickup right now hopefully to race in 1450.
Home made On-board air system
V6 4.88 lock rites F & R
Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks
deserttoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #15

do u know what kit u got
redneckzombie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #16

do u know witch kit do u have
redneckzombie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #17

Anyone know why my alternator isnt. Harging my battery? Every single fuse is good but I check the connections where the fuse goes with a test light but its not receiving power on the bridge. This happened overnight, I woke up and found this out when I checked the volt meter. By the way its a brand new alternator
22R4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
79, alternator, basic, charging, derby, drawing, engine, gm, hot, ignition, older, plug, starter, toyota, wiring