Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Alternator rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator rattle?

Hi guys,

1988 plow truck. Invaluable on our remote homestead.

It's got a rattle that seems to be related to current load. I can sometimes trigger it by turning on the headlights, and usually hear it when moving the plow. Does that make sense? Should I replace the alternator, or look elsewhere?

I have attached a short video to illustrate the sound. It's not steady state, and seems to be triggered by load on the electrical system.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5217.MOV.mov (1.75 MB, 28 views)
Old 10-27-2016, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possible broken alternator bracket?
Old 10-28-2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ewong
Possible broken alternator bracket?
maybe, I will check, and test the alternator with a multimeter.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Broken bracket or really bad bearing if it makes that much noise
Old 10-28-2016, 11:03 AM

thanks - so you guys agree it has to be the alternator since the sound is directly correlated to current draw on the electrical system?
Old 10-28-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

One way to know for sure is pull the alternator belt see if the noise is still there .

Does it rattle when your parked as well as moving .

The things with noises so very hard to tell might not have any thing to do with the alternator .

Could be a Heat Shield

Unless it is really loud with sparks or a burning smell I pay very little attention to things like this

Check the output of the Alternator look for a broken bracket bad bearings don`t tend to get better on there own.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:59 AM

Found out it is the crankshaft pulley - which is broken. So when the alternator kicks in and introduces drag to charge the system, it adds resistance and the pulley rattles against itself.

Definitely not good for the crank!

So - considering it's about to get cold, I have few tools here, I am only here part time, I balance my time between our 4 kids and, well, making a living... and will be working outside until we get a shop built next Summer...

I am obviously going to try to get it off and replace it, but if I don't, what's the worst that can happen plowing this way for a season? I have read the 19mm crankshaft pulley bolt is tough to loosen sometimes. The next time I am up here I'll come with a nice torque wrench and a full complement of sockets to try to make it happen. Looks like the fan shroud should come off, anything else? Do I really need the lower radiator hose off? Looking for the path of least resistance here

I did preemptively buy a new alternator as well but I tested this one and it is working fine.

Cheers.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
The worst that can happen (that I can think of) is the crankshaft pulley will wobble on the crankshaft, chewing up the end of the crankshaft. That means you'll have a junk crank, and I doubt you'll be able to ever get your truck running again.

Removing the crankshaft pulley IS difficult because it is on tight (181 ft-lbs on the 3VZE, a little less on the 22re), and you have to keep the crank from turning while you try to remove the bolt. There are a couple of ways to do this (including the ever-popular "use the starter"), but most of them will only get the bolt OUT (if that). You still have to put it back in, and you still need a tool to hold the crank while you tighten the bolt to 181 ftlbs.

There are lots of excellent shop-made tools described on this site; I (of course) am partial to this one: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...h-3vze-137934/ Pick one out and make it; trying to go half-way is only going to be very frustrating.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:07 PM

hmm - will have to see if I can cobble together the angle iron one. Doesn't look difficult although time is the issue. I did see a guy on YouTube wedge something in there through the holes in the pulley to hold it in place. Bad idea?

How do you guys feel about the "breaker bar, bump the starter" technique?