Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

alternative cross over steering for sas

Old 05-03-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternative cross over steering for sas

hey guys well im swaping a diferent motor in my truck and wile im doing this i might as well try doing a sas for my 90
and i was wondering has anyone fabed up a cross over steering for the solid axle
any hints i was told by another guy who has done this before and all he did was take the arm off the right side from another axle cut it before the bolts that hold it to the knuckle and weld it along with a triangular piece of steel

i am looking for any more ideas that are feasible

any ideas will be greatly acknowledged with great aprieciation
Old 05-03-2008, 06:47 PM

hmm yall must think im crazy but i just got done purchasing my rebuild kit for my 22re and im outa cash i was asking for ideas oh well
Old 05-03-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya'll prolly think I'm crazy but...
toyota SAS crossover steering
Old 05-03-2008, 07:13 PM

i've always been under the assumption that fabbing up steering stuff was off limits. for me, it just seems too risky to put my life and other people's lives in the hands of my welds, especially particularly weak welds on cast steel. if i can give you a word of warning i'd just say this: if you value your life and the lives of your loved ones, go with a kit. save up the money, do it correctly and live to tell about it. a lot of things are worth fabbing on our own, but this isn't one of them. my $0.02.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by idayota
i've always been under the assumption that fabbing up steering stuff was off limits. for me, it just seems too risky to put my life and other people's lives in the hands of my welds, especially particularly weak welds on cast steel. if i can give you a word of warning i'd just say this: if you value your life and the lives of your loved ones, go with a kit. save up the money, do it correctly and live to tell about it. a lot of things are worth fabbing on our own, but this isn't one of them. my $0.02.
I agree. If you're going to fab steering components, put bolts through any and all plates you're welding together and use 'castle nuts' with safety wire or cotter pins to secure everything. On the other hand, you go and buy a car or truck and put your life in the hands of who/whatever built it without much thought. At least protect the lives of others if you're not willing to protect your own life.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PLEASE!!!!!!!! don't skimp on your steering or brake system components!!!!!!!

Save up and do it right.

IT is possible to modify the J-arm but stay the hell away from me on the trail and DO not drive on the street
Old 05-04-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
On the other hand, you go and buy a car or truck and put your life in the hands of who/whatever built it without much thought.
i guess the only difference is they have years of accumulated knowledge, hundreds of highly skilled engineers, the proper equipment, the proper procedures, the proper materials, and the proper test facilities to manufacture said parts...besides that, yeah, we're in the same category as those who built our vehicles! ok, that was a little sarcastic.

mudtoy, don't hear us saying that you shouldn't fab up your own stuff for your rig...just don't fab up steering and braking equipment. it's just too risky. keep wheeling and keep the ideas rolling.